i badly need to improve battery life

King Neptune117

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
is there any way to improve my battery life, maybe an awesome app or something? I cant even get through 12 hours of use with it before it dies. I do use it quite a bit though maybe thats the problem.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
1) If you are using a Pure brand widget, uninstall it/them (I'm told there may be settings that work, but I haven't even bothered testing because there are other similar apps and it was cutting my battery time in half)

2) Take your screen brightness off of "Auto" and manually set it to 20% (it's plenty bright enough).

3) Put your GPS/Satelite widget on your home page, and after anything that uses your satelite (note that sometimes includes going online) toggle it off, wait a couple secs, and toggle it back on (this is due to a bug that will presumably be fixed in an upcoming patch, perhaps the Froyo OTA).

4) Make sure any apps you have that pull data (social widgets, weather widgets, RSS feeds, etc) are set to a reasonable time time for checking

5) That should get you to at least 14-16 hours with moderate to heavy use. You can also download the free version of JuiceDefender, install it and just follow the auto-setup (it pretty much consists of hitting "ok" a couple times and turning off wifi when asked) and then sign into a wifi network whenever you can as it will turn off 3G data for you (which sucks down a lot more battery than wifi).

Profit! - I usually get 16-20 hours off of a full charge. Be sure to charge it past when it says full (at least for the first few weeks), preferably from a wall charger. I get more life out of my X now than I was getting from my Storm...and I beat the heck out of my X compared to the usage from the Storm.

King Neptune117

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
1) If you are using a Pure brand widget, uninstall it/them (I'm told there may be settings that work, but I haven't even bothered testing because there are other similar apps and it was cutting my battery time in half)

2) Take your screen brightness off of "Auto" and manually set it to 20% (it's plenty bright enough).

3) Put your GPS/Satelite widget on your home page, and after anything that uses your satelite (note that sometimes includes going online) toggle it off, wait a couple secs, and toggle it back on (this is due to a bug that will presumably be fixed in an upcoming patch, perhaps the Froyo OTA).

4) Make sure any apps you have that pull data (social widgets, weather widgets, RSS feeds, etc) are set to a reasonable time time for checking

5) That should get you to at least 14-16 hours with moderate to heavy use. You can also download the free version of JuiceDefender, install it and just follow the auto-setup (it pretty much consists of hitting "ok" a couple times and turning off wifi when asked) and then sign into a wifi network whenever you can as it will turn off 3G data for you (which sucks down a lot more battery than wifi).

Profit! - I usually get 16-20 hours off of a full charge. Be sure to charge it past when it says full (at least for the first few weeks), preferably from a wall charger. I get more life out of my X now than I was getting from my Storm...and I beat the heck out of my X compared to the usage from the Storm.

what do you mean pure brand widgets?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the screen even at 0% brightness is a battery annihilator!!!!

Expect to get <5 hours of battery life if all you're doing for those 5 hours is staring at your screen on. Start doing things WHILE the screen is on and expect < 3 or 4.... I kid you not.

There's only 1 other thing that rivals in battery destruction and thats voice calls. I'd say its just about tied with the screen display being on as far as wiping out your batteries charge though.

MoreGeeBeez

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Maybe my phone is a freak, I charge it every 48 hours with moderate usage.

My battery usage shows cell standby and idle above the screen(set to auto). I don't even try to conserve battery by turning features off.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe my phone is a freak, I charge it every 48 hours with moderate usage.

My battery usage shows cell standby and idle above the screen(set to auto). I don't even try to conserve battery by turning features off.

Congradulations............You are lucky,take care of that phone, it is one in a million.

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I was about to linkback at this. I was a battery drainer also, getting 6-8 hours on my phone. I now stand at 40% after 20 hours off the charger after these tweaks - with Wifi on, Screen at 25% and 6 pages of widgets to include messaging and social networks getting push data.

MoreGeeBeez

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Congradulations............You are lucky,take care of that phone, it is one in a million.

Ok, I did post like a newb. Let me clarify....

I guess I'm a little confused by all of these battery threads because so far the phone has been a beast. I've been blown away by the battery life for such a powerful phone. I did take an hour or 2 to go through every single setting on the phone and in apps to setup how it handles data/power draw. Maybe my advice to OP is to do that exact same thing. I also tried ATK and found the phone to last longer and run smoother without.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I did post like a newb. Let me clarify....

I guess I'm a little confused by all of these battery threads because so far the phone has been a beast. I've been blown away by the battery life for such a powerful phone. I did take an hour or 2 to go through every single setting on the phone and in apps to setup how it handles data/power draw. Maybe my advice to OP is to do that exact same thing. I also tried ATK and found the phone to last longer and run smoother without.

People usually come to forums when there are issues, or when they just want more info. You don't hear about the thousands of other people who have absolutely no problems with their phones. They have no need to come here. This applies to every product every time.

MoreGeeBeez

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
People usually come to forums when there are issues, or when they just want more info. You don't hear about the thousands of other people who have absolutely no problems with their phones. They have no need to come here. This applies to every product every time.

I am aware of how internet forums work. Im just saying that out of all the potential issues im surprised so many are battery related. This phone has a big battery and lasts for a long time.

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to have to try this juicedefender...I'm not totally bummed about my battery life - I get about 10 hours a charge, I'm a heavy user, I have adjusted brightness to low and I keep gps, wifi, bluetooth off unless in use...feeds and email set conservatively.
But it would be flippin sweet if I didn't have to charge more than once a day, I dislike having to charge after work if I'm going anywhere.
Also, will froyo help?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Froyo itself probably will neither hurt nor help. But if the GPS bug or some other issues get fixed in the same OTA then the patch as a whole may help. From what I've heard there are actually a couple of other (smaller) issues that effect battery life that Moto is aware of that will probably also be fixed (I'd hazard the guess that these issues are why Froyo won't hit the X for a few more weeks).

Also...the linked Reddit article is excellent, but also requires root, which I am loathe to recommend to anyone new to Android to do before the 2.2 update. It's just too easy if you don't know what you're doing to delete something you shouldn't, or otherwise make it so you can't get the update without going to the forums again and getting a lot of help.

I agree that the odds of bricking your phone are pretty low these days, but still, recommending root to people who are just starting out on Android doesn't seem like a good idea to me with the OTA just weeks away.

That said, for those comfortable doing so, following that article should get you even better battery life and faster performance.

Tytanious

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
My battery used to wind down about 10% an hour. I have brightness at 20%, wifi, GPS turned off, and deleted my Pure Calendar widget deleted. Now its been 9 hours and I'm at 70%. I'm so happy.

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Juicedefender update:
I've used the app for a couple if days, today it seems to have really helped. I did some heavier things than usual (streamed a large audio file for 20 minutes on 3g, watched more video, did more browsing than usual) and it is just now hitting 60%...usually it would be at 50 already with my normal usage. Of course, some of the things the app does are things you could manually do yourself, but it does do a nice job at at it. It's kind of hard to get used to a webpage I had open a minute ago being timed out by the automatic data stop it does, but it will be a small price to pay if the trend of battery life continues...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

AtariFX

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm right there with you on the battery issues. So far I've been unplugged for about 2.5 hours and made a 3 minute phone call and I'm at 83% left. By the time I drive home I'll be in the low 70's. I have no idea why this phone is sucking my battery. Everything is off, I've cleared all my widgets, screen brightness is as low as it will go. The only think I am running actively is Touchdown. But by blackberry with wi-fi on, pushing email and Pandora would last me 6 hours easy. I'm lucky to get 5 here running nothing. I'm afraid to use the thing in case I may actually need to make a phone call.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid to use the thing in case I may actually need to make a phone call.

And don't forget that if it DOES die, it has to charge back up to 20% before the phone will boot again. Using USB at work, that can take a while.

Personally, I think my main problem is that I have a really weak signal where I work and live. If I'm out and about, my battery seems to last longer. Sure Verizon has a lot of area covered, but if it's weak battery draining coverage, what good is it?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513