Can you have a 3g mobile hotspot once rooted w/out paying Verizon?

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I like barnacle.... it tells you total up and down during each session.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I like barnacle.... it tells you total up and down during each session.

for this, i use an app called net counter. allows you to track data usage over a variety of different interval lengths, as well as allowing you to get alerts when you cross a certain threshold of usage

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Barnacle. It works great. Wife and I have 2 x's, so when we travel, we forward home phone to one and use the other for WiFi hotspot with barnacle. We usually tether 2 laptops to the one X and it works fine without hiccups.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm. Any other options out there? I used to use Tether on my Storm 2 and it was awesome.

I want to root the phone, but am going to wait until the Froyo update to do so. I'm not all that savvy on that stuff.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm. Any other options out there? I used to use Tether on my Storm 2 and it was awesome.

I want to root the phone, but am going to wait until the Froyo update to do so. I'm not all that savvy on that stuff.

If you're really just after free tethering, EasyRoot is a simple one click button that roots the phone. You don't need to change anything else. Just download Barnacle and you're golden. The whole thing will take you 5 minutes. If you need to un-root later, you launch EasyRoot and click the one button again and your un-rooted. The risk associated with rooting comes if/when you decide to start removing system apps or possibly getting fancy with some overclocking stuff. You get to decide how far to take it.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

PDAnet. It's free to try, but not WiFi.

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
i only rooted my phone to tether. i won't even install froyo until that's been rooted because i need to tether so badly for work.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
If you're really just after free tethering, EasyRoot is a simple one click button that roots the phone. You don't need to change anything else. Just download Barnacle and you're golden. The whole thing will take you 5 minutes. If you need to un-root later, you launch EasyRoot and click the one button again and your un-rooted. The risk associated with rooting comes if/when you decide to start removing system apps or possibly getting fancy with some overclocking stuff. You get to decide how far to take it.

I'll give this a try. Thanks a lot!

UPDATE, five minutes later: You weren't kidding. That was beyond easy. This forum, and the gurus here, rules.

Last edited:

anon(40612)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Has Verizon ever done anything to actively block this solution for free wireless tethering? It's so easy, that I'm surprised they haven't tried to get this blocked on their phones. Maybe I'm just a bit too accustomed to AT&T & iPhone business practices, but it just seems like this is going to have a direct effect on the Verizon bottom line.

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Has Verizon ever done anything to actively block this solution for free wireless tethering? It's so easy, that I'm surprised they haven't tried to get this blocked on their phones. Maybe I'm just a bit too accustomed to AT&T & iPhone business practices, but it just seems like this is going to have a direct effect on the Verizon bottom line.

Probably not the bottom line, the vast vast majority of people will never root their phone. And I really do not see how they could either.

jcarlosfox

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
What an easy set up for both Easy Root and I downloaded Wireless Tether. In TWO minutes I had them both running and a WIFI network set up and in use.

Easy root is well worth the money - $0.99 to $5.99. (Kind of an honor system. I paid the recommended amount, but if it works with Froyo, I'll be back and pay some more.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae