Kudos to Motorola?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have to say, I've been very impressed by Motorola's support of the X. Every phone has had their share of hardware & software issues, since the day I've been buying them. We've seen it with the EVO, Incredible, Galaxy, Moment, Blackberry's, iPhones, WM phones etc.. The Droid X has not been exempt.

That said, Motorola:

• Has a support forum with a dedicated Motorola employee (Matt) managing the forums.
  • Matt apparently has a direct line to engineering, because he reports back important information - and more importantly acknowledges issues, and communicates their commitment to finding root causes and getting them fixed.
  • When weird hardware issues come up like the camera shutter getting stuck, random reboots, whacky screen behavior, etc. they don't try to act like the issue doesn't exist. Instead, they acknowledge the issue and encourage customers to exchange them for a new phone.
  • There are clearly some issues with Exchange 2003 integration. Instead of making people wait until Froyo, and risking losing important business customers, they are giving away free licenses for Touchdown (which is superior to the built-in messaging app anyway and Moto should just acquire Nitrodesk IMHO).
  • There are also a few software glitches that they have acknowledged. The ringer bug is clearly a weird one, but again at least they came up with a workaround and shared it with their customers.

I listed all of these things, because these are things that the other manufactures are NOT doing very well. Overall, I feel proud to be a Moto customer, and appreciate their efforts.

So that's how I feel today. 4 weeks from now, if Froyo isn't out, I might have a "what have you done for me lately" point of view, but for now that's my story.

Sound off... What do you guys think?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
After seeing the horrible mess the engineers had to work through to find a better temp fix for the silent ringer issue, they all have my utmost respect. Any software guy who works that hard to fix something cares about more than a paycheck.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It is definitely great to hear how they are helping out their customers. I also agree that it's so refreshing to see them listening to their customers and taking care of the issues. I hope they continue to show this kind of support as time goes on.

PS, would you mind unlocking the bootloader for us? Please?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i have been extremely satisfied as a moto customer. people can say what they will about philblur, but it is clear that moto took a serious look at the mess that was on the cliq/devour, and actually made improvements to make a very serviceable UI. the fact that they arent sitting on their laurels and actually continually making improvements to their devices is great to see.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
One other promising sign is that they are releasing Froyo for the original Droid. Some of the other phones - who's names I won't mention - were not supported as far as the Droid was. So we could be seeing some pretty serious updates in the next year.

Tobii1

Banned
Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh they acknowledge their technical faults just fine. Fixing them, on the other hand, not their cup of tea. For instance, the Milestone still has reboots and random music playing months after the 2.1 update. They just pushed an update in Canada and nothing was fixed. Matt doesn't even come in the forum anymore to say what the update was about.
Just wait until the X gets near the 1 year mark and these bugs are still around...

tlane01

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I to have been very impressed with the way Motorola has been handling the X. It is a superb phone. I have been a little concerned about the battery life on it until i noticed that i have sent/received 4000+ text messages this billing cycle and realized that my usage qualified as heavy and the battery was lasting pretty well for heavy usage.

I am really interested to see how the DX handles with froyo. my only complaint and more of just an idle ***** is that i wish moto would have pushed 2.2 to the DX on the same day as D2 launched to give us that went with the DX something as well as the people who are buying the D2.

Matt Kline

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
From a hardware standpoint, Motorola has always stuck out in my head as a quality phone. Even as far back as my old bag phone on Cellular 2000.

RizDroid

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Cory -

Oh my!!! Is it real? Am I reading the first post of this thread? No, no, no.

Are Matt & Mark, the ones who delete our messages in Moto Owners' Support Forums, good guys?

Cory, I guess you made a great mistake. You should ask how happy we - Cliq, Cliq XT, Backflip, Quench, Dext, Milestone owners are before starting this thread.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Cory -

Oh my!!! Is it real? Am I reading the first post of this thread? No, no, no.

Are Matt & Mark, the ones who delete our messages in Moto Owners' Support Forums, good guys?

Cory, I guess you made a great mistake. You should ask how happy we - Cliq, Cliq XT, Backflip, Quench, Dext, Milestone owners are before starting this thread.

I'm sorry, I never had any of those phones! :p

Maybe they turned over a new leaf? I'm kind of judging them based on what I'm seeing with the X, but like I said earlier... in the future my opinion might change.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
One other promising sign is that they are releasing Froyo for the original Droid. Some of the other phones - who's names I won't mention - were not supported as far as the Droid was. So we could be seeing some pretty serious updates in the next year.

yeah but rumor has it that motorola only released froyo to the droid because of google stepping in. i think i might have wrote this in a different thread, not sure? but yeah, whats going around is that Motorola did not want to release froyo for the droid 1 because they wanted people to buy the X and Droid 2 since it was receiving Froyo. Google heard this and stepped in (since the original droid is a google branded android experience device) and told motorola that they have 2 options. either release froyo for the droid or google would not allow their proprietary apps (gmail, market, etc..) to be put on the X or Droid 2. Android is open source and free but the google apps are not and are only allowed to selected companies. hence why a lot of android tablets don't have the market app. so if this is all true, motorola did not upgrade froyo on their own and only did it because they knew they had too. keep in mind this is only rumor but it does make a lot of sense. why would they want to release froyo for the droid when the droid 2 is being released soon and also the x has been out for a bit.

RizDroid

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Cory -

Sorry to say... Motorola support is everything but you've said. Moto Owners' Support Forum is under something like a dictatorship, I mean, if you write something they - Matt, Mark & Moto, don't like to read, they simply censor the message.

BTW, Milestone (Droid GSM) is as old as 6 months down here, in Brasil. Quench (non-US Cliq XT) is a baby: 3-4 month old. For the first there is no promise of FroYo, the latter is stuck in Cupcake.

Well, hope you won't change your mind about your "terrific" Motorola Android in the near future. Good luck!

Last edited:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone (Droid X) but I hate Motorola. They're the only Android cell phone company that I am aware of right now that has such horribly limited support for their devices, not to mention locks them down like jailbait panties. They even went so far as to cease and desist rootzwiki from hosting the SBF flash file, so that ya know in the unlikely event the bootloader on this phone does get cracked, we have the means to recover on our own. But nope Motorola just had to step in and shut it down.

Sounds pretty tyrannical if you ask me. Motorola = next Apple?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
We are killing Cory's confidence in Motorola haha. Sorry Cory. Umm Motorola rocks!!! (Im lying but don't tell Cory that haha)

dragozoid

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
i have been extremely satisfied as a moto customer. people can say what they will about philblur, but it is clear that moto took a serious look at the mess that was on the cliq/devour, and actually made improvements to make a very serviceable UI. the fact that they arent sitting on their laurels and actually continually making improvements to their devices is great to see.

What's funny is that most of the people who complain about Blur probably haven't even used it yet. The UI on the X definitely isn't the same as what's on the Devour or Cliq. And hell, if you don't wanna use the stock launcher, there are several alternatives in the market. People just like to find something to put down or complain about.