Those who got or about to get a replacement DX....

sweetsmuckers

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
make sure that it is brand new, if you are still under 30 days, which I am sure most of us are. Phones in the brown box are not brand new, I verified with CS.

Well heres my story, I ordered a replacement couple days ago because of the dead pixels issue. i guess i am one of the unlucky ones to really have a dead pixel on the screen. couple of small bright blue ones and a red one. I can even see it on certain background when i am surfing the net. and even when I am at my homescreen on the same spots. Anyway, the tech told me he ordered me a new phone but it will only be the phone without any of the accessories in the box. Well i was like ok good. i even double checked with him and he keeps saying that it is brand new even though it is just the phone they are sending. so i let it rest for one night.

Then, just a few minutes ago (literally) I called CS to ask for the tracking number and I asked her if the phone they are shipping to me is brand new. guess what she said?.....NO. they are not brand new! i told her about the guy i talked to last night and said to the nice CS rep i just talked to that the tech was a big fat liar. And i told her that i know the conversations get recorded so i hope the higher people gets a listen to what i have to say. And of course, she apologized and I told her it is not you, its that guy who straightly lied to me over the phone (the tech). And without asking her, she said she is going to order me a brand new, in the box with everything, DX. I even verified with her that since we are still under 30 days, I am suppose to get a new phone. She said yes that I am suppose to get a brand new DX. So I am on the waiting game (again until the 27th that she said it will get to my door) but I am happy that this CS was truthful about the whole thing. And no, they did not charge me anything for that new phone.

I know some of you who got your replacement are happy that it fixed whatever issue you had. My issue was that the tech lied to me and he said that it is brand new. i would not have cared if the tech said in the first place that it was a certified like-new but the whole lying thing was unacceptable. I guess that is how they get trained? Oh well, I am happy that there are still some CS that stick up for the customers. :)

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
SOP. This is always how replacements work. The refurbish should not have a battery or accessories.

sweetsmuckers

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
SOP. This is always how replacements work. The refurbish should not have a battery or accessories.

I understand how replacements work. But the fact that the tech lied to me and told me that what I would be getting is brand new (those were his exact words) is unacceptable. I am not one to call VZ CS and tell them BS crap about my phone so I can get a new phone. I have a legitimate issue with my phone, I paid for it as brand new, and I think since it is less than 30 days, I am entitled to getting a new replacement phone (just like if I was to take it to the corporate store and show them the problem and they cant fix it, they would would exchange it right there and then for a brand new DX, if it was in stock). So really basically I am doing an exchange over the phone or I would have taken it to the VZ store here near me right now.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I was told the same thing when I was getting my replacement. No battery, sd card, etc..just the phone but it would be brand new. Also told me I could have it overnighted to me the next day and wouldn't have to pay for another phone.

Didn't get a good vibe about "just the phone" thing so told them I wanted one in original retail packaging. i had to pay for the new phone (which was refunded when I returned the original) and had to wait until 8/4 (replacement ordered on 7/26). Acutally got it on 7/30.

sweetsmuckers

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I was told the same thing when I was getting my replacement. No battery, sd card, etc..just the phone but it would be brand new. Also told me I could have it overnighted to me the next day and wouldn't have to pay for another phone.

Didn't get a good vibe about "just the phone" thing so told them I wanted one in original retail packaging. i had to pay for the new phone (which was refunded when I returned the original) and had to wait until 8/4 (replacement ordered on 7/26). Acutally got it on 7/30.

I am glad you got yours squared out too. I wished they wouldn't lie to us...they should be straight out and just say it is a certified like-new device or brand new in box.

droidX1991

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
wtf!!! I got a "certified like new device" and CS told me they werent handing out new phones for warranty!!! SH**ty service id say....

I would call and ask for a brand new one but thats too much of a hassle. Mine works fine so whatever.

jessica054

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Now I don't feel crazy... I ordered my replacement X because it had a defective speaker on Aug 5th... I asked the rep whether I'd be getting a new one or not. He said yes. I called back yesterday just to get a confirmation and see if they had an expected ship date for my phone, besides the info I was given originally. I again asked to make sure I was getting a new one, and the rep said, "Yes, there are no refurbs for this phone yet because it just came out." (However she said it in that way that made you feel stupid for asking) But anyways, I am glad I asked, but I guess I guess I will see what I am getting when the phone arrives.

sweetsmuckers

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
They do have like-new phones in stock. They replace whatever was defective and now it is a like-new device. They are flat out lying saying there are no refurbs yet because im sure there are enough returns or exchanges for reasons like the volume issue or the screen issue. If there were no refurbs at all, they'd be sending it new in box with everything. And again, i verified this with the rep i talked to last night and said to me if it is just the phone, it is not brand new and that someone had returned it for some reason and they fix or replace whatever was the problem with that phone so it is like new and are told to say it is brand new. I understand it will be going through more inspections but i have received defective refurbs in the past.

tpierce67

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Well this is total bull****. I'm still in my "worry free" period and I just got my replacement.....in a white box, phone only. I was told it was brand new device but I have my doubts as well.

The sales Rep at the corp store told me they would order a replacement and have it shipped to me....and that it would only take a couple of days. He assured me it would "brand new" but only the phone, no battery, SD card, etc

This was on Friday 8.6. So one Monday i call to get an idea of when it will ship and was told by a very nice girl it was shipping out THAT day and I should expect it in a couple days.

So I call back yesterday 8.10 to get a tracking #. I was also told that since the phone is back ordered that it would not ship until 8.23......I just got it this morning. I'm really loosing faith in VZW as of late. CS is declining IMHO and their whole marketing of new devices is terrible. They have released a device and can't provide it to their customers. It's all a game to create demand......i realize that.

But when my phone craps out and I can't walk into a store during the first 30 days and get a replacement, new, in the box with that warm and fuzzy feeling as i walk out is just NOT COOL.

sweetsmuckers

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Well this is total bull****. I'm still in my "worry free" period and I just got my replacement.....in a white box, phone only. I was told it was brand new device but I have my doubts as well.

The sales Rep at the corp store told me they would order a replacement and have it shipped to me....and that it would only take a couple of days. He assured me it would "brand new" but only the phone, no battery, SD card, etc

This was on Friday 8.6. So one Monday i call to get an idea of when it will ship and was told by a very nice girl it was shipping out THAT day and I should expect it in a couple days.

So I call back yesterday 8.10 to get a tracking #. I was also told that since the phone is back ordered that it would not ship until 8.23......I just got it this morning. I'm really loosing faith in VZW as of late. CS is declining IMHO and their whole marketing of new devices is terrible. They have released a device and can't provide it to their customers. It's all a game to create demand......i realize that.

But when my phone craps out and I can't walk into a store during the first 30 days and get a replacement, new, in the box with that warm and fuzzy feeling as i walk out is just NOT COOL.

I totally agree with you. The first replacement will be arriving today but it will go back to them this day. I have to accept the package and slap on the return label and return it back since the nice CS lady i talked to last night ordered me a brand new phone (puts me back on waiting until i get it on the 27th). Hey, at least I get my phone NIB.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
A couple of things I found out while getting mine replaced...

1. It seems they make a distinction between getting a replacement under warranty OR under the 30 day guarantee. If replaced under warranty, they send "just the phone". If under 30 day guarantee, they send out NIB but will want to charge you again then refund when the original is returned. If you talk to a tech who isn't able to resolve an issue with the phone and he orders the replacement, it will most likely be "just the phone"; so once it's been established that the issue isn't resolvable, be sure to tell the tech that you want to replace the phone under the 30 day guarantee rather than under warranty.

2. If you get "just the phone" replaced under warranty, this voids your 30 day guarantee. Not positive this is true but this is what I was told when I was getting mine replaced, and was one of the main reasons I decided against getting "just the phone".

Having said that, from what I've been reading online it seems people getting reconditioned phones are happy with them. I suppose one could even argue that they have gone through additional QC. Either way, after the 30 days all replacements will be under warranty so aside from just the principle of the getting a NIB, not sure how much it really matters.

BIG CAT #7

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I was told that the replacements are just gutted and everything is replaced in the phone. So you are getting pretty much a brand new phone. Even if there is any scratches on it (which I have never seen) they will replace it so it is new like out of the factory. I had a go round with a rep on the phone and they transfered me to a tech and he explained the whole process to me. he said that all the replacements are basically new out of the box after everything has been replaced.

I returned my S2 when the screen crapped out on me and the replacement phone was 10 times the original. I am almost positive this will work the same way for all other phones, but maybe I was lied to as well????:confused: Just my two pennies...

harryj

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Got my DX a few hours ago
It had a dead white pixel... I searched here...
Called Verizon to replace
It fixed itself a few moments later
So far it has not showed again

Hardyboy001

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Big BS....if the phone dont come with the original box, then u are getting a refurbished phone, Verizon keeps saying, the refurbished phones is just like new, so for them the phone is new, ask for the original box, with charger and sd card dont matter what (of course if your still are under your 30 days )

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
just look inside (usually where the battery goes) if it is actually a refurbished phone, it will have a sticker there stating so.

it's either its own sticker or its written on the sticker with the imei and esn info.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Do the refurbs only come in the plain cardboard boxes? Is it at all possible for a refurb to come in the Droid X box?

mine came in a cardboard box, but it was brand new...checked vzw and it was a clean and never used ESN

the device was 10x more solid than the one i got NIB

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I was told by a VZ manager that one should always take a phone into a store during the 30 day warranty period. You will be given a new phone. If you contact VZ corporate you will more than likely always get a refurbished phone regardless of the time frame.

jessica054

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I am assuming that since my replacement came in the official Droid X box and the fact that they charged me $569.99 on my bill until they receive my old phone, that it is in fact a new phone.