Road Trip Report

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Monday was my first real opportunity to give my X a full run through on the road. I had driven my wife up to visit her sister in Buffalo (from NYC) on Friday but used my old Garmin since we were taking some back roads that I knew had no cell service. I drove home solo (she'll bus home later this week) and decided to put the X and the car dock through its paces.

This is my findings thus far:

-As many others have stated, my older VZW branded car charger didn't provide enough juice to charge and use GPS + Pandora. I started with a full charge and got home with about 40% after the 8 hour trip. I've since ordered a Moto branded charger than should provide the proper juice.I bought the VZW one back when I bought my Razr a few years back.

-The GPS froze up twice. Both times it seems as though I started Pandora too quickly after starting the Nav program. The first time I didn't realize and wound up having to pull of the highway to reboot. The second time happened at a rest stop and I did my reboot there. Wait a few minutes after you start your Nav before starting up other programs, just to be safe.

-Other than that, the GPS worked fantastically. It was very accurate and the only times it strayed was when I was on the lower deck of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, and the arrow wound up about half a click off into the water. This is a problem found in most GPS units once the sky is not visible, so I'm not overly concerned.

-Pandora worked like a charm. It only cut out once when I hit a dead spot and picked up again with a new song shortly after I picked up service again. The sound through the aux input of my car stereo was clear. My only complaint is that when the Nav cut in to call out my next move, the song cut out and came back, instead of pausing and starting up again. I'd miss my favorite parts of songs because of this, but oh well.

-Calls through my year old Moto bluetooth headset were clear as well.

-Voice search. I cannot stress enough how valuable this was when I needed coffee and did a search for "Tim Hortons" just outside Buffalo. While on that topic, Timbits > Munchkins.

In conclusion my solo road trip home was a resounding success, and the X made it that much easier to find my way. I wish I could have taken the opportunity to try more of the travel centric apps available, but I was enjoying the road far too much.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Great to hear!

I wish I could have taken the opportunity to try more of the travel centric apps available, but I was enjoying the road far too much.

I would gladly do the same and enjoy the road or nature or the scenery far more than what's going in my phone. Those things don't happen often :cool:

I'll be bringing up my X to a camping trip in Yosemite in September, so I'll see what I can do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37