Goodbye RIM... Hello Motorola!

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! How long did it take for you to get used navigating through the Android OS after you made the switch? I just got mine on the 8th and I'm still learning many new things. Droid X really got me good. :cool:

Pretty quick, actually, probably a few days or so. I did a lot of reading prior to getting my X, so all my contacts and calendar were synced up already.

Instantly I knew I wanted a different UI so I went initially with ADW.Launcher, but have switched to LauncherPro. Better, faster, stronger, smoother (for those that know the similar reference, thumbs up, hehe). Everything else was all about how I want it to look, what widgets I wanted to use, etc.

The only thing I miss is BBM, there is truly nothing out there quite like it. Gtalk doesn't even come close, MSN Messenger and Yahoo IM is okay.

But otherwise, running with it and not looking back :cool:

Dragoneer

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Pretty quick, actually, probably a few days or so. I did a lot of reading prior to getting my X, so all my contacts and calendar were synced up already.

Instantly I knew I wanted a different UI so I went initially with ADW.Launcher, but have switched to LauncherPro. Better, faster, stronger, smoother (for those that know the similar reference, thumbs up, hehe). Everything else was all about how I want it to look, what widgets I wanted to use, etc.

The only thing I miss is BBM, there is truly nothing out there quite like it. Gtalk doesn't even come close, MSN Messenger and Yahoo IM is okay.

But otherwise, running with it and not looking back :cool:

Thanks for the response. I did some similar thing you did before you got your X. Got all of my contacts and calendar synced up before mine arrived as well.

I also came across LauncherPro via App Market, but wasn't sure if I should try it out. Now that you've convinced me and I'm, indeed, gonna try it and see if it suits me.

BBM was definitely the best IM application I've ever relied on when owning a BB. I don't really like AIM nor YahooIM. Like you said, GTalk doesn't even come close. I'm hoping that one day Google will do something to make GTalk better than the way it is now, perhaps make it work like BBM. *sigh*

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Welcome ! :D I am a former BB user to but a curve user (8330) . Now that you have an android you understand more what its ALL about .It takes owning one to Totally Xperience the Droooidssssss LoL

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow! It still amazes me how many people jumped RIM's sinking ship to Android lately. I'm not at all surprised, I did too but it's just so crazy. Everywhere you look, it's people starting up threads saying they moved on from RIM and there there's a bunch of posts agreeing with them.

BTW, welcome to the good life! :cool:

condr67

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Android OS rocks! Being a former BB user(2 different ones) I can tell you this phone blows away Blackberry in every way. I do miss BBM but it is a not that big of a deal.

Jigmeister

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow! It still amazes me how many people jumped RIM's sinking ship to Android lately. I'm not at all surprised, I did too but it's just so crazy. Everywhere you look, it's people starting up threads saying they moved on from RIM and there there's a bunch of posts agreeing with them.

BTW, welcome to the good life! :cool:

In defense of RIM, some of us were using smartphones when BB was the only real choice. iPhone and Android weren't even an idea. Droid is very cool - more so than the iPhone AND it's available on Verizon (the iPhone isn't). So naturally folks that really had no choice but BB are looking for something more up to date and yes, even better. There are still thousands of folks who still prefer BB for one reason or another. That's good for all of us! Competition in the marketplace is good for all of us!

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Welcome from another BB Bailer! Once you go Droid, you never go back. It's going to be a learning curve but you will be able to pick it up in no time. Even my husband, who doesn't understand my geekdom, says "Is there anything that phone doesn't do?". The answer is no. It runs circles around a Blackberry.

tech42er#AC

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I really did like my Curve when I first got it two years ago. Typing quickly became second-nature (and remained so even as I became obsessed with playing with Swype on the Motorola Droid X's at the Verizon Store), I used BBM to chat anytime with my best friends and boss, and getting my emails pushed to the device was a lifesaver. But the $30 I paid each month wasn't just for unlimited e-mail; it also included unlimited use of the browser, and this was what killed me. My browser struggled to open RSS feeds from the New York Times, let alone mobile youtube or practically any other site. At least I had my apps, an RSS reader and, of course, Brickbreaker. I would have loved to download the latest games being developed for the Blackberry in the BB App Store, but my Curve had an embarrassing amount of internal storage and RAM. If I downloaded more than an app or two, my device would slow to a crawl and I'd have to pull the battery. Is it any wonder I overcompensated by getting a device (the Droid X, which I LOVE by the way) that has a whopping 8 GIGAbytes of internal storage? Sorry RIM, you really screwed the boat on this one.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Not like its a big deal, since you are happy, but you said you wanted a slide out keyboard in your first sentence! Perhaps the Droid 2 would have been better?

Edit: Yea I agree with the amount of people switching; look at the Torch! How can they expect to compete with the DX??

chrisb3

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Another ex-BB user here (7230/8800/Storm). Adjusting wasn't that hard. I've been using PDAs for years before having BBs. Still learning new things, but piece of cake getting adjusted to the Android platform. LauncherPro, Beautiful Widgets and Switcher Pro are musts. Though I'm considering switching back to Weatherbug for my weather.

Like most of you here, the only thing I miss is BBM. But other than that, this is probably the best smartphone I've ever owned.

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I just defected from my 8330 to an X; still waiting for it to arrive, though.

BBMessenger is really the best reason to own a BB, but the only person I really used it with was my wife - and now we're divorced, so I won't miss it.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I did some similar thing you did before you got your X. Got all of my contacts and calendar synced up before mine arrived as well.

I also came across LauncherPro via App Market, but wasn't sure if I should try it out. Now that you've convinced me and I'm, indeed, gonna try it and see if it suits me.

BBM was definitely the best IM application I've ever relied on when owning a BB. I don't really like AIM nor YahooIM. Like you said, GTalk doesn't even come close. I'm hoping that one day Google will do something to make GTalk better than the way it is now, perhaps make it work like BBM. *sigh*

I just found PingChat the other day, similar in concept to BBM, and it's multiplatform (Android, iPhone, BB). Still in its early infancy (needs notification options, emoticons, etc), but it seems to work well for now.

My friends and I have been searching heard for a BBM replacement since we all switched to either the Droid X or the Droid 2.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams