The Bullseye

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone else have trouble with cursor placement within text and/or selecting text for the purpose of copy and paste? Half the time the red bullseye comes up and I can't get to the popup to choose select text, other times, when I'm trying to position the cursor in an input field, the popup shows up. Then there's other times that I can't position the cursor where I want it no matter how hard I try - the cursor even disappears, so I have no idea where it's at - making it even more of a struggle. I find it extremely frustrating, especially when trying to respond to posts in the forums. And forget trying to maneuver the select text option or positioning the cursor in landscape mode with the multi-touch keyboard. It takes up so much space, 90% of the text input box is hidden :mad:

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Yes. Yes. Yes. This is so annoying. I was beginning to think I was just a dork and was doing it wrong. I may still be a dork but its good hear it's not just me having this issue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I just started liking it after I cought on how to use it. U place your finger on text then a clear box pops up showing u the curser slide finger around till u see where u want the cursor at. It is tricky and doesn't always work,

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I still find myself just poking around randomly like i did on my Storm2 because the cursor placement on that sucked more. I got so used to it that this is a breeze now lol.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
As Moosc said there is a certain catch to doing it. If you want to move the cursor around here's the best way to do it guaranteed everytime:

1: quick tap anywhere in the text to bring up the red bullseye
2: place your finger on the red bullseye and drag around the text
3: you should see the magnified view near your finger now
4: drag until you get your correct position and release

A quick tap will always bring up the bullseye. After that you must make sure you press and swipe with your finger starting ON the bullseye, that could be part of where your problem is coming from.

If you want to select text here's the easiest way to do it:

1: I suggest waiting for the bullseye to go away if its visible
2: press in one spot and make sure you hold, it doesn't matter where you press but make sure you don't slide your finger at all
3: wait for the popup and press "select text"
4: now you should have highlighted text and the two arrows on the end of a word
5: drag on one side or the other until you see the magnified view
6: make your selection and you're done

All it takes is being careful and you can do exactly what you intended to do each and every first try. Good luck

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I was really frustrated with this feature as well ... then one day I figured it out and wow life is easier.

It is exactly as DaRkL3AD3R says.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
This is a dumb question but what bulleyes?

I see when I am typing something in an input field, I can tap it and a magnified little box appears. I can then move my finger along that box to place the cursor between letters. But I can't seem to make a bulleyes come up. When is it supposed to show?

EDIT: Excuse the question. I guess I should have read the manual. :)

Last edited:

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm a manual reader, but clearly missed the instruction on this one. I was tapping and holding, which brought up the edit menu. The key is to tap to bring up the bull's-eye, release, and then press to move the cursor. THANK YOU!

Last edited:

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
This is a dumb question but what bulleyes?

I see when I am typing something in an input field, I can tap it and a magnified little box appears. I can then move my finger along that box to place the cursor between letters. But I can't seem to make a bulleyes come up. When is it supposed to show?

EDIT: Excuse the question. I guess I should have read the manual. :)

No worries. Here's what it looks like.

DroidX-57.JPG

Image taken from my first impressions review of the X on my blog. I am going to provide this tip (with attribution to DaRkL3AD3R)

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm a manual reader, but clearly missed the instruction on this one. I was tapping and holding, which brought up the edit menu. The key is to tap to bring up the bull's-eye, release, and then press to move the cursor. THANK YOU!

I'm a manual reader too, and as far as I know there is no mention of this.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
if you use the Swype keyboard, swipe from the swype key (all the way bottom left) to the SYM key (just to its right). You get a ton of handy text-editing keys, including directional arrows. I rarely rely on the bullseye anymore.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
if you use the Swype keyboard, swipe from the swype key (all the way bottom left) to the SYM key (just to its right). You get a ton of handy text-editing keys, including directional arrows. I rarely rely on the bullseye anymore.

That's a good tip too. Now if only I could get into using Swype. I use it for a bit and always end up back on the regular keyboard. I know I'm in the minority here.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Yeah Swype is a pretty BAMF when it comes to keyboards :p

I also like the swipe from Swype key to F (5 key) and it brings up the numeric pad like on a PC keyboard.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

This. Is. Great.

I didn't know this at all. Thanks!

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Swype is a pretty BAMF when it comes to keyboards :p

I also like the swipe from Swype key to F (5 key) and it brings up the numeric pad like on a PC keyboard.

Wow, i didn't know either of these. Thanks guys.

That should've been in the tutorial I feel like...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo