Compare: Droid X vs Droid 2. Which to go with?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Other than the obvious.........

D2 has keyboard
DX has the bigger screen and HDMI out and 8 mp cam.

Both seem similar spec wise.

So does it really come down to just ithe desire for a keyboard vs bigger screen, hdmi out and better cam?

Or am I missing something?

I love my Droid 2 but I would consider exchanging for a X if I am going to be missing out on something major.

Thanks for your input.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Droid X is a multimedia machine, big screen, DLNA (gimped, but hopefully will get better), HDMI out.

Droid has the physical keyboard and more comfortable form factor for many. I'd probably prefer it for emails.

In my mind they don't compete much, but I carry an email device for work and a multimedia device for home so my priorities are a bit more narrow than some.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
specs are too similar to choose one over the other. So it boils down to screen size vs. physical keyboard.

Personally, I like my DX but the droid 2 looks like a great phone and you really can't go wrong with either.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
specs are too similar to choose one over the other. So it boils down to screen size vs. physical keyboard.

Personally, I like my DX but the droid 2 looks like a great phone and you really can't go wrong with either.

Agreed. I would like to see the D2's keyboard and use it just to try it... I loved my D1.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The X is lighter and thinner,no need for a physical keyboard here. I sold mt DROID due to weight thickness,got the INC.,loved it but when the X came out no compairson. I wouldn't go backwards.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. I got the X for business productivity and multimedia capabilities. I get a lot of business use out of the X.

That's not to say its bad at business. Its just as good at it as the 2 is I'm sure. I label the 2 as all business because its an inferior device to the X. Hence, better for business as its more likely to be used as such.

The thing I hated most about the Droid was its physical keyboard. They fixed that on the X.

From my phone using Tapatalk

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
As much as I would love to have that keyboard ... I wouldn't give up my screen on the X. That sells it for me. Go hold them side by side and look at the difference. Open the same webpage. The same goes for reading emails etc.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

D2 has keyboard

So does it really come down to just ithe desire for a keyboard vs bigger screen, hdmi out and better cam?

I love my Droid 2 but I would consider exchanging for a X if I am going to be missing out on something major.

Thanks for your input.

Neither, the Blur that Moto tries to pretend isnt blur stinks! Causes lots of bugs and conflict with other market apps, especially social networking apps...

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I very recently switched from a Droid 1 to the DX. I know it's not a fair comparison in some respects, but the one thing that I could definitely not give up is the screen size on the DX. It's impressive. Sure, the Droid 2 may be similar in many regards, but that kinda real estate is hard to pass up. To me, at least, it negates any need for a physical keyboard. Between Swype, Vlingo, and that screen size, I can easily pass on physical keyboards. Besides, that sliding thing is one more point of potential failure that I can do without.

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

D2 has keyboard

Thanks for your input.

I played with the Droid 2 on launch day while I waited for my device to be shipped to me. The hardware keyboard is much improved from the Droid but it's still no BB keyboard or even a HTC Touch Pro keyboard. That said, the keyboard is usable. Droid 2 wins over the Droid X as it does not have a hardware keyboard.

The smaller screen makes the virtual keyboard, especially the portrait keyboard, harder to use. The Droid X wins with the bigger screen which means bigger virtual keyboards. The landscape Droid X keyboard is crazy good.

As for the camera, if you are happy with 5 mp v. 8 mp then the Droid 2 but if you want to be able to see the tiny hairs on a person's knuckles then the Droid X is your phone.

And finally 2.1 v. 2.2, Droid X will be getting it soon enough.

As I waited for the Droid 2, I found myself missing my Droid X. When the vzw sales associate told me they had a Droid X available in store, I took it as a sign from God to get the Droid X.

Good luck.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I really think the major difference is that the D2 is more for business while the X is more for media. If you are someone that uses their phone for tons of emails and everything like that, the keyboard and everything else on the D2 is prolly the phone you want. If not and you are needing the media and using the phone for media, get the X :)

It just looks like they are running the same UI and look the same in specs besides one has a keyboard and 2.2 and the other has HDMI and a rather sexy camera

Ryobi

Banned
Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Engadget was reporting some poor reception, signal fluctuation, 3G issues with some of the D2's. That would be a major concern for me in picking which phone to get.

Perhaps our biggest hardware concern, actually, is entirely internal: signal strength was a major issue for all four Engadget editors who've been able to spend time with four different Droid 2s in different parts of the country this week. Symptoms include a wildly fluctuating meter while the phone's sitting still, weak or no reception in places where you're usually fine on Verizon, and a complete lack of data service (which was actually how we noticed the problem the first time). We're used to seeing 3G drop to EDGE, GPRS, or disappear completely on our iPhones on AT&T, but it's a rarity on Verizon -- so to see our Droid 2's data indicator flip-flop from EV-DO to 1xRTT and then disappear entirely was really alarming. We're hoping this is something Motorola can fix with a software update alone, because it was nearly a showstopper for us; Ross, for example, sent an email Thursday afternoon that didn't actually depart his phone until 5AM the following morning, presumably because data was acting wonky.

Also this:

If you're just looking for the baddest-*** Android phone on Verizon that money can buy, we'd recommend a Droid X or Droid Incredible any day over this, especially since all three are the same price -- unless you're hell-bent on going with a physical keyboard, of course. Both of those other handsets offer superior cameras, a better UI (in the case of the Incredible), and a better display (in the case of the X).

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Well after more deliberation i have arranged to change out my D2 for an X. I hope I am doing the right thing!!!!

The more I try to use the keyboard on the D2 the more I realize it is uncomfortable for me and I don't use it. If I don't use the keyboard I might as well get the better camera and larger screen.

Did I make the right choice?

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Well after more deliberation i have arranged to change out my D2 for an X. I hope I am doing the right thing!!!!

The more I try to use the keyboard on the D2 the more I realize it is uncomfortable for me and I don't use it. If I don't use the keyboard I might as well get the better camera and larger screen.

I think you made the right decision. I came from a Blackberry so I thought going to a touchscreen was going to be tough but the X makes it so easy.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I had a storm 2 prior to this so I am very comfortable with touch screen only.

Im just not digging this akwatd keyboard.

blashandroid

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site

I think you did. I'm burning my Eris and have been deciding between the D2 and DX myself. Tested the keyboard on the D2 and like you, I found it uncomfortable and requiring too much downforce to register a keypress which ends up taking about twice as much time to type the same thing vs a virtual keyboard (in my opinion and experience). Not to mention the top row of the keyboard seems to be too snug against the body of the phone for me (average to average/larger hands I suppose). I'm going with the larger screen real estate of the DX.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci