Interesting Interactions with VZW

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been with Verizon for about 6-7 years, and generally have been very happy with their customer service. Almost never have dropped calls or signal issues either.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I hear ya man - hope you can work it out with VZW.

Ironically - I just now got an email notice from ATT for my ETF/final bill.

$547.12 across 4 lines. What I'm trying to figure out is how they justify charging me all these governmental fees and taxes on ETF's - is that normal?

$115 on my line and $120 on my wife's, dad's and mother-in-law's lines = $475.

Probably no sense in calling to complain since I'm no longer a customer.

I also paid an ETF on ATT and had a bunch of fees. I did some asking and it turns out they consider the ETF to be service in which they sell to you and thus charge all applicable fees/taxes associated with wireless service. BS if you ask me ...

Burnsj63

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Late June/Early July, my Storm1 started to flicker pink screens, and called VZW CS. Since, my GF works 3rd shift, I had no other phone to use while troubleshooting with Tech Support. Representative told me instructions, and said it will be fixed, and she will call me back in 10 mins. Was not fixed, and she never called back. Fail. Went thru 2 other brand new Storm1’s in 2 weeks, before I gave one of those “telephone surveys” and gave VZW a ZERO across the board.
Had my local store manager for Verizon call and ask, “How can I make you a happy customer?” I said I wanted the DroidX, and if he met me 50/50, that would be a start. He accepted, but I had to work the day of release, and they sold out. Same Thursday night, I went to a BB mobile, and they had dozens. Bought one, and called that manager back. He said he was only going to give me that discount IF I bought it at his store. Told him this is a game, and Im going to buy who has the phone, and he should apply it towards my bill than, and he refused. Fail
Was doing business in Chicago three weeks ago, and my DroidX mysteriously was not accepting incoming calls. Took it to Corp. Verizon downtown store, and the “idiot” behind the counter took 4 minutes to take my snap-on cover off, while during the process taking 3 pictures of his hands. Spent 1 hour there, and he called Level 1 tech. support, who could not figure out WHY this happened, and how to fix it. Stated that a tech. 2 rep. would call me (even though I cant accept incoming calls) within 1-3 days, while I was on business!! Could not give me loner, because they had no like-phone (Droid) to give out. Fail.
Was able to get Droid working again, and called VZW manager to see what they can do, because yet again, I’m a very unhappy customer. The b-word argued with me for 20 minutes, and stated she will reimburse my 2-days. Because I am in a family share, that comes to a huge total of $7.07!! Fail.
Continuing to drop the ball, and failing to consistently provide great service has been disappointing. I am under contract with this company, and I pay $160+ each month, which gives me every right to be upset if my services have been less then perfect, especially for the last 2 months, with nothing but problems.
I don’t know if it’s the dozen people I have talked to, or they really just don’t care. I don’t know what to think at this point, except, keeping my fingers crossed that something doesn’t happen again in the foreseeable future….

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I did my master reset yesterday as requested by the first tech rep.

One more freeze and 3G connectivity got worse or I was watching it more carefully, which I don't know.

Called into CS, repeated my story and explained I did the reset as VZW tech asked. He put notes in and passed me on to tech.

Tech guy was really awesome to work with. I had to explain the story again, 4 times now so I don't understand where these notes go. He denied that that there was a common issue for screen freezing or 3G, but would send me a "brand new replacement phone."

Any of us that have spent any time on the forums have seen there is a common enough issue with screen freezes and I've seen a couple with 3G problems as well. But he was nice to deal with. Listened and though he didn't seem like he was a complete expert, he did sound like he wasn't an idiot either.

He also sounded very relieved when I didn't flip out when he said it would ship on the 31st and he marked it for overnight delivery which I thought was pretty cool. When I get it, I'll call back to try and thank him and maybe hint about where to get one of those Droid X gift boxes.

Some of my fears have been relieved. If you end up with someone at tech that doesn't seem like they will be of much help, call back and get someone else. Eventually you will find someone knowledgeable enough that is easy to work with.

john_5_24

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been with Verizon for years (since they bough Cellular One in the Detroit area). I've always found their CS to be top notch. When I had my Storm and had to have it replaced, I never had issues. CS always wanted to troubleshoot, but they would send the phone out, no problem. Didn't read the whole thread here, but hope you got it resolved.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I spoke too soon. Last night the rep said, twice, that the phone would be "a brand new phone."

This morning, I got an email from VZW about the "Certified Like-New Device" that is coming. I don't mind re-furbs, I've bought and used re-furb devices myself. What I do mind is being told one thing, and getting another.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I called VZW again tonight to ask why the Rep said I was getting a new phone, but the email said I was getting a certified like new.

She apologized for the "incorrect information" I was given earlier. Then proceeded to explain how in her opinion, they're just as good as new. I explained that I know how a re-furbishing process works and that's not why I'm unhappy. I'm unhappy because I was told one thing, and they're trying to give me another.

She put me on hold to speak with her supervisor. She came back and said her supervisor said that the X is so new, there are no like-new phones yet so I will be getting a new phone. I asked why the email saying that I would be getting a certified like-new and she explained that it was just the template they use.

My patience is wearing thin.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have been with Verizon for over 15 years and yes customer service has been lacking for a few years. The cell phone industry has grown so much that customer service is falling behind and complaints are growing. Another problem is the phones IMO are being released too fast and there are too many early issues with them. I have had the Eris,Incredible,and now the X and all have their issues which is a disgrace. I am almost ready for a dumb phone again and I am tired of looking on forums for help with my smart phone issues. But if you look around all phones have issues one way or another.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Ya it is all in the rep you get on the phone, when I had my BB storm and needed it replaced for screen click issues the first 2 or 3 were replaced right away but one rep I talked to gave me a problem, I got a replacement and after I put the battery in the screen clicked down but would not come back up, I know what your thinking, there is a problem with the screen mechanism, well the rep argued with me that how could I know the phone was defective if I never activated it and after I dont know how long of arguing I gave in and let her activate it and when she told me to do something on the phone (dial something I think) I started yelling that I couldnt because the screen was stuck down! I reactivated the old phone and called back a little later when I was cooled down and got them to let me use my upgrade a year early and bought the droid and sold the storm. After all was said and done I ended up with the droid + $25 after selling the storm with no money out of pocket.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm with ya .46 Caliber.

I switched back to VZW on 7/15 from ATT. I moved 4 lines (2 X's and 2 Samsung Convoys) to the tune of $974'ish on the day I switched (not counting the $540'some ETF with ATT).

My wife's X started freezing within the first week or so and we troubleshot it with several different VZW reps over the next week or so - finally culminating in them saying she needed a replacement. They sent her one out (which I again had to pay for ahead of time to the tune of $317.99 - which was to be credited back to my Visa once her defective X was received back).

We got it on 8/4 - I shipped her old X back on 8/5 - they got it on 8/9. I called to verify I'd get my credit and the rep said it would be 4 days until that happened from the day they received it. I called 5 days later and was told 10 days. Waited 10 days and called again - they said that the warehouse hadn't verified everything was sent and it would be another day. I called the next day and they said they weren't sure what was up and I'd get a return call by the end of that day. Called the next day - again - nothing no explanation why but they'd call me by the end of the day with and answer - or first thing the next morning. Nothing - called that afternoon and spoke with a supervisor - they'd push it to "treasury" (whatever that is) and I'd have an answer by the end of the day. Again - nothing - no calls. Called this past Monday again - spoke with another rep - no answers why but she'd guarantee a supervisor would call me by the end of the day - or first thing Tuesday. Nothing. Called Tuesday - no answers - another "guaranteed" return call and NOTHING.

Called today - very unhappy - the girl tried to tell me they don't do refunds until the beginning of the next billing monthly cycle (which would be 9/15 for me) - I asked what on earth my billing cycle had to do with a Visa refund and she couldn't answer me so I asked for her supervisor. Spoke with "Patty" from the Olympia, Washington service center who gave me her employee number and an iron clad guarantee she'd get to the bottom of it and would call me by the end of today. At 6:15pm tonight my X rang with a "unknown caller" - I answered it and no one was there - left it on speaker for a couple minutes to make sure and nothing. It's now 8:35pm EST and I still haven't had a call back.

I pity whoever gets my call tomorrow. :mad:

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Bill, that is just cazy!!! Is the visa a credit card or ATM? There is no way I would have stood for that. I would have been on the phone with my CC company after the 2nd or 3rd call or I would have at least told them if I didnt have it by XX I would be calling to disput it (that usually gets things moving) I also think it costs them if they get a charge back

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It's just a regular old Visa. I plan to call my CC company tomorrow at 5pm if this isn't resolved to my satisfaction.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Dang Bill, that sucks. Hope it gets resolved for you.

One quick question: how do you check what your 3G network speed is? Is there an app for that?

paulinbna

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I had a problem with the first tier of CS on VZW. When I had a sprint phone the MMS from the sprint phone was not getting to my wife's phone (VZW). So I called VZW CS and the first tier blamed it on Sprint. So I asked to talk to second tier and she told me rudely that " I told you what was wrong with it". I persisted and when I told the 2nd tier what she said and he told me that she was a loon, and that the problem had nothing to do with Sprint. It was the 3rd party company that handles the switch over in texts.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Id go with whoever I got the best service from no matter which one it was .That varies from area to area no particular one domiates everywhere ;)

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife's device, that we ordered 3 weeks ago, just showed the other day. My device showed up 4 days after I ordered it via overnight from TX.

I don't know what goes on at VZW Customer Care.

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm with ya .46 Caliber.

I switched back to VZW on 7/15 from ATT. I moved 4 lines (2 X's and 2 Samsung Convoys) to the tune of $974'ish on the day I switched (not counting the $540'some ETF with ATT).

My wife's X started freezing within the first week or so and we troubleshot it with several different VZW reps over the next week or so - finally culminating in them saying she needed a replacement. They sent her one out (which I again had to pay for ahead of time to the tune of $317.99 - which was to be credited back to my Visa once her defective X was received back).

We got it on 8/4 - I shipped her old X back on 8/5 - they got it on 8/9. I called to verify I'd get my credit and the rep said it would be 4 days until that happened from the day they received it. I called 5 days later and was told 10 days. Waited 10 days and called again - they said that the warehouse hadn't verified everything was sent and it would be another day. I called the next day and they said they weren't sure what was up and I'd get a return call by the end of that day. Called the next day - again - nothing no explanation why but they'd call me by the end of the day with and answer - or first thing the next morning. Nothing - called that afternoon and spoke with a supervisor - they'd push it to "treasury" (whatever that is) and I'd have an answer by the end of the day. Again - nothing - no calls. Called this past Monday again - spoke with another rep - no answers why but she'd guarantee a supervisor would call me by the end of the day - or first thing Tuesday. Nothing. Called Tuesday - no answers - another "guaranteed" return call and NOTHING.

Called today - very unhappy - the girl tried to tell me they don't do refunds until the beginning of the next billing monthly cycle (which would be 9/15 for me) - I asked what on earth my billing cycle had to do with a Visa refund and she couldn't answer me so I asked for her supervisor. Spoke with "Patty" from the Olympia, Washington service center who gave me her employee number and an iron clad guarantee she'd get to the bottom of it and would call me by the end of today. At 6:15pm tonight my X rang with a "unknown caller" - I answered it and no one was there - left it on speaker for a couple minutes to make sure and nothing. It's now 8:35pm EST and I still haven't had a call back.

I pity whoever gets my call tomorrow. :mad:

Wow, I'm scared for them. And rightly so, they couldnt tell their a$$es from an oil slick. Give them hell!! And keep us posted.

Good luck!

Euro7star

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I feel like VZW has spread their network thinner. At home, ATT 3G got me 465 Kbps, VZW gets me 240 something.

CS wants me to do a factory reset and then call back. Are the Apps I've purchased tied to my Gmail or this device? I'd hate to have to re-purchase my paid apps.

You think 240kbps is slow? Thats almost as fast as my home network's wireless signal LOL and i am able to download 10gb files in a few hours. Most websites will appear almost instantaneous with 240kbps connection, especially since everything is scaled smaller on a cell phone opposed to a computer.