Help - Want to revert back to 2.1 and/or de-brick your X

coryp915

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

I downloaded and updated my X with the leaked 2.2. It is running terrible!!! I have tried a factory restore and still crap. Help, how can I go back??

Cory

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
WARNING: Do NOT follow these instructions if you are on the official 2.2 OTA. This is ONLY if you had a Droid X with leaked 2.2 on it and wanted to get back on the official updates. Using this method to revert to 2.1 from official 2.2 WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Ok not a problem. Its very possible I myself have done it several times. First you're going to need the SBF flash file for the .604 OTA, along with RSD Lite 4.7. You can get them from this download link:

http://www.multiupload.com/NCK2QQWI0T

Next you're going to extract the SBF file. Its about 430MB, and is located in the Phoxus_-_Droid_X_Gift.zip, don't mix it up with the sbf_flash 12kb file. Place it somewhere easy to find, like your desktop, and install RSD Lite. After you finish installing RSD Lite copy the file from the RSD Lite zip named "pst_flash.ini" and paste it over the old file in the C:\Program Files\Motorola\RSD Lite folder. Your directory may look slightly different depending on drive lettering and whether or not you're running x86 or x64 Windows.

Once that's done, shut your phone off by holding the power button and then hitting Power Off. Once its off, you must hold the following two buttons: Camera button (push all the way), Volume Rocker DOWN and then with both of these held down press and hold the power button while still holding the other two buttons. Once the screen goes on you can let go. You should see a black screen with some white text on the left side saying Bootloader. That's when you know you're good to go. Now hook up the USB cable to your phone and PC then load up RSD Lite.

You should see a device listed in the #1 slot on the list. If you don't then that means your drivers aren't installed properly for your phone and you'll need to install them (they're inside the zip file both x86 and x64 so you should have them)

Now with that done and you can see the device listed in RSD Lite, click the ".." button to find the SBF Flash file you extracted to your desktop. Open it and hit the Start button.

ONCE THIS BEGINS YOU DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. Not your phone. Not your PC. NOTHING. It is completely automated all the way through.

At some point its going to reboot your phone. Now one of two things can happen here:

1) It reboots perfectly normal and gets to the Droid OS and the process is complete
2) It gets stuck in a boot-loop saying "manually reboot your phone 100%"

If you got 1 then you're good to go. I suggest you do a Factory Reset and you're good as new.

If you got 2, make sure its a boot-loop and not just taking a long time to load. My first SBF flash took about 10 minutes on the red droid eye and I was tempted to battery pull but I was patient and it worked perfect on its own. If it says "droid" then you see the eye, and all of a sudden the screen flashes and it goes back to "droid" and the eye, you're in a boot-loop and then you need to unplug your phone, pull the battery out so it shuts off then pop the battery back in. Once its back in you press and hold the HOME key and then the power button. Do this until you see a little Droid with an Exclamation point. Press the search button (farthest to the right on the bottom) and then use the volume rocker to go down to "reset to factory" and then press the menu button to hit OK. Let it finish this process. Once its done, volume rocker back up to reboot and hit OK.

You should now be perfectly good as new. It will ask you to activate your phone. Go ahead and do so. If it doesn't work and that your phone cannot be activated its ok don't panic. Just wait a little while (my first SBF flash and factory reset from 2.2 required me to wait about 20 minutes before I could activate, its a problem on Verizon's end not your phone)

Once its activated and at the home screen you're all done. Good luck

Last edited:

sensatti

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
If you can still find the .sbf file that was pulled off most sites by motorola you should be able to use the rsd lite program to flash back to 2.1. You might have to do some searching to find it but its still out there. The link below has the instructions on how to use it once you find it.

Droid X SBF file released - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - Droid X SBF file released - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home

Edit: Nevermind just follow the post above mine, he beat me to it!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DaRk, that was the best write up I've seen yet. I think this should be a sticky in the ROMs forums personally.

coryp915

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

I downloaded and updated my X with the leaked 2.2. It is running terrible!!! I have tried a factory restore and still crap. Help, how can I go back??

Cory
Thank you very much! I'll give it a whirl. The one thing you said was hook it to my pc, I use a mac. Is that an issue?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
DaRk, that was the best write up I've seen yet. I think this should be a sticky in the ROMs forums personally.

Haha thanks ottscay :p

Thank you very much! I'll give it a whirl. The one thing you said was hook it to my pc, I use a mac. Is that an issue?

Yes thats going to be a show stopper. As far as I can tell RSD Lite and the drivers themselves are for Windows only. You're going to be unable to do this SBF flash without running Windows or minimum Linux. :(

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I didn't find rsd lite in the download link above? Does anyone have a link for rsd lite 4.7?

Also, I went to install the 32 bit drivers, but my hard drive is an "H" drive, and the drivers want to auto-install in the "C" drive. Does anyone know how I can change that?

thanks!

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I didn't find rsd lite in the download link above? Does anyone have a link for rsd lite 4.7?

Also, I went to install the 32 bit drivers, but my hard drive is an "H" drive, and the drivers want to auto-install in the "C" drive. Does anyone know how I can change that?

thanks!

Ya know, I was about to reply saying "I'm 100% sure that RSD Lite is in that zip" but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and downloaded the whole thing. Sure enough, its not there :p So I will be going ahead and uploading my own zip which has everything you'll ever need to SBF Flash this device in a sec and I will be editing my original post with the new link. Give me just one moment to do so.

Edit: Ok folks new link is up with all files inside. Enjoy!

Last edited:

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
thanks.....I think I found rsd lite 4.7 on another site, but it said i had to overright a psd_flash file.....but they included the file in the download. does this sound right?

Also, any idea how to install the moto drivers onto my H drive?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
thanks.....I think I found rsd lite 4.7 on another site, but it said i had to overright a psd_flash file.....but they included the file in the download. does this sound right?

Also, any idea how to install the moto drivers onto my H drive?

Yeah you have to over-write pst_flash.ini in the RSD Lite folder after you install. Its in the new zip I uploaded and linked to. I should add that to the full post above. Thanks for reminding me and catching that file!

As for changing the install path, I didn't see an option to change directory. It 'may' automatically assign it to H assuming this is where your system path is. If you have system data on C:\ and use H:\ for regular data then you probably are SOL :(

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I figured out how to install the drivers.....

I hadn't use my DX on my home computer....so what I did was put the phone into PC mode (under USB options.) as soon as I did that, the PC recognized the phone and started to auto install the necessary drivers.

Once completed, I unplugged the phone. rebooted in bootloader mode, and then started the RSD Lite program. then, plugged in my DX, and rsd recognized it.

Then, I just followed the instructions....and bam!!!! I am back on 2.1

Thanks for all the great instructions on this. some of you guys are very bright for figuring this stuff out!!!

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I figured out how to install the drivers.....

I hadn't use my DX on my home computer....so what I did was put the phone into PC mode (under USB options.) as soon as I did that, the PC recognized the phone and started to auto install the necessary drivers.

Once completed, I unplugged the phone. rebooted in bootloader mode, and then started the RSD Lite program. then, plugged in my DX, and rsd recognized it.

Then, I just followed the instructions....and bam!!!! I am back on 2.1

Thanks for all the great instructions on this. some of you guys are very bright for figuring this stuff out!!!

No problem Quad, glad you got the drivers and all sorted out. The drivers included in the zip are the same ones that are on your phone when you hook it up to a PC so everyone who has this phone has the drivers :p it just comes down to whether or not you installed them that is the question.

But happy to hear it worked for you.

I can't seem to get Rs Lite to see my phone. I installed the 32 bit drivers but it wont show. Any ideas??

Did you put the phone into boot-loader mode then hook it up via USB? If the drivers are installed properly and you are in that screen on your phone when you plug it into your USB, it should work.

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok not a problem. Its very possible I myself have done it several times. First you're going to need the SBF flash file for the .604 OTA, along with RSD Lite 4.7. You can get them from this download link:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Next you're going to extract the SBF file (its about 430MB) to somewhere easy to find, like your desktop, and install RSD Lite. After you finish installing RSD Lite copy the file from the RSD Lite zip named "pst_flash.ini" and paste it over the old file in the C:\Program Files\Motorola\RSD Lite folder. Your directory may look slightly different depending on drive lettering and whether or not you're running x86 or x64 Windows.

Once that's done, shut your phone off by holding the power button and then hitting Power Off. Once its off, you must hold the following two buttons: Camera button (push all the way), Volume Rocker DOWN and then with both of these held down press and hold the power button while still holding the other two buttons. Once the screen goes on you can let go. You should see a black screen with some white text on the left side saying Bootloader. That's when you know you're good to go. Now hook up the USB cable to your phone and PC then load up RSD Lite.

You should see a device listed in the #1 slot on the list. If you don't then that means your drivers aren't installed properly for your phone and you'll need to install them (they're inside the zip file named "the_gift.zip" so you should have them)

Now with that done and you can see the device listed in RSD Lite, click the ".." button to find the SBF Flash file you extracted to your desktop. Open it and hit the Start button.

ONCE THIS BEGINS YOU DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. Not your phone. Not your PC. NOTHING. It is completely automated all the way through.

At some point its going to reboot your phone. Now one of two things can happen here:

1) It reboots perfectly normal and gets to the Droid OS and the process is complete
2) It gets stuck in a boot-loop saying "manually reboot your phone 100%"

If you got 1 then you're good to go. I suggest you do a Factory Reset and you're good as new.

If you got 2, ,make sure its a boot-loop and not just taking a long time to load. My first SBF flash took about 10 minutes on the red droid eye and I was tempted to battery pull but I was patient and it worked perfect on its own. If it says "droid" then you see the eye, and all of a sudden the screen flashes and it goes back to "droid" and the eye, you're in a boot-loop and then you need to unplug your phone, pull the battery out so it shuts off then pop the battery back in. Once its back in you press and hold the HOME key and then the power button. Do this until you see a little Droid with an Exclamation point. Press the search button (farthest to the right on the bottom) and then use the volume rocker to go down to "reset to factory" and then press the menu button to hit OK. Let it finish this process. Once its done, volume rocker back up to reboot and hit OK.

You should now be perfectly good as new. It will ask you to activate your phone. Go ahead and do so. If it doesn't work and that your phone cannot be activated its ok don't panic. Just wait a little while (my first SBF flash and factory reset from 2.2 required me to wait about 20 minutes before I could activate, its a problem on Verizon's end not your phone)

Once its activated and at the home screen you're all done. Good luck

This needs to be a sticky! great job!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Help. My RSD Lite is not seeing the SBF file. My phone is connected to my computer in bootloader mode and I don't know what to do next.

Well, I went ahead and did a battery pull to get out of bootloader. If anyone can let me know how to do this correctly -- so that RSD Lite DOES see the SBF file -- I would appreciate it. (Vista user, btw.)

Last edited:

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I am happy with the 2.2 leak at the moment so I'm not in a rush to go back to 2.1. Is it safe to assume that without having to go through the instructions by DaRkL3AD3R (awesome by the way...thanks!) the OTA update will be available to install by downloading it from other sources just like the leaked 2.2 at some point after the official OTA?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am happy with the 2.2 leak at the moment so I'm not in a rush to go back to 2.1. Is it safe to assume that without having to go through the instructions by DaRkL3AD3R (awesome by the way...thanks!) the OTA update will be available to install by downloading it from other sources just like the leaked 2.2 at some point after the official OTA?

I would say that it is a valid assumption.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca