Question about warranty?

green mtns rider

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
im likely going to be moving over from a blackberry storm 1 to the droid x in the coming weeks...i know with blackberry they offer a one year warranty, and it is good through verizon. i had to replace 2 storms well after the 30 days verizon offered and had no problem getting new devices through verizon. Does Motorola offer anything like this, where i can call and get a new device through customer service? or is it just the 30 days? any help would be greatly appreciated as i am really weighing my options about which device to go with...thanks in advance.

jtd771

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
If it's a manufaturer's defect than the one year warranty would come into effect. You could take it to a store or call Verizon. If the unit needs to be replaced it most likely would be replaced with a refurbished phone and not necessarily a new one. If you buy the extened warranty coverage then it will be covered beyond the first year. In addition to that you can get the Lost / Damaged warranty which covers problems not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. There's a deductible for those replacements and those phones are replaced with refurbished phones as well. Sometimes, if the model is no longer available an alternate phone may be substituted.

green mtns rider

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
ok, so motorola will back the device for a year...im not talking about insurance, ive never carried insurance on any device or phone through verizon. only thing i bought an extended warranty for was my PS3, which has never needed a warranty claim, but it was new technology and i thought it best to protect my $400 investment at the time...insurance is a small possibility though...

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
ok, so motorola will back the device for a year...im not talking about insurance, ive never carried insurance on any device or phone through verizon. only thing i bought an extended warranty for was my PS3, which has never needed a warranty claim, but it was new technology and i thought it best to protect my $400 investment at the time...insurance is a small possibility though...

So you'll protect your $400 ps3 but not a $599 phone?

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
The warranty will work the same as with the BB storm for the first year.

I do not buy optional insurance for much but I do for these smart phones. My sister and husband got BB storms and were being cheap and didnt want to pay the extra 12 bucks a month for insurance. within the first 3 months of having them he dropped his in the toilet (dried out and worked ok, screen stuck at times) she lost hers and then one of the kids cracked the screen on his, now they had 2 choices, 1) pay full price to replace them 599. X 2 ($1200) or ride out the rest of their contract (15 months) until they were eligible for an upgrade again and use their old flip phones.

If they had the insurance they would have paid $50 each and got a new BB storm.......they have a couple more months of using their old phones still

jerparker

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
The DX comes with a 1 year warranty from Motorola. It only covers manufacture defects. I highly recommend the insurance.

Verizon offers 2 different plans through Asurion. The 1st option is $6/month for 1 year of coverage (includes lost, damaged, broken...), the deductible is $89. The 2nd option is $8/month and covers 2 years, the deductible is again $89.

I have carried the insurance since I got my BB Storm 2 years ago. While I have never had to file a claim, I paid retail for my X and would much rather pay $89 as opposed to $569.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
If you get the insurance you are essentially getting one X for the price of 2.
A terrible investment over the long term. 2 years from now the X will be worth less than the investment you made in this insurance.

jerparker

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
While I respect your opinion, lets say after only a couple months you drop your X in water and it becomes inoperable. Would the $6/month insurance then be worth it?

A terrible investment over the long term. 2 years from now the X will be worth less than the investment you made in this insurance.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The DX comes with a 1 year warranty from Motorola. It only covers manufacture defects. I highly recommend the insurance.

Verizon offers 2 different plans through Asurion. The 1st option is $6/month for 1 year of coverage (includes lost, damaged, broken...), the deductible is $89. The 2nd option is $8/month and covers 2 years, the deductible is again $89.

Actually, the $8 insurance changes the manufactures warranty from one year to two years. So if the phone has a manufacturer defect (not lost or damaged) they will replace the phone with no deductible. With the $6 plan, after the first year you would have to pay the $89 deductible for anything that happens with the phone.

Both plans are for 2 years unless you cancel.

Last edited:

green mtns rider

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So you'll protect your $400 ps3 but not a $599 phone?

yes, due to the fact that im only paying about $100 for the X, and i can use the 1 yr warranty offered through motorola, versus the 90 day warranty sony originally offered. insurance on a phone is a sham. ive never had a problem getting a replacement phone thru verizon even after the warranty. my Krazor just about blew up and i was given a new battery and phone for $40 16 months after the original purchase...

also, the PS3 extended warranty cost me $20 at the time of purchase, which covered it for 3 years.

Last edited:

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
yes, due to the fact that im only paying about $100 for the X, and i can use the 1 yr warranty offered through motorola, versus the 90 day warranty sony originally offered. insurance on a phone is a sham. ive never had a problem getting a replacement phone thru verizon even after the warranty. my Krazor just about blew up and i was given a new battery and phone for $40 16 months after the original purchase...

also, the PS3 extended warranty cost me $20 at the time of purchase, which covered it for 3 years.

Maybe because it was a krzr...just sayin. Couldn't have been worth anymore than $40 at that point anyway...

what a waste of $20...had my ps3 for over 3 years and never a problem...so glad I didn't fall for that sham

traindrvr63

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

You carry insurance on your car.. lets say you pay 10,000 fro that car..and you pay alot more than 12 dollars a month.....maybe 50 to 60 month .. so that adds up to about 600 to 700 a year... you have the car for 10 yrs.. thats 7000 you have spent on insurance but if you crash it at that point.. try to get 7000 for the value of that car.....I'm just sayin':cool:

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
You carry insurance on your car.. lets say you pay 10,000 fro that car..and you pay alot more than 12 dollars a month.....maybe 50 to 60 month .. so that adds up to about 600 to 700 a year... you have the car for 10 yrs.. thats 7000 you have spent on insurance but if you crash it at that point.. try to get 7000 for the value of that car.....I'm just sayin':cool:

I hear what you are saying, but for new cars $10,000+ insurance is good protections. Less than that things start to be a bad investment.
So in your example, No, you do not get $7000. Here is why, each year your car is going to depreciate, and by the time 10 years go by you have a car that has depreciated to $500 that you have invested $7000 in insurance on. Let say you drive it into a tree and total it, how much do you think the insurance company is going to give you? Let say your deductible is $500, and your 10 year old car blue books for $650. The maximum the insurance company is going to give you is $150. Now think about how much better off you would have been investing that $7000 in a mutual fund or other better performing investment. This to me is more painful to experience than the loss of property less than $10,000.

Any car that I have owned that is less than $10,000 I carry only the minimum required liability by the state. Insuring a car less than $10,000 is also a bad investment, unless you can work out a great deal with your insurer, such as $1,000 deductible, excellent driving record, etc. When the blue book of your car gets below $5000, it is insane not to drop comprehensive coverage.
It all comes down to how much money you are willing to literally flush down the toilet in hopes of getting what you want back after something bad happens. Which in neither case, cell phones, cars, you are not going to get what you want anyway.
:cool:

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I hear what you are saying, but for new cars $10,000+ insurance is good protections. Less than that things start to be a bad investment.
So in your example, No, you do not get $7000. Here is why, each year your car is going to depreciate, and by the time 10 years go by you have a car that has depreciated to $500 that you have invested $7000 in insurance on. Let say you drive it into a tree and total it, how much do you think the insurance company is going to give you? Let say your deductible is $500, and your 10 year old car blue books for $650. The maximum the insurance company is going to give you is $150. Now think about how much better off you would have been investing that $7000 in a mutual fund or other better performing investment. This to me is more painful to experience than the loss of property less than $10,000.

Any car that I have owned that is less than $10,000 I carry only the minimum required liability by the state. Insuring a car less than $10,000 is also a bad investment, unless you can work out a great deal with your insurer, such as $1,000 deductible, excellent driving record, etc. When the blue book of your car gets below $5000, it is insane not to drop comprehensive coverage.
It all comes down to how much money you are willing to literally flush down the toilet in hopes of getting what you want back after something bad happens. Which in neither case, cell phones, cars, you are not going to get what you want anyway.
:cool:

If you have min liability and you hit and total a car with more then your policy covers you are going to end up in court and will be responsible to pay the difference, it is not always about covering your car remember, if you own a home they will come after that. Paying the min on insurance is like gambling, ya it might seem like a waste of money until that one time something happens, and I agree odds are in your favor that nothing will happen and it will seem like a waste of money but the ONE time you need it and dont have it that will change your whole perspective on it.
We always carry the max insurance on our car/home and expensive devices, my wife works for an insurance company so I have heard the stories and those are enough to make me want to protect me and my family.

Now as for cell phone insurance, I do not want to have to pay retail (599.99) for one of these phone in the first 6 months of owning it, after that you can get them used for pretty cheap so I see where insurance is not needed but this is just my opinion, to each his own

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Insurance and extended warranties are only a joke till you need them and some people can trick themselves into believing the Manufacturer is at fault for making an object that didn't last as long as they thought it should or should have easily handled the abuse they threw at it.

There is a such thing as taking a well thought out gamble. For me I didn't do the extended warranty because it would only save me $4 compared to getting a new and better phone when my 1 year is up. On the other hand the insurance I got because I am willing to pay $72 and an additional $90 not to have to finish out my one year whenever I break it if I break it with my Storm 1.

Maybe once my backup is a Dx things will be different and I drop insurance on my next phone. But the goal of insurance isn't to get value of what you have, its to keep you from having to spend money on a new one. Even with a car, the last thing you want after an accident is to be forced into a situation where you are either A.) forced to buy a beater cheap and waste money while you are waiting for a opportunity to get a new car. B.) forced to by up front at full cost a car with a payment you might not have been ready for an amount you might not have had to pay if you could have priced shopped and waited for the right deal.

If its spring and you have a Camaro in the garage that's another thing altogether.