Petition to remove bloatware, blur

Status
Not open for further replies.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Guys, bloatware comes curtsey of the carriers, so you will never ever see that go away. As far as blur, that's what Motorola wants on their phones, so that's the way it will be. You can either use a third party launcher, such as adw or launcherpro, to get around it, or buy a different device. But HTC phones have sense, samsung has touchwiz, and so on. Its their perogitative to make their own custom UIs on android, just as it is your right as a consumer to choose a different model of phone if you want.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Guys, bloatware comes curtsey of the carriers, so you will never ever see that go away. As far as blur, that's what Motorola wants on their phones, so that's the way it will be. You can either use a third party launcher, such as adw or launcherpro, to get around it, or buy a different device. But HTC phones have sense, samsung has touchwiz, and so on. Its their perogitative to make their own custom UIs on android, just as it is your right as a consumer to choose a different model of phone if you want.

-1. So your point is that just because they can that makes it ok? Your point makes no sense.

DThomp

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Apparently with gingerbread there will be no more corporate hi or bloat. They are supposedly putting all of the junk apps that would come on the phone, on the market instead. I can't wait.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the petition is 1) petitions are worthless because they can never acquire a statistically significant percent of the voters (or potential future buyers), 2) they fail to represent the percent of people who read the post and don't care or feel the opposite, but most importantly 3) they're asking for the wrong thing. Motorola wants to make their phones unique, give people a reason why they should look at Motorola for their next phone. The way to do that is the way HTC did with Sense - customize the UI. What the petition should do is:

1. Change to a poll to get a better picture of who actually cares
2. Ask not to remove Blur but to respectfully request an Off switch
3. Separate out the "bloatware" issue since that's unrelated and should be positioned towards Verzion.

What would make things much more useful to Motorola is to explain WHY you don't like Blur. That also gives you a middle ground, if Motorola doesn't want an Off switch for whatever reason at least you can help shape Blur into something you like. Given a choice between X-Blur and Sense I'd choose X-Blur - haven't seen TouchWiz but so far it seems to be the best of the bunch when it comes to a fairly non-intrusive implementation.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Can someone explain exactly WHAT blur is? I have never used nor even seen it (ya I live under a rock) I have used sense on the eris (if that has it) and didnt like it. Is it the home screen launcher? Can I just put the ADW launcher so it is like my D1?

Thanks

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Apparently with gingerbread there will be no more corporate hi or bloat. They are supposedly putting all of the junk apps that would come on the phone, on the market instead. I can't wait.

All of the "junk apps" are ALREADY in the market. I highly doubt Gingerbread will stop VZW or any other carrier from loading on a program that they get paid to load on the device before it gets into the hands of a consumer.

...I'd love to be proven wrong though!

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain exactly WHAT blur is? I have never used nor even seen it (ya I live under a rock) I have used sense on the eris (if that has it) and didnt like it. Is it the home screen launcher? Can I just put the ADW launcher so it is like my D1?

Thanks

Well you haven't used it or seen it because we don't have Blur... we have... um, sorta-blur. lol.

Here you can see the full blur (click test drive blur in the main section):
MOTOBLUR - Motorola, Inc. USA

For simplicity's sake, I'm just going to say that the stock DX UI is a scaled down version of Blur.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I always thought it was verizon pushing these things on us. I wished bloatware on android worked like the bloatware on blackberry. There was an icon to install, but at least it wasn't installed already or running in the background. Two big no no's. Petition is useless. a 100 page thread might actually be more productive.

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
-1. So your point is that just because they can that makes it ok? Your point makes no sense.

You could always buy an iPhone or not use the blur widgets... My god, the choices. They make their software for the device they manufacture, you do not have to use it. Stop crying about it and get a different phone. His point makes perfect sense, if you are not a middle school dropout.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You could always buy an iPhone or not use the blur widgets... My god, the choices. They make their software for the device they manufacture, you do not have to use it. Stop crying about it and get a different phone. His point makes perfect sense, if you are not a middle school dropout.

HA!!! Your arrogance is just about as ridiculous as the others guy's ideas. Just incase you don't remember, the PC market went through the same thing just 5 years ago.. Do you remember what it was like to buy a Gateway desktop? You'd start the thing up for the first time and your desktop would already be full. That doesn't happen anymore.
The fact of the matter is that when the consumer spoke out against it, the manufacturers responded. What I can't fathom is how you two believe that if we just don't like the bloatware we should buy another device. Why not make the one we already have better? Isn't that idea (improving what you have) the basic tenet of all hackery?

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
HA!!! Your arrogance is just about as ridiculous as the others guy's ideas. Just incase you don't remember, the PC market went through the same thing just 5 years ago.. Do you remember what it was like to buy a Gateway desktop? You'd start the thing up for the first time and your desktop would already be full. That doesn't happen anymore.
The fact of the matter is that when the consumer spoke out against it, the manufacturers responded. What I can't fathom is how you two believe that if we just don't like the bloatware we should buy another device. Why not make the one we already have better? Isn't that idea (improving what you have) the basic tenet of all hackery?

Um, computers today STILL come with bloatware. They get PAID to put it on and in some cases it could possibly be the only reason why they make a profit off of a unit.

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Um, computers today STILL come with bloatware. They get PAID to put it on and in some cases it could possibly be the only reason why they make a profit off of a unit.

Don't bring facts and sense into this discussion, he is fighting the man.

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Nothing has changed. The only way to get a non-bloated PC is to buy from the Business outlets. Consumer models come with more crap than ever.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure about all manufacturers, but Dell doesn't require bloatware be preinstalled

NO? How about those free 30 day anti virus they put on there. Or the Microsoft office trials? I stopped using Norton and McAfee and there is no way to get a laptop without a trial of one of those, it gives you the option to extend the service but not remove it. I use avast

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Whatever guys. This is thread hijackery. If you all want to go yell at the world for all the time wasted with petitions and opinions and other obviously wasteful activities, go ahead.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
When you buy a subsidized phone you have to take it as is.

What I have a problem with is that their (VZW) unsubsidized no-contract phones have bloat ware.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11