Droid X arrives 9/2!! Help

DBLX

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I'm brand new to Android. I'm giving up my BB Tour for the Droid X. I ordered the X today and should have it tomorrow. I need to draw on all your expertise please.
What should I install first? What should I do first? How do I get all my contacts over to the X? When I was in the store they told me I should wait and buy from them because I'll end up bringing it in for them to set it up. Otherwise I'll have to pay them 35 to do it. LOL. I do use the Verizon backup but will that work cross platform?
After looking and playing with the various Android devices, it feels like I'm stepping out of the darkness and into the light!

TIA,
MJ

DroidRage79

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Best advice I can offer is to definitely make use of the forum search function. I'd bet that 90% of your topics will have been previously covered and answered/resolved.

jasoncardenas21

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Best advice I can give you is to set up a gmail account now, put google sync on your blackberry and sync all of your contacts from your blackberry to your gmail. Then, you will have all of that stuff, plus it will be easier for you to set up initially.

Other piece of advice. Don't take tons of advice from everyone. Develop your own rapport with your phone and learn how to love it the way that you do, not why everyone else does.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
First thing you will do is check the icons on the seven home screens and decide which ones (if any) you want to keep there - deleting the rest (press, hold, drag to trash at bottom of screen).

Organizing the home screen(-s) can become a career occupation - it's great fun to get different "looks" according to what you prefer and what you want to keep handy. Wallpapers extend over the seven screens, so each has a slightly different view.

Don't forget, you can create folders (in the widgets section - press and hold a blank place on the home screen to bring up several menus for these). These folders (rename them by opening the file, press and hold on the name bar) can be extremely helpful to cut clutter and help organization of app icons, etc.

You can add app icons to the home screen from the app tray (the center button on the home screen). Just push and hold an icon. Voila! It's on the home screen (it's a copy; original stays in the app tray) and you can move it wherever you wish by touch/hold.

Your contacts will be picked up from Gmail when you first turn on your DX. It will import and update directly from Outlook, Outlook Express or others. After that, your contacts will be synced to your X automatically. No more using a Desktop Manager.

Yes, the Verizon contact backup still works the same as with a BB.

You will never even miss the Tour once you get hold of the X. The X is lightyears ahead of anything BB even has as a future development. Don't panic. Any questions you might come up with as you go usually have answers in this forum. There's even a former-BB owners thread.

Enjoy!

Jigmeister

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
i could be wrong... so if I am, I apologize but I smell a troll. ordered today and getting tomorrow? Not on this planet.

And Rage has it right, every question you've asked is covered in the forums already.

And if it's for realz, you suck because the rest of us have been waiting and waiting and waiting.... LOL!

DBLX

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has a recertified sale going on right now. Free overnight. Check me! Believe me, I wouldnt waist anyones time.
That you all for great starting points. Outlook sync OTA? How do I set that up? I set up a gmail account. The only thing I wanted to sync from Outlook is the celandar, tasks, memos. Most important is the calendar.
TIA!

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Great posts from jasoncardenas21 and Arelunde.

Follow those guidelines and you should be good to go but you'll do most of the learning hands on through experience setting it up your way like jason said.

Jigmeister

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has a recertified sale going on right now. Free overnight. Check me! Believe me, I wouldnt waist anyones time.
That you all for great starting points. Outlook sync OTA? How do I set that up? I set up a gmail account. The only thing I wanted to sync from Outlook is the celandar, tasks, memos. Most important is the calendar.
TIA!

You are correct and I was wrong. Sorry bud...
These guys have you on the right track... Mine is supposed to arrive Friday so you can tutor me. LOL! Enjoy the DX!

Jiggy

DBLX

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the assists. Which is the best, Launcher Pro or ADW? I'm really concerned about the google syncing. Maybe overly so?
Jiggy, sorry to hear about your troubles. If everything I've read is true, it will be worth the wait! Are there any programs I should stay away from?

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The syncing is set up by the X/gmail. Walks you through. There will be a short download for your desktop to sync from Outlook. I can't remember the specifics now but it wasn't an issue at the time. Still works slick. Contacts and calendar syncs are handled. You won't have any problems. What you know from having a BB will transfer, with modifications here and there ... And always a "WOW" difference!

anon(40324)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I'm brand new to Android. I'm giving up my BB Tour for the Droid X. I ordered the X today and should have it tomorrow. I need to draw on all your expertise please.
What should I install first? What should I do first? How do I get all my contacts over to the X? When I was in the store they told me I should wait and buy from them because I'll end up bringing it in for them to set it up. Otherwise I'll have to pay them 35 to do it. LOL. I do use the Verizon backup but will that work cross platform?
After looking and playing with the various Android devices, it feels like I'm stepping out of the darkness and into the light!

TIA,
MJ

Hey DBLX, if you get your phone today like the OP says, can you post here that you got it? Or PM me? I followed your lead and snapped up a pre-owned DX too with free overnight shipping, internet discount, and my $100 credit, so as long as the phone is fine, I'm in awesome shape! Post up what the phone is like when you get it, I'm sure we're all wondering if the "Certified Pre-owned" is worth it!

DBLX

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Most definitely! I'm curious to see as well. I called also and they said most of them had software issues... They were sent to Motorola for correction and here they are. At first they didn't even know what the left hand was doing since they have never done this before. If it comes in in Brand New condition, free O/N and for 149 plus 30 day trial and error, we cant lose...
Having issues with calendar sync thru google. Error message that I'm using another program t sync my bb so google wont sync to prevent duplicates. I'll hopefully sync from o
my desktop outlook calendar. I can't wait!!!!!!!!
Phone is on the Fedex truck... less than 5 hours and I'll be knee deep in droid.
:)

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Let us know what you think of your new DX. We'll be waiting to hear what we already know!!!! It'll be love at first power on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julieharrison