03-30-2011 09:31 PM
39 12
tools
    I'm having a new issue with scrolling through photos when it is in the thumbnail view. When I start scrolling through my pictures it goes back to the main gallery page. I can never scroll to the bottom of my photos to see the last taken.

Is anyone else seeing this. I haev seen other references on the web to people who have a droid x doing this but haven't seen a fix.

Help?

Thanks, Todd
    09-01-2010 12:30 PM
    Im having the same problem. It doesn't seem to do it when your holding the phone in landscape
    09-01-2010 01:37 PM
    Im having the same problem. It doesn't seem to do it when your holding the phone in landscape
    Correct, not in landscape mode - I have seen several other people talking about this in other places - but no fix....
    09-01-2010 01:39 PM
    I just started having this problem myself.. Just started happening within the last couple of hours.. I have tried a batt pull and still doing it.. Kinda weird how this just started.. I was just about to start a new thread then found this one.. This couldn't be a VZW issue could it by chance?? Something pushed OTA all of a sudden causing this? I am on 2.1 BTW..
    09-01-2010 03:39 PM
    Anyone Else having this problem..
    09-01-2010 05:11 PM
    I don't know if there's a quick fix for this or not.... I really don't want to do a factory reset.

I open gallery, tap on camera roll (or any other row for that matter) and as soon as I start to scroll through the nearly 300 images or so, it crashes back to the category list. If I tap on the camera roll list again and rotate it to view horizontally, it will "cover flow" through the whole album just fine. It also works fine when tapping into a picture to view it full size and swiping through the entire folder.

It's only when I try to browse the camera roll, videos, etc. in the vertical position viewing the thumbnails that it does this.

Any suggestions?

BTW.. yes, I've done all of the rebooting and battery pulling..
    09-01-2010 07:22 PM
    Well, I've done everything possible SD card-wise. No replies here, so off to reset I go... SOAB. Good luck me :-/
    09-01-2010 08:19 PM
    Mine started doing this the other day, too. It's pretty annoying.
    09-01-2010 10:23 PM
    Anyone know it this could be some type of push ota thing that is causing this?
    09-01-2010 11:20 PM
    Guess I was the guinea pig. A factory reset does NOT fix. Verizon says they are sending me a refurb?! FFS it's not even a month old
    09-01-2010 11:38 PM
    The only thing I could possibly think of as a buggy kind of software thing is whether or not the built-in gallery has an issue with x amount of data/images. If that's the case, I'm going on a rampage for having to reconfigure all these dam apps
    09-01-2010 11:42 PM
    I started having this same problem today...

I dug a little deeper and found that Gallery was not seeing any photos from August or September...

I got my X when it first came out, so when I migrated over I tranfered like 1000 pics from my Berry.

My issue was that I would open gallery, try to scroll and it would crash, or go back to the main screen...What I did to fix it was this...

I removed ALL of my pics from the SD card. I then added back the pics I took today about 40 and all of my pics from August...about 200. Let it index...FIXED!

I then added back a couple months worth of pics at a time to be sure I wasnt mucking it up. This seems to have resolved it, as I can now scroll and when I go into "all photos" and choose "go to" I now have "today" and "last month" which I did not have before.

This is kind of a tedious procedure, but it works!!

Not sure what the deal is...My guess is that Gallery was having a tough time indexing photos for some reason and just chokes.

Good luck!
    09-02-2010 02:08 AM
    called tech support and they ordered me a new one. over night shipping so it will be here on friday!
    09-02-2010 02:12 AM
    Did you delete the existing files in the .thumbnail folder and the other folder?

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep.

I started having this same problem today...

I dug a little deeper and found that Gallery was not seeing any photos from August or September...

I got my X when it first came out, so when I migrated over I tranfered like 1000 pics from my Berry.

My issue was that I would open gallery, try to scroll and it would crash, or go back to the main screen...What I did to fix it was this...

I removed ALL of my pics from the SD card. I then added back the pics I took today about 40 and all of my pics from August...about 200. Let it index...FIXED!

I then added back a couple months worth of pics at a time to be sure I wasnt mucking it up. This seems to have resolved it, as I can now scroll and when I go into "all photos" and choose "go to" I now have "today" and "last month" which I did not have before.

This is kind of a tedious procedure, but it works!!

Not sure what the deal is...My guess is that Gallery was having a tough time indexing photos for some reason and just chokes.

Good luck!
    09-02-2010 02:17 AM
    Did you delete the existing files in the .thumbnail folder and the other folder?

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep.
    YES!!

Thank you I forgot to mention this. I deleted everything in the DCIM folder prior to re-adding pics. I have about a 1000 total pics...took 10 minutes to re-index and create thumbnails so be patient if you have a lot.
    09-02-2010 02:41 AM
    Mine did this when I first bought it and then started working fine a few days later.
    09-02-2010 08:45 AM

This is exactly what I was experiencing - August and September where funked. I've tried removing and re-adding images.... a few old ones first until I got to August, then crash.. loaded a few new ones first then...crash. It's almost like it has an issue with the files from August and September only when viewed vertically...STRANGE.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to work and that after having tried what you have done plus some.

I even went through every file to make sure the camera naming scheme matched the date the image was taken.

In my case.... no-go.

I downloaded the 3D gallery from the market for the time being until my replacement arrives.

I can't look at my might X the same way anymore
    09-02-2010 11:57 AM
    Well it works..

1. hook you phone to a pc - and copy the pictures off the phone.
    2. Delete all the files in the 3 folders inside the camera folder.
    3. copy your photos back into their folder.

Thumbnails get recreated automatically and it works. I think what happens is some corruption in the thumbnail folder so it can't scroll the tumbnails without crashing...
    09-02-2010 02:31 PM
    I had the same problem and copied all the photos out - deleted the files in the thumbnail and photo folders.

Copied my photos back in and the problem is resolved. Seems like corruption in the thumbnail folder....

I BET you can just delete the thumbnails and then it would also be resolved...
    09-02-2010 02:34 PM
    ok so i removed all my photos and reloaded them a little at a time.. I have found out that i cannot load any photos taken in July, or it will crash.. I guess you cant have any photos over for over 2 months..Anyone else find this to be the case..
    09-02-2010 02:54 PM
    wierd how this is happening all of a sudden. It must have something to do with the way the pictures are ordered by date....and a software glitch that isn't properly handling the date sorting.
    09-02-2010 03:04 PM
    ok so i removed all my photos and reloaded them a little at a time.. I have found out that i cannot load any photos taken in July, or it will crash.. I guess you cant have any photos over for over 2 months..Anyone else find this to be the case..
    Not in my case, I loaded just photos from August, which was about 70 images. Still crashed.

@Todd... That was one of the first things I tried. At this point they've been deleted several times, so NO.... I wouldn't bet on that.
    09-02-2010 04:13 PM
    Mine was doing this the past two days but today, all is well. Weird?
    09-02-2010 04:39 PM
    Just a reminder to anyone following this thread, an SD card format and a factory reset was done with the same results, so it's it not an application conflict.
    09-02-2010 04:42 PM
    Just to note I removed all photos reformatted the card then about 30 photos at a time (starting with the most current) reloaded them, unplugging from the computer between each and checking it worked.. When I got to julys photos it would start to crash...maybe 2.2 will fix..
    09-02-2010 05:06 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD