Tethering Question

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
I think I remember hearing that with Froyo, Verizon blocked tethering on the original Droid. Will this be the case on the X too? Or will it just be a situation where I have to root to be able to tether after froyo? I just want to make sure before I buy the full version of PDAnet. I've been using the free and liking it so far but Im hoping my days aren't numbered for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
They haven't blocked it to my knowledge, unless they're going to remove the mobile hotspot app. I successfully used a wifi tether after I flashed 2.2, but I didn't stay on 2.2 for long. Interestingly, I couldn't get barnacle to work (which is what I had used previously), and ended up testing it with another one.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
officially it's most likely going to continue to work as it does now, with the verizon app and attached charge to tether.

if rooted, wireless tether works fine and is free.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
However, with any "free" tethering application Verizon can shut it down at any moment so there's always a risk. So far they've turned a blind eye, but as Chuck Scwab says, past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Thanks all! I guess if I do lose my free tethering I will just pony up the dough to Verizon and pay for tethering. I think I will read up on rooting and give that a shot after froyo though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
they can't shut it down, but they can charge you for it if your data usage seems abnormally high.

i mainly use it when i'm travelling and don't want to pay for some hotel's ridiculous internet fees.

if you use it to send emails and browse the web, you'll (most likely) be fine. but if you start downloading huge files and constantly stream video, be prepared for a potentially high bill at the end of the cycle.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
they can't shut it down, but they can charge you for it if your data usage seems abnormally high.

I've actually done quite a bit of research into more benign uses for proxy and NAT detection and it is pretty easy for them to detect, block, and, as you pointed out, bill for tethered usage. It comes up often enough I may try to set aside some time to write up a document for the technically inclined who are curious as to how it's done. The idea of them discovering me and then back billing for overages makes the $20 a month worth it to me.

For those interested in "going legit" but only use it occasionally you can add and remove it from your accountfor just the days you'll travel. I do that for the unlimited International data plan on my Blackberry all the time and you only get billed for the time it's active.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy