Video stretching/scaling

geekpimpfx

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Are there any programs that will allow you to stretch videos to full screen? There are podcasts I download that are 4:3 and I would like the option to fill the screen. Same with youtube. With youtube I'm not surprised since it would have to be something in the youtube player, but are there other players that will let me stretch video that's on my sdcard?

I guess on a related note, is there a way to get the video to flip if it's held in portrait mode instead of landscape?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Zimly allows videos to be stretched to fill screen. I am using it now without issue, you can download at Zimly Media Player and the market..... Now as for youtube usually all you have to do is click HD on player and video will fit screen full without another player.

And to answer about rotate into landscape view, as far as I know there isn't any players dont supports this feature.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
4:3 is 4:3 and 16:9 is 16:9 trying to make one into the other doesn't make much sense to me.

To each their own I guess.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
sweet.....that zimly player is awesome! I had given up on being able to stretch my 4:3 P90X videos to fit the X screen.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
here is a still shot of a 4:3 video pillar-boxed to fit a 16:9 screen.

TVGuide-1.jpg

here is a still shot of a 4:3 video stretched to "fill" a 16:9 screen. People in this setup looked distorted and "thick".

TVGuide-2.jpg

Personally I would rather see black bars, pillar boxes in this case, than a distorted video just so a video can fill a screen.

Stretching a pillar-boxed video distorts the original image.

Removing letter-boxing causes the left and right sides of a video/film to be cropped.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
here is a still shot of a 4:3 video pillar-boxed to fit a 16:9 screen.

TVGuide-1.jpg

here is a still shot of a 4:3 video stretched to "fill" a 16:9 screen. People in this setup looked distorted and "thick".

TVGuide-2.jpg

Personally I would rather see black bars, pillar boxes in this case, than a distorted video just so a video can fill a screen.

Stretching a pillar-boxed video distorts the original image.

Removing letter-boxing causes the left and right sides of a video/film to be cropped.

I get what you are saying but when you set your device on a table to watch a video I think it takes away from the viewing experience when watching it in the center with black bars on both sides... I use resolution that gives me the top and bottom wide screen format and the stretch feature makes image full screen without distorting image,,, the distortion depends on the original videos resolution, the ones you are using may just be low quality format that explains the issue...

But each to their own of what they prefer but I need full screen. Glad it worked out for some..

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I get what you are saying but when you set your device on a table to watch a video I think it takes away from the viewing experience when watching it in the center with black bars on both sides... I use resolution that gives me the top and bottom wide screen format and the stretch feature makes image full screen without distorting image,,, the distortion depends on the original videos resolution, the ones you are using may just be low quality format that explains the issue...

But each to their own of what they prefer but I need full screen. Glad it worked out for some..

Agreed it's a matter of preference. However resolution has nothing to do with this. There is no way a 4:3 ratio video/film can fill-in 16:9 frame without cropping or stretching.

Last edited: