how does verizon charge for 3g mobile hotspot

increditim

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know how verizon charges for the 3g mobile hotspot with the x? i know it's $20 for 2g worth of data. did someone say it made it difference how you were connected?
i know i could ask verizon but i hate asking them anything

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean how do they charge you? They tack on $20 per month, just as a feature on the phone. You can add or subtract it from your MY Verizon account online if you'd like.

increditim

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
i'm really asking about the situation where you use more than the 2gigs a month. i believe they charge more for that. i've never used a mobile hotspot so i'm not familiar with how easy it would be to use two gigs worth of data

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
i'm really asking about the situation where you use more than the 2gigs a month. ii believe they charge more for that. i've never used a mobile hotspot so i'm not familiar with how easy it would be to use two gigs worth of data
On Verizon's site there is a calculator tool to estimate how much you would use. I know you get charged per kb (i think) if you go over. I also looked at the usb tethering for$ 30 which gives you 5gb

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dragoneer

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's $20 a month mobile hotspot service has a 5GB cap for each month which means you CAN use more than 2GB but not more than 5GB worth of data in a month.

Hope this makes it clear.

increditim

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
On Verizon's site there is a calculator tool to estimate how much you would use. I know you get charged per kb (i think) if you go over. I also looked at the usb tethering for$ 30 which gives you 5gb

thanks, i hadn't found that

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
thanks, i hadn't found that
When I did it, I was just over 2gb so Im trying to decide which route to go. I canceled my home internet because my droid does so much and i really only use my laptop for some online shopping and paying bills. I had signed up with ATT for dsl for 14.95 a month but they wanted to completely redo my phone wiring in my house and charge me for it. Um...no! Cable is 45 a month which is stupid with how little I use it so Im looking in to tethering instead. At least that I can take it with me.

jcarlosfox

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Ooooor, you could root. Honestly, the Wireless Tether app is probably the only root access application I use, and it's wonderful.

He is 100% correct. Root is basically FREE (ok, a few bucks). The Wireless Tether App is FREE.

PLUS - how often will you really use this feature? I used it once to try it, twice to show off, and once when I was at a Starbucks and needed to review a large document.

Truth is, now that I have the DX - the laptop is not fired up very often.

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Truth is, now that I have the DX - the laptop is not fired up very often.
That is where I am at now. My cable contract was up so the bill doubled so after messing around with AT&T and their DSL I just decided to drop my home internet service because I am rarely using the laptop. I finally booted it up last night and tethered so I could pay some bills and print a shipping label to return an item bought online. Hardly worth paying$ 45 a month for cable.

ibanez1998

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
HOW are they allowed to charge for this....

This is the real question. I've been using using Windows Mobile for 10 years (+or-) now and this "feature" was never an additional charge. If I'm paying a monthly fee for unlimited data (that fee has not come down by the way) I should be able to use that data anyway I want that does not violate the law. Whether I hook up to another computer, or 5 or 10, the data and bandwidth I'm purchasing does not have the right to be regulated in this way. This violates net neutrality standards and imo is Verizon's way of telling their customers how the company feels about net neutrality and their freedom's.

I've purchased the phone, I've purchased the data plan, I have the capability to plug up to another machine and allow that machine to use the data I've already paid for. If I add Verizon's 3G Wireless Hotspot as a monthly recurring charge, what "service" am I paying for? They are not providing me any additional "service" I'm not already subscribing to.

We as American's have become way too complaicent in allowing companies like Verizon to impose their will on us without reprimand for their actions. Why there isn't an antitrust lawsuit against them and a number of other carriers is beyond me. There big corporate monopolies keep locking in products and features to keep competition out and that is by far a clear definition of what antitrust is.

I'm so pissed off by my Verizon service, not because the service is bad but because I'm tired of being nickeled and dimed to death by them!! This has to stop!

ibanez1998

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
HOW are they allowed to charge for this....

This is the real question. I've been using using Windows Mobile for 10 years (+or-) now and this "feature" was never an additional charge. If I'm paying a monthly fee for unlimited data (that fee has not come down by the way) I should be able to use that data anyway I want that does not violate the law. Whether I hook up to another computer, or 5 or 10, the data and bandwidth I'm purchasing does not have the right to be regulated in this way. This violates net neutrality standards and imo is Verizon's way of telling their customers how the company feels about net neutrality and their freedom's.

I've purchased the phone, I've purchased the data plan, I have the capability to plug up to another machine and allow that machine to use the data I've already paid for. If I add Verizon's 3G Wireless Hotspot as a monthly recurring charge, what "service" am I paying for? They are not providing me any additional "service" I'm not already subscribing to.

We as American's have become way too complaicent in allowing companies like Verizon to impose their will on us without reprimand for their actions. Why there isn't an antitrust lawsuit against them and a number of other carriers is beyond me. Their big corporate monopolies keep locking in products and features to keep competition out and that is by far a clear definition of what antitrust is.

I'm so pissed off by my Verizon service, not because the service is bad but because I'm tired of being nickeled and dimed to death by them!! This has to stop!

mac16

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything you said.

The main problem was these cell companies noticed people will just open their checkbook to whatever additional charges they can think to make up, so that is exactly what they did.

Until people wake up and realize that with a little time and reading they can unlock the majority of the features they want (wifi tether etc..), or dont want (blur, bloatware) via rooting and roms the companies will continue to nickel and dime us, while at the same time crippling some of the features our devices are capable of.

hezzdown

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Droid X... Z4 Root.... Wireless Tether.... Simple as that. As long as your not going crazy with it you will never appear on the VZW radar. I do not consider it stealing.. I consider it getting my monies worth and my "claimed" unlimited data.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Droid X... Z4 Root.... Wireless Tether.... Simple as that. As long as your not going crazy with it you will never appear on the VZW radar. I do not consider it stealing.. I consider it getting my monies worth and my "claimed" unlimited data.

Couldn't agree more. They nickel and dime everything, might as well get as much as you can for what you pay for.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site

We as American's have become way too complaicent in allowing companies like Verizon to impose their will on us without reprimand for their actions. Why there isn't an antitrust lawsuit against them and a number of other carriers is beyond me. Their big corporate monopolies keep locking in products and features to keep competition out and that is by far a clear definition of what antitrust is.

Where I agree with some of what you said the problem is that wireless bandwidth is not unlimited. And they do not want people using cellphone data plans for a home internet replacement. If everyone did so then we would all be crawling anytime we tried to use our service. So they use these fees to help prevent that. Look at how much wireless broadband costs through both Verizon and ATT compared to the cell phone data plans. And if you want to have home replacement service thorugh your cell phone look at what data will start to cost.

They need to give us a bucket of data that can be used however the user sees fit. But until that day we are stuck with the system we have. We can hope that LTE will help the market so that we can move between companies in an easier way.

Reactions: jdbower

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc