How do I keep apps from launching....

wakebrdr94

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I kill skype numerous times throughout the day (along with many other apps) that I never even open. Even after I kill them, they end up running in the background again. Is there a way to prevent this? I'm new to the android market (after leaving RIM) and I am trying to get the most out of my battery.

any help would be great

Dave:confused:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
just leave it alone, as long as you are signed out of skype the amount of battery it uses is pointless to worry about.

if you want to maximize your battery life (without rooting and hackery) control the amount of time you have the screen on and the brightness, the screen uses more battery than anything else. then uninstall your task killer and stop worrying about what apps are running.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
just leave it alone, as long as you are signed out of skype the amount of battery it uses is pointless to worry about.

if you want to maximize your battery life (without rooting and hackery) control the amount of time you have the screen on and the brightness, the screen uses more battery than anything else. then uninstall your task killer and stop worrying about what apps are running.

+1
I went crazy the first week or so with my DX, coming from a long line of Blackberry 8330s and 9630s. Then I thought, "screw it" and ditched the task killers. And my battery life got better. Android does a fantastic job of managing memory. If it needs to close an app you haven't used in a while, it will. This ain't no blackberry, my friend.

TallyHo

Junkie
Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
you can alos downlod Startup Manager. Great program allows you to remove programs from your startup that Verizon and Moto have on there. I know i removed about 5 apps and a few processes so they never actually open when I boot up.

You have to be rooted for this program to work, but it's so easy to root/unroot your phone with easy root, that there is no reason not to.

gl

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Here's a solution by DaRkL3AD3R in another thread... Have to add, though, you have limited control over Facebook and social connection apps....

Here's the info:

Actually turns out the "Running Services" page is NOT the same as running apps in the background. Services are unique, not the same as say, opening a game or web browser. Services are generally things you don't have to worry about and I recommend you don't shut down ANYTHING in this page.

Instead, here's what you want to do:

If 2.1:

Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Click 'Menu' Button -> Filter -> Running

If 2.2:

Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Click tab up top called Running

Everything in this list is an apk running in the background. Close apps you know you put on the phone (ie - Pandora, Dolphin Browser HD, AIM, Angry Birds etc) if you know you don't need it running anymore. Just be careful you don't close something you want, for instance Pandora when you are streaming audio.

wakebrdr94

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info. I would have thought things running in the background would be killing it, but obviously not. I've noticed that the display kills most of the battery life, (and I don't have any live wall paper running). So task manager is a waste huh?

DroidRage79

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I dumped my Task Killer a week after I got my DX. It's run better since. Task Killers are just asking for trouble in my opinion.

I get 32+ hours from my extended battery coupled with JuiceDefender. My X rarely lags so Task Killers, IMO, are just not necessary.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want to get the apps you don't like from opening (I also has Skype, City ID, and Amazon MP3 running whenever I checked, though I hadn't opened them) at all and are rooted, grab Titanium Backup paid version and just freeze any app you want to stop from ever opening again.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance