iPhone vs Droid X 1st impressions

therealshac

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm a recovering iPhone user of 2.5 years and a self-proclaimed Apple junkie.

At one point, I owned:

iPhone 3GS
iPad
iPod nano
Apple TV
17" Macbook Pro

So, I've cut my teeth in and around the Apple cult-ure.

Then I used an original Droid and it was crazy what the iPhone just didn't DO. Not because it "couldn't", but because Apple "wouldn't". JAILBREAKING DOESN'T COUNT in this argument. I jailbroke my iPhone: not impressed. If you have to hack to make it do some of the things Android does stock, it simply doesn't count.

So, impressions after a few days of having the Droid X:

1. iPhone is more user-friendly for simple-minded folks, i.e. soccer moms can feel techno-savvy with an iPhone. That means, for the rest of us, Android is where it's at.

2. Bloatware on Android: not as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. If you don't like the Blockbuster app, don't use it. So what if you can't erase it? You can't erase some programs off of the iPhone either.

3. Verizon's network does, in fact, kick the butt of AT&T. 3G at my house w/ VZW, no 3G w/ AT&T.

4. Google needs an answer to iTunes, and hopefully Google Music does just that.

5. HOWEVER, it's sad how slaved the iDevices are to iTunes. It's 2010: I shouldn't have to plug in my phone to a laptop/desktop to sync.

6. MobileMe is pathetic. $99 vs. $0. The interface is too simple (soccer moms).

7. Android is true multi-tasking. iOS 4.0 is simply fast app-switching, not multi-tasking.

8. More situational awareness w/ Android. Meaning, when I open up the home screen of the iPhone, all I see are icons. Woopdeedoo. Where's the INFORMATION? With Android, I can put instant, streaming info right on the main screen w/ the widgets.

9. NOTIFICATIONS!! This is the big reason I switched. Apple's notifications system is HORRIBLE. Absolutely archaic. Those inane pop-up windows for texts/notifications are disruptive. Android's notification bar is a breath of fresh air.

Wrap-up: The Droid X/Android is/are not perfect. VZW is not perfect. Neither is the iPhone/AT&T. Android does a few things really great that iOS doesn't, and vice versa. Android wouldn't be around if it wasn't for iOS b/c the iPhone b!#ch-slapped the smartphone industry in 2007 and changed the game...but now the game has changed and Android, to me, is the superior OS.

/rant.

jsaren

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Well said.

I had made the Mac plung from PC about two years ago. I will never buy another PC again.

My BB Storm (POS) broke about one month for the 9th time my contract was up. Decided to give iphone a whirl didn't really like it.. I am a techy geek... I went to VZW got the droid x, returned my iphone 4, and have not looked back since.

I will never give up my mac nor my droid... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol