3G hotspot

wakebrdr94

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
So i've seen how i can tether for free, is there a way to get the 3g hot spot going for free? I checked out some older posts but really didn't see much for this.

Thanks

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If you root (easy and takes less than 5 minutes), you can use a program like Barnacle or Wireless Tether to turn your X into a free wireless hotspot.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I routinely use Barnacle for WiFi tethering. Usually it's me and the wife tethering our laptops. It's still a good experience. I have tethered up to 3 devices and it's still a good experience. Of course, keep in mind that any bandwidth hogs (youtube) will really make it suck for everyone tethered.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Well that is good to know. I tried it out but never thought to try more then 1 device.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

exmeaguy

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I routinely use Barnacle for WiFi tethering. Usually it's me and the wife tethering our laptops. It's still a good experience. I have tethered up to 3 devices and it's still a good experience. Of course, keep in mind that any bandwidth hogs (youtube) will really make it suck for everyone tethered.

How much is the Barnacle app? So the laptop would access the WIFI signal that the Barnacle app is transmitting? I assume then this would be secured?

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The app is free. You can secure the WiFi signal or leave it open. In my case, we leave it open. When used in the car, it's doubtful that someone would be following me close enough to capture my moving signal. When I'm at the farm, there is nobody close enough that they could pick up the signal.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, when we rode Amtrak from New Orleans to Chicago we did enable encryption so we didn't have anyone "borrowing" our WiFi as there was none provided on the train.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos