So i've seen how i can tether for free, is there a way to get the 3g hot spot going for free? I checked out some older posts but really didn't see much for this.

Thanks
    09-11-2010 11:32 AM
    If you root (easy and takes less than 5 minutes), you can use a program like Barnacle or Wireless Tether to turn your X into a free wireless hotspot.
    09-11-2010 12:37 PM
    can you tether to more then 1 device with wireless tether?
    09-11-2010 02:38 PM
    can you tether to more then 1 device with wireless tether?
    Up to 5 but I wouldn't recommend it as the speeds would be too slow. I've done 2-3 simultaneously and speeds have been great.
    09-11-2010 02:40 PM
    I routinely use Barnacle for WiFi tethering. Usually it's me and the wife tethering our laptops. It's still a good experience. I have tethered up to 3 devices and it's still a good experience. Of course, keep in mind that any bandwidth hogs (youtube) will really make it suck for everyone tethered.
    09-11-2010 04:32 PM
    Well that is good to know. I tried it out but never thought to try more then 1 device.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    09-12-2010 07:38 AM
    I routinely use Barnacle for WiFi tethering. Usually it's me and the wife tethering our laptops. It's still a good experience. I have tethered up to 3 devices and it's still a good experience. Of course, keep in mind that any bandwidth hogs (youtube) will really make it suck for everyone tethered.
    How much is the Barnacle app? So the laptop would access the WIFI signal that the Barnacle app is transmitting? I assume then this would be secured?
    10-12-2010 12:27 PM
    The app is free. You can secure the WiFi signal or leave it open. In my case, we leave it open. When used in the car, it's doubtful that someone would be following me close enough to capture my moving signal. When I'm at the farm, there is nobody close enough that they could pick up the signal.
    10-12-2010 12:43 PM
    Oh yeah, when we rode Amtrak from New Orleans to Chicago we did enable encryption so we didn't have anyone "borrowing" our WiFi as there was none provided on the train.
    10-12-2010 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD