I want to use my bb ringtone for a notification...

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to use a ringtone from my blackberry as a notification sound and I can't get out to work or eeven play for that matter....its actually a sound not a ringtone but regardless. I transfered all my ringtones from a saved folder on my pc but wasn't real sure where to put the files on the x.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Ringtones live on your sdcard under /ringtones or /notifications or /alerts you can also put these folders in /media/audio

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I tried moving it to the /audio but it still didn't show up when I went to select a notification sound. I tried sticking all the mp3 files in music...they showed up but that's it.i really didn't think it would be this tricky

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you have the following folders:
ringtones
notifications
alerts

Either on the root of your sdcard or on /media/audio on the sdcard.

Copy the mp3, ogg, mid ringtones into the folder that best matches their use.

Switch your usb connection to Charge Only from the notification bar if still connected to the pc. Or disconnect it.

Reboot your phone (not always necessary)

New tones should work.

Keep in mind that they will not work while the usb cable is connected to your pc due to the sdcard being unavailable. Even with Charge Only selected some apps such as double twist can keep the sdcard busy preventing your phone from using them.

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you have the following folders:
ringtones
notifications
alerts

Either on the root of your sdcard or on /media/audio on the sdcard.

Copy the mp3, ogg, mid ringtones into the folder that best matches their use.

Switch your usb connection to Charge Only from the notification bar if still connected to the pc. Or disconnect it.

Reboot your phone (not always necessary)

New tones should work.

Keep in mind that they will not work while the usb cable is connected to your pc due to the sdcard being unavailable. Even with Charge Only selected some apps such as double twist can keep the sdcard busy preventing your phone from using them.

Do I need to create those three folders or are they supposed to be there already? :eek: Sorry if these are rediculous questions....if anyone knows of a tutorial one could guide me to, I'd take that, mainly to save roberte1342 the aggrivation of newbieness :confused:

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Download aring from Android Market and select the ringtone that you want from the list. Click on set as, and set as either ringtone or notification.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
what ringtone is it? I had that problem using the chigong and ended up having someone email it to me and loading it that way for it to work.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Here's how you add ringtones and notifications from your computer...

USB connect your X to the computer, open the SD card on the screen.

Then look for the EXISTING folders as follows...

Media > audio > notifications (OR) ringtones

Drag and drop your ringtone or notification into the appropriate folder. That's it.

PS -- Somewhere in this forum is a link to nearly all the BB ringtones, notifications. Pretty cool to download and add (as above), then use on the X. Do a search for BlackBerry ringtones.

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the help! Sorry you had to hold my hand through the whole thing! I finally got it....I'm surprised they didn't already have these folders in place, at least the separation of alarms, notifications, and ringtones...I really didn't want to put them in the wrong place! But anywho, its done now and I have the tone I wanted for my sms's! Thank you again!

Mister869

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Do I need to create those three folders or are they supposed to be there already? :eek: Sorry if these are rediculous questions....if anyone knows of a tutorial one could guide me to, I'd take that, mainly to save roberte1342 the aggrivation of newbieness :confused:

Create the folders notifications and alerts. You can do this on your PC with phone connected via USB (mass storage mode) or download Astro File Manager from the Market and do it directly on phone.
Dump your ringtones from BB in appropriate folders.
I moved over 100 ringtones/sounds from my BB via this method.

EinZtein

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
This is how it really works...You can add and manage your own sounds without a 3rd party app.

Just make a directory on sdcard, I use Astro file manager.

/sdcard/system/media/audio/alarms

/sdcard/system/media/audio/notifications

/sdcard/system/media/audio/ringtones

I copied some notifications from the root to alarms on sdcard, "heaven" is sweet to wake up to each morning instead of those obnoxious defaults.

An old s60 trick, enjoy.