Opened my phone to see "Blank SD card" notification

newob

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks.
Today I got a "Blank SD card" notification. Everything seems to be gone on the SD. I sent a some texts and read a few emails about an hour before notification. The only changes I have made recently to the SD are a Launcherpro backup and setting my Advanced Task Killer Free to auto kill "aggresive" once an hour -- NOTE -- i have all system tasks/apps ignored! It kills DolphinHD/Facebook/camera, etc... It kills no system apps.
With my Laucherpro backup I was on v0.7.7.3. This happened a few days back. Yesterday I upgraded to v0.7.8.1 and tried out the new facebook widget, at this time, everything was fine. I haven't done anything else, haven't even shot a picture in a few days. It's really disappointing to loose all the pictures and videos that had been captured. Connecting to pc was no luck, shows no SD. The physical SD looks fine. Popped out the battery to get to it, took it out, put it back in. Restart, and.... same thing.

What do you guys think? I doubt ATK did this. Laucherpro maybe with the update. Maybe the SD was bad to begin with? I haven't reformated yet thinking maybe somehow pics/videos can be recovered.
Any ideas? Thanks.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Plug it into a PC and run an image recovery program.
After you're files are recovered, reformat it as FAT32
You can also try running chkdsk.

Edit: I should clarify that the above should be run with the SD Card removed from the X and inserted into a SD Card reader on a PC.

Last edited:

newob

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Plug it into a PC and run an image recovery program.
After you're files are recovered, reformat it as FAT32
You can also try running chkdsk.

Edit: I should clarify that the above should be run with the SD Card removed from the X and inserted into a SD Card reader on a PC.

Thank you for the reply but I can't get windows to recognize the disk. As soon as I plug in the reader theres a popup saying, "You need to format the disk in drive before you can use it. Do you want to format it?" The recovery program thinks there isn't anything in the drive. It's just nothing. :(

EDIT: Just tried to format on pc and it wont. I guess the SD died.

Last edited:

edjr905

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem yesterday! I hadn't even taken the sd card up until then so i know it wasn't anything i did. Anyways i decided i'd call tech support about it and of course they troubleshot the phone and found nothing wrong with it so i decided to go into a verizon store and see if they could do anything with it but no solution there. The guy told me to try and plug it into my computer and maybe it would fix it but no luck there and i also tried to plug it into an sd reader but that also didn't work. I was convinced that it was a problem with the sd card so i decided to format it in the phone but that doesn't even work. I know it deletes all the contents on the sd card but you should try it my guess is your phone wont be able to format it either. So after all that i just decided to call verizon about it again and when they saw i had exhausted all other options they decided they'd just overnight a replacement to me haha so if your ok with losing all your data on that sd card then you should jus get it replaced at their expense. one last thing though. does anyone know how we can report this problem to google? I've noticed that there are countless threads that show many other motorola droid phones having this problem!

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
This should be a heads-up to back up your card contents from time to time on your computer. Easy ...

Connect via USB (in USB mass storage mode, which you can select by pressing "USB connection" in the notification bar pulldown), open the SD card on your computer as though it were a flash drive, drag/drop all files into a folder you create on your computer. This will copy the contents, but not disturb the original SD card.

You should do this periodically. Takes a bit of time, but worth it.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Should add here to ignore any attempts by the Motorola MotoConnect program. I uninstalled it after discovering it just makes life complicated and now have to hit cancel every time the install window opens on my computer... which is every time I plug in the X with USB.

wabadroid

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I had the same thing happen. It was on my 2nd Droid X. Fortunately, it happened on day 30 of my 30 days and I insisted they take it back and give me a new one. Soooooo frustrated about all the pictures !!

kdkinc

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
This should be a heads-up to back up your card contents from time to time on your computer. Easy ...

Connect via USB (in USB mass storage mode, which you can select by pressing "USB connection" in the notification bar pulldown), open the SD card on your computer as though it were a flash drive, drag/drop all files into a folder you create on your computer. This will copy the contents, but not disturb the original SD card.

You should do this periodically. Takes a bit of time, but worth it.

Arelunda:
I do what you do monthly.
Maybe you might have some insight on this question ?

I tried to do that on my linux side of my pc . After it was done , I tried to open my sd with Astro and other methods and my sd was borked.
Had to go to VZW to get them to format the sd card.

alls fine now but I now only use my windows side of the pc for backup of sd card.

Thanks

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I experienced this issue a number of times before and my solution was to format the card under the dos command menu instead of trying to delete it under windows. The nature of the problem appears to come from old settings that was left on card the the system tries to access that isn't attached to any app... Might also want to consider cleaning up any old data that is attached to uninstall apps, my device wouldn't boot until I uninstalled old app information that was still on my SD Card.

Should add here to ignore any attempts by the Motorola MotoConnect program. I uninstalled it after discovering it just makes life complicated and now have to hit cancel every time the install window opens on my computer... which is every time I plug in the X with USB.

You can go into ADD and REMOVE area and remove the MotoDonnect application without removing the drivers in the latest updated installer from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I would try using a card reader to copy all the data from the card to the pc. Then re-install the card and see if you can now format it.

A side note...this is a perfect example of why refurbs (sent out as replacements) are perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with this phone, so cs just sends a replacement and after they put new skins on this one, somebody will one day get it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Any solutions for this problem for those of us using a Mac? Also do I need to buy a card reader? I don't have one.

If I owned a mac, I'd buy a phone that went with it. You could invest in either a pc, or some emulator software. I'm not saying that mac's are bad, or that windows is good, but the world is run on a windows platform...bucking the system is not without its consequences.

Unclecheese

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
++1 - Had my stock SD card die in the first month. I took a picture and POOF!! Phone could not read from the SD card. Could not read it using a PC. Took it to Verizon. At first the girl said I had to do go through the SD card Mfg. to get a replacement. I told her "I don't think so". After a short meeting with her manager I was given a new "name brand" SD card. The junk one was not branded. I back up pictures, files, etc now but still keeping fingers crossed.

android_nc

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me last night... I insert it into my Laptop and it shows up as Drive G but prompts me asking if I want to format it...

On the advice of a friend, I downloaded 'GetDataBack' for FAT from runtime.org and after 20 minutes of scanning the drive, it located all files and folders - the complete directory structure... At that point, I had to pay $70 to register the software so I could copy the data off the SD card to my hard drive (small price to pay to get my data back)....

I tried to do a chkdsk but windows couldn't perform it on a RAW drive...

I was able to Format the card after files were recovered and copy the complete structure back to the uSD card...

All the repair work was done in Windows 7 x64...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463