What type replacement should I expect

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My Droid X goes crazy on Tuesday so I go to the Verizon store for a exorcism. The Lady tech there throws up her hands and says I'll just order you a replacement and it will be to you by Thursday. I am without a phone period right now so I'm a little stressed but the bigger question was whether I'll have the new one by Thursday. Well just a few minutes ago I get a email from FEDEX that my package should be delivered tomorrow (Thursday) as the lady said.
My question is this going to be a brand new phone, a return, or a refurb?
This question is to anyone who has had a similar circumstance.
Just wondering since the forums are full of people who had to wait for some time to get their first Droid X.

G

GenericMessage

My Droid X goes crazy on Tuesday so I go to the Verizon store for a exorcism. The Lady tech there throws up her hands and says I'll just order you a replacement and it will be to you by Thursday. I am without a phone period right now so I'm a little stressed but the bigger question was whether I'll have the new one by Thursday. Well just a few minutes ago I get a email from FEDEX that my package should be delivered tomorrow (Thursday) as the lady said.
My question is this going to be a brand new phone, a return, or a refurb?
This question is to anyone who has had a similar circumstance.
Just wondering since the forums are full of people who had to wait for some time to get their first Droid X.

Great question!

Sadly many people here get this confused.

You will get a refurbished phone, done deal. Thats just how their warranty system works.

This is not to be confused with Like-New Certified Replacements.

Refurbs are designed only to work (so not free of cosmetic blemishes, ect)

The "like new" ones are to be in the same condition as a brand new out of the box model (minus that out of the box freshness)

Trust me, I've been through this a few times lol

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow That's really dissapointing if true.
I haven't had the phone for a full 60 days yet.
My broken phone stays cased and in pristine condition.
I wipe it down at least a couple times a week (case included) and it has never touched the ground.
Bummer!!!!!

G

GenericMessage

Wow That's really dissapointing if true.
I haven't had the phone for a full 60 days yet.
My broken phone stays cased and in pristine condition.
I wipe it down at least a couple times a week (case included) and it has never touched the ground.
Bummer!!!!!

It's 30 days not 60

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Would have done that in-store if that was the case.

Unless the stores are out of 'em!

And that never happens, amiright!?
Chances are that the store has no inventory, but doesn't matter cause he is past 30 days. I do know that you get a new phone within your 30 day window, as I have done it more than once.

G

GenericMessage

Chances are that the store has no inventory, but doesn't matter cause he is past 30 days. I do know that you get a new phone within your 30 day window, as I have done it more than once.

This is a fact.

Within 30 days, you get a brand-spakin' new phone

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I realize it was past the 30.
But it is not an insurance replacement with the $100.00 fee.
She ordered it like a new phone at $0 I thought.
Looking at the receipt it says under return policy
"New and Certified Pre-Owned merchandise must be returned in 30 days."
Problem is the receipt doesn't say which she ordered and I can't tell without a retail price $199 versus 149.
The replacement reciept says:
FRUMOTB810 FRU:MOTMB810 S $0.00
I guess I'll know tomorrow when it arrives

G

GenericMessage

I realize it was past the 30.
But it is not an insurance replacement with the $100.00 fee.
She ordered it like a new phone at $0 I thought.
Looking at the receipt it says under return policy
"New and Certified Pre-Owned merchandise must be returned in 30 days."
Problem is the receipt doesn't say which she ordered and I can't tell without a retail price $199 versus 149.
The replacement reciept says:
FRUMOTB810 FRU:MOTMB810 S $0.00
I guess I'll know tomorrow when it arrives

It's a refurb, as I've previously stated

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
When in doubt go to the policy.
Return Policy & Termination Fee | Verizon Wireless
If you're having a problem with your wireless device, just contact Verizon Wireless toll?free at 1.866.406.5154 from a landline phone. We'll diagnose the issue with you right over the phone. If we cannot resolve the problem while you're on the line and the problem is caused by a manufacturing defect within the first year you own the wireless device, we'll send you a Certified Like?New Replacement (either a like unit or one of comparable quality) right to your door. Certified Like?New Replacements will carry the remaining warranty period from the original wireless device, or 90 days, whichever is greater.

That is also why I buy at costco. I have a 90 day return window.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
FRU= field replacement unit aka certified like new aka refurb

I had the relationship between certified like new (CLN) and refub explained to me a bit differently.

Refurb means someone sent it in with a problem. They (supposedly) fixed it, wiped the phone, and sent it back into the replacement system.

CLN could be several things. When a new phone is released, they send demo units to reviewers, public figures, other PR stuff. Or they are used as demo units in stores. Those demo units, i'm told, are changed out monthly. CLN, especially on a new phone like the DX, is "likely" to be one of these.

Again, this is from the horse's mouth. Take it for what it's worth. Tech Support would never lie to us, would they? :rolleyes:

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Update:
Got my replacement today.
It looks flawless without a blemish.
It also is newer than the one that I previously had because it has the revised battery pull tab.
It may not be straight from the assembly line but based on the condition it has been reskinned.
It did not come with a battery, case back, or memory card though.
It may be like what we used to do when I worked in automotive.
We new there problems when new components were released so we did limited service runs of production to cover a certain percentage that may be defective. We couldn't count on refurbs to address premature failures.
In any case I'm a happy camper again....well almost...it didn't have FROYO preinstalled

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63