best way to close windows after browsing ?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Call me crazy or whatever but I open up the "all windows" screen and hit the close button next to any and all open windows when I'm done and then my homepage will automatically open up and I'll just hit the back button once and it'll be all closed.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
While in browser, hit the menu button, Windows, and then the minus button next to the window that's open or a red x or whatever it is. I'm on 2.2 so it's a minus button and I can't remember if 2.1 was the same.

coltsbr

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info, does anyone know if the X has a task manager that we can pull up to make sure there are not apps running in the background that will drain the battery?

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
You can download them. You don't need one, though. Android keeps things in memory for faster access, until it needs that memory for something. It does a fantastic job of this. A task manager can, and usually does, cause more problems than it's worth. The task manager trends to kill apps that android puts right back in memory, and you end up wasting processor time and battery life by accomplishing... Almost nothing.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

coltsbr

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You can download them. You don't need one, though. Android keeps things in memory for faster access, until it needs that memory for something. It does a fantastic job of this. A task manager can, and usually does, cause more problems than it's worth. The task manager trends to kill apps that android puts right back in memory, and you end up wasting processor time and battery life by accomplishing... Almost nothing.

I never looked at it that way. I was just trying to think of ways to save battery life and could not find any real way to close browser and applications after I open them up.

asabino

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Very true. When I first got my x, I dloaded a task killer app, and found that it was more of a problem than to let the droid os do is thing

DROID X with Tapatalk

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Automatic task killers are a pain. But I find using Task Manager to kill an annoying app that's using a lot of CPU (and Battery) to be very useful once in a while.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I never looked at it that way. I was just trying to think of ways to save battery life and could not find any real way to close browser and applications after I open them up.

Browser web-pages are the least of the worry anyways. The are for all intents and purposes written to disk and not part of your system memory. Nor are they being processed. Android just brings up the state they were in once you switch to them.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
To save battery life by closing down background apps...

Settings > Applications > Manage applications> Menu > filter > running

Long press and "stop" those apps that you KNOW you aren't using, such as downloaded apps. Careful not to close something important to the DX ops.

While in the Applications menu, you can also go into Running Services. Long press on things you don't use (like Facebook or Google Talk, if you don't use them). Again, be careful.

All these will be back again as running if you turn off your X or do a batt pull. Gets to be a pain to repeatedly shut them down, but the difference in battery life is HUGE!