3G icon in notification area

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Is it normal for the 3G icon to be missing whenever I unlock the screen? I'm new to the Droid X and whenever I unlock the screen, I see a few signal bars and about two seconds later, the 3G symbol pops up. Does this mean that the phone drops the 3G connection while locked?

Btw - This is with wifi turned off. I know the 3g goes away while on wifi but I'm not on wifi when this happens.

weasle543

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes it will if the battery management settings are set up to turn off the data connection. Check settings> battery manager> battery profile options> data time out for peak and off peak.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Mine does this too. I think it's a bug. I don't get notifications from Sports Tap when this occurs.

EDIT: Thanks, weasle543. I've changed mine to never time out during peak hours, and one hour during off-peak hours.

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have peak set to never timeout and off-peak is set to 15 minutes. The weird thing is that its doing it during peak hours and does it seconds after the screen goes dark.

I can press the button on the top of the phone, wait a second, press it again and the 3g icon is gone only to come back in about two seconds.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it has to do with the battery being low. The battery was at 30%. I plugged the phone to the laptop via usb and now that it's charging, it doesn't do it. The 3g stays on now.

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Mines been at 60 - 70% tonight and still did it earlier.

Is your phone set to battery saver mode by any chance? I found a thread on another forum stating that this behavior is normal when in smart mode and the battery gets low or when running in battery saver mode.

I can get my phone to do it regardless of battery charge level by switching the battery profile to battery saver mode. However, I always run my phone in smart mode so that may explain why I only saw the issue after the battery got low.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Is your phone set to battery saver mode by any chance? I found a thread on another forum stating that this behavior is normal when in smart mode and the battery gets low or when running in battery saver mode.

I can get my phone to do it regardless of battery charge level by switching the battery profile to battery saver mode. However, I always run my phone in smart mode so that may explain why I only saw the issue after the battery got low.

No, I'm also in smart mode. I'm hoping that changing the data timeout will resolve the issue.

wguffey3

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This is an issue than I am having as well. Changing to smart mode and tweaking the timeout settings has helped some. However, mine will drop network even when i am using it and it is dead in the water until it reconnects.

I love this phone and hopes this improves but I have tried everything I can find and it is some better, but it is still there. However, Thursday, I lost push to my Gmail account and had to do a factory reset to get it back. I am kinda concerned that the issues may be related. Time will tell I suppose. Please post it up if you find anything to alleviate your issues.

wguffey3

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This is the same issue that I brought up in another thread. I also tweaked the timeout settings but even in smart mode, I still have the issue occasionally. Mine will even do it while I am using it regardless of battery level. If you find another possible cause please post it up as I am out of ideas.

I love this phone and this is, so far, only mildly annoying so I hope it gets better. However, I have already lost push capabilty on Gmail once as well and had to do a factory reset to get it back. I am wondering if the issues are related.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac