Suggested policy: X Froyo issues

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It is unfortunate to see so many with problems post OTA Froyo. Personally, I have experienced no significant problems to date on my stock device post 2.2 and I'm not alone (see the thread here at AC).

Its now impossible to gauge the severity/incidence of any of these issues because many (if not most) of the problems are occurring on rooted, bootstrapped, pre-release 2.2'ed, rolled back, etc., etc. There is a clear correlation between some of the problems seen and devices that were modified prior to DL. While some stock devices are also experiencing issues, its become impossible to distinguish "real" bugs from the fall-out of software tinkering which is responsible for the lion-share of the now rampant negative sentiment and griping for an otherwise effective update for many X users.

As a result, I'd like to suggest that we do the following when posting to receive feedback/suggestions on issues:

1) The nature of the problem/bug/issue

2) Stock device or any software modification prior to DL (if so, indicate root, pre-release 2.2, rolled back, etc.)?

3) Use of task killers post update?

4) Launcher used

I know less than almost everyone here re: the inner workings of these software systems and do not pretend to have an answer for any of the issues people are experiencing. I'm just hoping we can find a better way to sort through the pages of issues to get a better sense for how bulletproof this update really is.

Open to thoughts from other users and thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
1) Lock screen slider cannot be disabled; security pattern lock follows behind it normally

2) Stock device, absolutely no software mods of any kind

3) None

4) Launcher Pro +

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Bump. I see the Froyo Hater-aid is strong in the forums again today...

There's no need to compile issues here (but you're more than welcome to), just another suggestion try to indicate if the problems are occurring on a stock device or one that has been user-modified, task-killed, etc. Its the only way we'll get an objective measure of what's really going on with the device.

As for my X, still no problems on my stock device no Froyo upgrade day 2.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
1. Lag and random reboot twice, overall choppiness and not fluid like was with 2.1 also screen becomes irresponsive at times. Again none if the problems occured with 2.1

2. Stock never was rooted used the official OTA update

3. Never used a task killer

4. Used standard blur LPP and adw problems persisted throughout

Also have done multiple factory data resets, did a hard reset device wipe and cleared cache. Nothin could fix the problems and the lag and clunkiness

Last edited:

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
^Zombiepug, nice post. Do me a favor. Go check your "Running services" under the settings menu and take a look to see how many apps/widgets/services you're not using or interested in are running in the background.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
^Zombiepug, nice post. Do me a favor. Go check your "Running services" under the settings menu and take a look to see how many apps/widgets/services you're not using or interested in are running in the background.

In order list of running services up time is is about 13 hours no task killer used
Extdispservice
google messagingservice
feedrecieverservice
weather service
authenticationservice
news retrieval service
cache service
global unplugservice
calendarwidgetprovider
skype mobile
syncservice
usbservice
syncengine service
datamanger service
multi-touch keyboard

and this list is the same as it was on 2.1 so nothing new was added.
the only widgets i have are the calendar widget, google search and power control. ( use these 3 widgets regardless of launcher.

memory at the bottom reads as such:
other: 105mb in 10 Avail: 33mb+179mb in 42

basically its all that bloatware and such that keeps turning itself on no matter what. and i understand i could root and use like busybox and remove it but my issue with that is wondering why it never lagged in 2.1

I wish i could just redownload the official 2.2 like fully fresh install not just a wipe but as far as i know this is not possible without root and leak right?

Last edited:

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Let's start small. In red:

Extdispservice
google messagingservice
feedrecieverservice
weather service
authenticationservice
news retrieval service. Kill if you don't use the moto newsfeed widget
cache service
global unplugservice
calendarwidgetprovider
skype mobile. Kill if you don't use active Skype connection.
syncservice
usbservice
syncengine service
datamanger service
multi-touch keyboard

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Let's start small. In red:

Extdispservice
google messagingservice
feedrecieverservice
weather service
authenticationservice
news retrieval service. Kill if you don't use the moto newsfeed widget
cache service
global unplugservice
calendarwidgetprovider
skype mobile. Kill if you don't use active Skype connection.
syncservice
usbservice
syncengine service
datamanger service
multi-touch keyboard

i will sometimes kill the apps in there i dont use but never noticed a difference i never use any of the moto apps or widgets just never seen a speed improvement from disabling all the apps and services. so didnt want to keep going into there killing all the time

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually, these two don't start back up on my phone, unless I reboot. Skype does on occasion, but its rare. Interesting that every phone seems to have its unique temperament.

Lightninrod

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone to Sandra at VZW smart phone tech support about an email problem. After we talked about that(still not sure it's fixed?), I asked her why my home screen does not rotate as I thought that was a new feature I got when I updated to 2.2. She then said 2.2 had been pulled back as there were problems with it that they were working on and I should expect a new update soon.

If this is a duplication of an earlier thread, I'm sorry. I didn't search for it and I was so surprised by what she said, I wanted to ask about this here.

My X was never rooted.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If true, that's news to basically all of us. I also have my doubts since several colleagues had the OTA pushed to them within the hour.