soo many usless tings running 24/7

wugawug

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
just as stated. i can use ATK back to back and then we'll go to a long list of crap running, also in running services that i dont use then 20 mins later they're restarting. how can i get rid of this junk and drop down to no crap running when i pull up ATK? my old droid would keep things killed, WTF is up with this OTA keeping things running? there is also no ATK update they just say to reinstall and reboot to fix the anti-killing and i tried that with no anvil. i want to gut as much useless stuff as possible without killing chances for new OTA's.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
It's what some people call bloatware, and unfortunately, there is a bunch of stuff that runs in the background no matter what you do (unless you root your phone).

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
just as stated. i can use ATK back to back and then we'll go to a long list of crap running, also in running services that i dont use then 20 mins later they're restarting. how can i get rid of this junk and drop down to no crap running when i pull up ATK? my old droid would keep things killed, WTF is up with this OTA keeping things running? there is also no ATK update they just say to reinstall and reboot to fix the anti-killing and i tried that with no anvil. i want to gut as much useless stuff as possible without killing chances for new OTA's.

part of what is new of froyo is that it tends to keep more tasks running, but it manages the memory much more efficiently. you should not be seeing any slowdown on your phone, even if all these tasks are running. now something froyo does not do is play nice with task killers, as froyo basically does not allow third party apps to kill programs. this is why these apps keep restarting after using ATK to kill them. the good news is, you dont need a task killer! i promise, the phone does a spectacular job of managing memory on its own; no need to dive in and do things yourself. if an app is ever causing you problems, you can always go to menu>settings>applications>manage applications and then select the app you want to kill and press the "force stop" button.

now, as far as stripping the bloat, you can only do it if you are rooted. you can delete non-essential bloat programs, but that is not always a great idea, because as you mentioned, it might hinder you from receiving further OTA's. what i do is use titanium backup (an app) to freeze these programs, keeping them on the phone, but preventing them from running

newob

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
titanium can freeze the bloatware? interesting. so there would be no need to go in and rename? i wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are in these two different strategies.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
i got tired of seeing the same thing. i finally rooted and renamed the bloat to .bak instead of .apk. rebooted and they are all gone. if i need to get another ota ill just rename them back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20