Email on the Droid X

T-Bone

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I am still using my original Storm 1. I?ve been fortunate in that it?s worked pretty well for me. I have been able to upgrade for a while, but the Storm 2 wasn?t a big enough leap. And if I?m going to have this phone for another two years, the Storm 2.5 isn?t a big enough leap either. So I?m considering the Droid X. What I?m trying to understand first however, is how the Droid email works and I have yet to find a clear answer. I have read that BB email is much better, but does this apply to mostly corporate email?

I have personal pop3 (xxxx@comcast.net) account. I do not sync my email, contacts or calendar with Outlook or anything else.

Will a copy of my emails get sent to the Droid like it?s sent to my BB? A Verizon tech told me that I should receive emails within about 10-15 minutes or so after they without having to have them ?forwarded? to gmail first. Can anyone confirm this? For me, waiting a few minutes for an email is no big deal.

Thanks!

Also, my BB allows me to delete the email on the phone only, or the phone and server, and to save emails on the phone itself. Is this the same on the Droid?

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
First of all, you would have found a HUGE difference between the Storm 1 and 2. But compared to the DX, both are lightyears behind. You will LOVE the X.

As for email, you have to have a Gmail account when you first fire up the X. You don't have to actually use the Gmail account for your email. It functions as regular email or can be set up to "fetch" your pop3 email and push it all to your X as it comes in. Or, you can set it up to "fetch" email on a set time schedule. Works very well! Have had zero problems with email.

When you set up your Gmail account (either before you get your Droid X or at the time you get one), you need to go into the settings and enable Gmail to fetch from your other email accounts. Takes only a few minutes.

Gmail/Google will sync (instantly) your email, contacts and calendar between your pc and your X. So, if you delete or change anything on pc/mac or on the X, it is changed accordingly on everything. This includes email. But, you have the options to create additional folders for email storage and can put email in these from the X or PC/mac. It will clear your inbox yet preserve the email you want to save.

I use Gmail (actually it's done through the Google account) for email, contacts and calendar. Originally used Outlook and synced to Gmail, but that became just an extra step. I like it better without Outlook and still have all the functionality. There are backup options and all works very efficiently.

Nearly everything and every app on the X can be customized if you wish, or you can run things stock. Enormous flexibility. Enjoy your X - it's guaranteed that you will.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
PS - I made Gmail my home page on my pc browser. From there, I can also directly access my contacts and calendar - and all the settings, extras, etc. Makes for an extremely efficient experience. And. you can opt to stay logged in, eliminating that step each time you check email from your computer.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You do not need to set up gmail in this fashion. The DX can be set to pull directly from the POP server. Doing it this way makes it pull much faster than going through GMail. The GMail account is only required to purchase apps from the Market.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
T-Bone,

I came from the Blackberry Storm 9530 to the Droid X. I was very much into the Beta software builds and had a good experience on my Storm.

I will say this first. MAKE THE MOVE.

Going from the Storm to the Droid X is like trading in your ghetto-rigged minibike for a tricked-out crotchrocket. There is not once out of exaggeration in that statement.

I had Gmail on my Storm. I brought the account over to my Droid X and without any manipulation of the settings my Gmail experience has not changed one bit between my Storm and Droid X. I use the email and calendar services and I love it.

There are a bunch of Storm users over here. So make the move, send me your G-talk name and lets get you on board in style.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
You do not need to set up gmail in this fashion. The DX can be set to pull directly from the POP server. Doing it this way makes it pull much faster than going through GMail. The GMail account is only required to purchase apps from the Market.

This is true and I did this at first. I don't notice a difference in delivery speed for pop3 accounts, but then I don't do a lot with email any more. Most is text, mms.

Good point. I'd forgotten about this.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
T-Bone: I made the switch from a BB Curve to the Droid X. I too only use a POP email and it works just fine. I debated for a long time on making the switch, but I am sure glad I did.

BryceMidn1te

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
T-bone, to answer the most important question that you asked (IMO), I came from the Storm 2 and have not found a way to delete only on the phone. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, I just haven't found it. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. I have only had my X about 3 weeks. I loved my Storm 2, but this phone really is (as someone already said), light years ahead.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The answer is, for most situations, if you delete on the X, you delete on your server ... unless you are working with a business server. In that case, it would depend on how that is set up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1