google finally listened about the stupid conversation view

jasco13

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Read an article that said conversations will become an option not a requirement for gmail soon. I hope this trickles down to android too. I hate that I can't see all my mail when I view gmail at startup.

PremeOne

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ditto, I think the threaded conversation is about the only complaint that I have about Gmail. I think it should have always been an option to turn on or off. I know some of my friends love it, it's not for me though.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Boy! I sure agree it should be an option and will welcome that change if it comes to pass. I hope they send a notice about it, otherwise, we will just chug along "as per usual."

With threaded email "conversations," it's terribly difficult to tell when there is new email from the same source -- and to track what's been said before. Too many windows to open; too much going on on the screen. I think this was an example of trying too hard to simplify. It's so much easier the "old fashioned" way to just open the email and see whatever has gone before.

Also, with threaded style, it's very easy to miss attachments, especially when using the Gmail page with my pc browser. So much going on in the screen. Very hard to follow and takes a long time to be comfortable with it.

Otherwise, I think Gmail is GREAT!

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Boy! I sure agree it should be an option and will welcome that change if it comes to pass. I hope they send a notice about it, otherwise, we will just chug along "as per usual."

With threaded email "conversations," it's terribly difficult to tell when there is new email from the same source -- and to track what's been said before. Too many windows to open; too much going on on the screen. I think this was an example of trying too hard to simplify. It's so much easier the "old fashioned" way to just open the email and see whatever has gone before.

Also, with threaded style, it's very easy to miss attachments, especially when using the Gmail page with my pc browser. So much going on in the screen. Very hard to follow and takes a long time to be comfortable with it.

i find threaded view to be the exact opposite! different stokes i guess :)

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Having an option would be fine for anyone else, but threaded conversations is my favorite feature in Gmail. I can't imagine not having it anymore.

jasco13

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I spoke too soon. This didn't fix my biggest complaint with gmail. Why do I need labels again and why do you keep moving opened emails out of the inbox and into all mail folder? It is annoying that when I go to look for an email that I received and already read it isn't in the inbox any more and I have to go to the all mail folder to find it. I'm smart enough to decide when and where to move my emails. Stop doing it for me....

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I spoke too soon. This didn't fix my biggest complaint with gmail. Why do I need labels again and why do you keep moving opened emails out of the inbox and into all mail folder? It is annoying that when I go to look for an email that I received and already read it isn't in the inbox any more and I have to go to the all mail folder to find it. I'm smart enough to decide when and where to move my emails. Stop doing it for me....

How is that happening? I've been using Gmail for about five years, and except for detected spam, I've never had it move an email from the inbox, unless I set a filter to do it, or did it myself. Care to elaborate?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

piddonkadonk

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Here here!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I second Adiliyo's "different strokes" comment.

I use the email client for my Google Apps email address and Gmail app for my Gmail address. I like threaded conversations. I can understand how, on a mobile device threaded email could be an issue, but I actually appreciate that I can get to things quickly, as opposed to having to scroll in the email client, and seeing six or seven emails in a row that are simply back-and-forth about the same topic. I also appreciate that I can search within the Gmail app. You can't do that with the default email client.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I hate it so much, I don't even use gmail, other then as the account I activated my phone with.

I tried using my gmail account to sell my nexus one phone on craigslist. It produced a wacky result where different emails/respondents where threaded together making no sense and giving me a lot of headaches trying to determine who asked what and whether I responded

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I dont understand.. when I open Gmail on my phone it goes directly to my inbox where all my conversations(emails) are..

jasco13

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
This only is a problem on my droid X and not on the web client. My inbox only shows 15-20 emails anything beyond that is under the All mail folder on the phone. So if i need to find something that is more than a couple days old i've got to go to labels and then to all mail. Why can't I just scroll through all mail in my inbox. I'm used my old blackberry that kept everything in your inbox until you deleted or moved it.

I am still glad to see conversation view as an option.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Somewhere - and it may be on the pc version of Gmail - there is an option to allow a specified maximum of emails in the in box. This might be your issue, given you seem to have a lot of them.

Also, has this change for Gmail threaded vs. non-threaded option in effect now? Or is it something still under development? Jasco - where did you see the article on this??

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Somewhere - and it may be on the pc version of Gmail - there is an option to allow a specified maximum of emails in the in box. This might be your issue, given you seem to have a lot of them.

Also, has this change for Gmail threaded vs. non-threaded option in effect now? Or is it something still under development? Jasco - where did you see the article on this??

It's in effect now in the settings page. I changed mine earlier today.

jasco13

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

I don't see that option anywhere. I get 3 days in the inbox and then it is gone. Let me know if you figure out where the option is.

Matt

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It's in effect now in the settings page. I changed mine earlier today.

THANK YOU!! I am SUCH A HAPPY CAMPER now!

For a the question about settings for Gmail...

Go to your Gmail page, click settings. There is a whole bunch of categories of settings across the top of the settings pages. Look under "Forwarding & POP/IMAP". There you have a number of options that will affect how you get your mail and how much of it. This likely applies only if you have your POP accounts "fetched" by Gmail and then pushed to your X.

If you have your X set up to individually check all your accounts, I don't have an answer for that. Good luck!

PS - Check out all the fine print on ALL those settings pages. You will be amazed at what you can control!!

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
FOUND IT on the X...

Settings > Accounts > My Accounts > Email (Gmail in my case because it fetches from POP 3s) > Other Settings > Number of messages to sync (25, 50, 100).

See if that helps. Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair