So I'm rooted on official 2.2 with root explorer. I've renamed just a few apk files...city id, amazon etc. Aside from just renaming or removing some apk's, is there any way to change what apps boot at startup? Even after renaming some apk files, I still see them running after boot. BTW, I do notice a performance increase by just renaming a few files. Sweet.
    09-29-2010 10:55 PM
    what extension are you using to rename them? if it is .bak, it should be disabling them. another option is to use titanium backup to freeze the apps you dont want running
    09-29-2010 11:06 PM
    Ya, .bak. I'll give titanium a try. I thought maybe there was a folder that was start up related. Probably just stuck in PC/windows mode ;-)
    09-29-2010 11:12 PM
    I just delete them altogether, LOL. I have a nandroid backup that's completely stock from when all I did was root. If I ever screw anything up too bad there's always that and if I screw it up too bad for that, there's always the SBF.
    09-29-2010 11:20 PM
    i've been freezing them myself, as then if i freeze something that i need to let the system run properly, i can just go unfreeze it.

there is no startup folder, having apps run on their own is part of android. the best thing to do is stop obsessing after you've removed/frozen what you don't use.
    09-29-2010 11:24 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. There is one thing I'm not sure about though. Does just the .apk file need to be renamed or the .odex file as well?
    09-29-2010 11:54 PM
    I'm rooted and used Root Explorer to rename stock bloatware and move to a folder in my sdcard. I recently tried to re-add the stock messaging app back to the phone, but now I cannot access the file after I've re-added it to the system/app settings on the phone? Can anyone help?
    11-21-2010 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD