Droid X gets very hot, drains battery

joeyoeyoeyo

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
This has happened 3 times now! Today I just took my Droid X out of my pocket and noticed it's very hot. My battery is down to about 60%, and it's only been unplugged from a full charge for about 3 hours. I haven't even used it today. This also happened 2 days ago, and once a few weeks ago. On those days the battery was completely drained within 5 hours of minimal use. Any other day it lasts the whole day with regular use without a problem. Also, I restart my phone at least once a week, if not every couple of days, to keep everything running smoothly.

Does anyone else have this problem or know what's going on?

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like something is running in the background. Check your apps, particularly any you recently installed. If you haven't already tried it, do a battery pull - take the battery out for a couple minutes, put it back and turn on. Often, this will settle things down.

Another place to check is in Settings > Applications > Managing Applications > running. See which of your downloaded apps are running and, if it shouldn't be, click force stop. Be careful not to stop any important apps for the X ops. However, this is only a temporary "fix" and is more useful to tell you what's going on internally.

You may need to uninstall one or more problematic downloaded apps, particularly any that may conflict with the native operating system. Look for apps that duplicate/modify basic X functions.

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, I have experienced something like this as well although it only happens when charging in my car dock. When in the dock, my x gets very hot, the charging indicator is showing and blinking but the battery does not charge.
When I remove it from the dock and let it cool for several minutes it will charge when plugged directly into the cord (& car dock removed!)
Anyone else experienced this?

IkariWarrior

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem for a few weeks. On random days it would drop from 100% to 0% before lunch and would get hot to the touch. I tried a bunch of different things, airplane mode in case it was roaming without me knowing, Juice Defender, battery pulls, removing any unnecessary widgets, etc. Eventually it just went away without ever figuring out what the cause was, now I can get two days on a charge.

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the heat/won't-charge issue on my car dock as well. It only happened when the sun was beating down on the back of the phone, though. The issue went away if it was cloudy or the sun set. On a road trip to Atlanta last month I had to frequently move my X from the car dock into a shaded area in the center console to cool off. Fortunately most of the drive was a straight shot down 95 and 85 so I didn't have to worry about getting lost.

droidsrt8

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been having this issue for some time now and it is SUPER frustrating!! I have changed my battery, charger, phone has been replaced twice, between the 3 phones i've hard reset the devices at least 10 times. Now i know its super rare to have the same issue on 3 different devices, so I replaced my memory card and didnt put ANY of my old files onto the new card, and im STILL having this issue. Im getting ready to go back to my incredible because of this issue. I will try the OSMONITOR thing

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
My Droid 2 had this problem. It would burn up on boot if I just tried to open, say, "Contacts" or "Phone"... it really worried me and was afraid the phone would overheat and shut off. I never had this problem with my Droid. I took it in and because I was within 30 days I traded for a Fascinate.

It might be an app that you have if you have the same problem on 3 phones. Because I always had the same apps on all of my Droids/Droid 2 and every problem I went through was different. Only had the battery heat problem with the 2.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Watchdog (the free version) will tell you what is eating your compute cycles. Problems like these are often an app that isn't behaving nicely that is forcing your CPU to keep running.

qwerty1

Banned
Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Same scenario for my DroidX. I even read about this when i was buying my car dock in amazon reviews.

I have Watchdog lite installed for two weeks and all that it shows is "Android System" taking up 10% CPU. This seems to be a constant symptom of the issue. Normally Android System is around 3% i believe. Its almost as if the GPS is sticking on (but does not show GPS active in task bar).

Very frustrating indeed.. Apps that kill all processes as a "psuedo-reset" do not work to fix the drain. Only pulling battery or doing a OFF / ON cycle with the power button fix it.

Wish Motorola would get involved as it seems to be their software (carhome?) or hardware (cardock).

I also have a home dock, and dont quote me on it but i am almost sure that i have had this issue START after docking in the home dock. I am 100% sure the car dock does it though.

I use google Navigation app every day... Actually have Tasker configured to watch for CarDock being launched when i am at work or home (in range of certain cell towers) and i have it open up navigation and route me to/from work. This is done so that i see the commute time popup as soon as i get in my car and dock my phone so i can decide which way to goto work (turnpike or highway).

Last edited:

spunkmeijer

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like the Assisted GPS may be enabled. I tried this feature and I experienced the exact same overheating and battery drain issues with this on. It's under settings -> Location & Secturity, might want to take a look at that and make sure it's not checked.

Once I turned this off, I never had the overheating and battery drain problem.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
i used to have this problem, it was 2 diff things. I would be in the Marketplace downloading and i hit back, the download stayed on for ever and killed my battery. so while in marketplace wait for the download complete and install and go about your use-

i also have my data/wifi kill after 15mins of no use and the over heat stoped-

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Are you rooted and jump from rom to rom? This caused my phone to heat up to 102 at times. Got it fixed though.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Juice Defender is an excellent app to try. It shuts off data when you have the screen off, and allows whitelisted apps, like gmail and last.fm to always work.

Good luck with the battery issue. These things are such a pain!