Rethink auto-updates for apps!

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
You may want to re-think the benefits of having your apps auto-update. I've discovered two major issues with this...

1 - Updates, especially if multiple ones at one time, occur at random and can brick your phone temporarily while they are downloading/installed. Or you will get black screens. Definitely has the potential to interfere with normal operations and cause havoc if you are involved in something important with your X.

2 - Worst of all, your "old" apps are actually replaced by the updated version during most updates and that means ALL YOUR SETTINGS REVERT TO DEFAULT. If you don't realize an app has been updated and your settings changed, you may be sending all kinds of info back to the developer and/or experiencing unexpected behavior that requires trouble-shooting.

This is just a warning. There are benefits to auto-updating, of course. But I'm going back to manually downloading them so I can control when they are updated and which ones need attention after the dl.

PS - For those who haven't figured out the secret to auto-updating apps ... AFTER you download an app from the Market, stay in the Market and go to Menu > Downloads (your list of apps already installed.) Open each installed app and at the top of the screen will be the option to check (or uncheck) the auto-update feature.

ifrankenberg

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I Second this, Auto updates are nice, but some updates can cause unwanted affects.
I think it was battery status widget that i once had and when it updated it cuased the phone to go into a constant reboot.
If i had auto update on i wouldn't know what app was causing the problem with the update.

Auto update Thanks but no thanks.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think you make good points here, but I have doubts about your statement that all settings are reset to default.

That may well happen, but I think it would be an exception to the norm. I haven't had any updates so far that have messed up my prior settings.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
That's good to know that not all apps revert to default settings. There have been several for me, including the Gesture Search app, where the change of settings was very evident (went from just contacts to contacts, music, apps search.)

I have a lot of apps on my X, so this may account for the problems when a bunch are dl at the same time. At any rate, I've switched back to manual updates, but left a few at automatic.

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I choose not to auto update because then I can read what the developer actually did. For example they may add a new function or activity to the app and I wouldn't know because it updated without me knowing.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe if something changed it goes to a manual update. So no worries ,at least that what mine does.

No it doesn't, as far as I can tell. All apps that you authorize to auto-update do so on their own schedule. Also, updates normally are improvements to an app, so without changes, there would be no reason to update.

deercreek

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I actually hate the idea of auto updates. I like being able to see there's an update, check to see if there's a change log, and check to see what the most recent comments say before I commit to an update.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
No it doesn't, as far as I can tell. All apps that you authorize to auto-update do so on their own schedule. Also, updates normally are improvements to an app, so without changes, there would be no reason to update.

What he means is if it needs different access rights.

The nice thing is you can go through all of your apps and decide which to auto update if any.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I never have had auto updates on either .I didnt like that ideal ,I use phone every day and check the market(and my downloads) everyday once at least anyhoo.

As a side note I dont sync with gmail ,calender,or contacts in auto mode either ,if I add a contact I will sync eventually, and I dont use the calender(at all, I know my date's :p) or gmail (as my default mail) ;)

G

GenericMessage

I don't like auto updates cause its like skipping chrismas i like Suprises in the morning... lols

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Same here! I really enjoy manually doing it.

Sometimes I look at this forum on my phone, this is one of those times

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon