end of life for droid x next year?

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I googled "droid x end of october update", and in the results, I came upon "march 31,2011 end of life for droid x", can anyone confirm if this is true?
I know technology moves at the speed of light but damn, come on, im spoiled, make me feel like I just bought the best smart phone around. They may be planning to put a 2ghz processor in the next phone. I want to believe this is just a bunch of crap.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
The end of life is soon but not sure of the date. A screen cap of a Verizon screen showing it was posted some time back. O and you do have the best smart phone :)

sent by me on my X

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It's true...technology has not stopped improving yet. Someday there will be a better phone than mine. They will stop making my phone, just like they stopped making the 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 in 2010...unbelievable.

Nothing left...nothing left...seppuku...where's my sword.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
That's one thing that's seems to be wrong with the mobile market. While its great to see what makers are doing with each iteration, since we as customers are locked into contracts and it costs $$ to upgrade. I'd like to see carriers support a phone longer then a year.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
no one said that the carrier will not support it after march 31. it was only stated that they will no longer sell it. They are still supporting the OG droid after a year.

BrownHornet72

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
From what inJerry said on The Android Central Podcast about a month ago it just means that Verizon will continue to support the Droid X but Motorola isn't going to make anymore. Verizon will continue to sell their stock, but that's noting new. All tech usually becomes absolete in 6 months anyway, so this is to be expected. With how Motorola was with the difficulty of the X's bootloader, Im considering jumping ship sometime next year anyway even though I love my X because it is a beast, but difficult to crack.

matrix2004

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I googled "droid x end of october update", and in the results, I came upon "march 31,2011 end of life for droid x", can anyone confirm if this is true?
I know technology moves at the speed of light but damn, come on, im spoiled, make me feel like I just bought the best smart phone around. They may be planning to put a 2ghz processor in the next phone. I want to believe this is just a bunch of crap.

I'm kind of surprised you are surprised that it will be ending next year. Smartphones on Verizon are usually upgraded with a newer model every year. Droid X2 should be ready by next Summer.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I was expecting a little more than a year, not less than a year. Anyways, im still loving the heck out of my x, just hope they keep supporting it, that's what makes me feel better about the situation. I still am feeling the sting from my storm one, storm syndrome lol. All storm one owners know what im talking about.

vstro24

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I was expecting a little more than a year, not less than a year. Anyways, im still loving the heck out of my x, just hope they keep supporting it, that's what makes me feel better about the situation. I still am feeling the sting from my storm one, storm syndrome lol. All storm one owners know what im talking about.

hell yeah I know what you mean. Im so happy I left the storm 1 and got my droid X

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The same thing happened when I transitioned to the Storm 9530. The following fall the Storm 2 was out.
Verizon still support the older Storm and normally the warranty replacement would get some a new Storm 2.
Ill be with this Droid X for a solid 2 year with NO complaints. Sure, I will drool over the the new toys but two years in this phone will not be a problem for me.

beckerfj

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me when I purchased the BB Tour on launch day...Within, I think, 7 months, the BB Tour 2 (Verizon's BOLD) came out. People were pissed, but it is a fact of smartphone life these days.

Of course, one could argue that if you go with the iPhone, you'll be guaranteed a year and not less (if Jobs doesn't change his methodology), if you want to go that route.

I'm happy with my DX, but I'm sure I'll be excited when my 1-yr is up to see what new and exciting Android phone is out there.

Keep in mind too...End of life doesn't mean your phone will be out-dated/unusable. It really depends on your definition of what out-dated means.

Dendrite

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I was chatting with one of the regional managers who was making a stop at my local VZW corporate store a week or so ago. The store was empty of customers except me at the time, so I struck up a conversation with him. He asked how I like the DX and I told him I was very pleased with it so far.

I mentioned that I was suprised that it was EOL already to which he responded that the Droid X "concept" (whatever that means) is far from dead. He told me that (nothing new here) the DX had been one of VZW's most succesful devices with great sales and minimal returned devices and he didn't think the "platform" was going to disappear any time soon.

Perhaps I was reading too much in to what he told me but it sounded like some type of Droid X2 was in the works. Time will tell but here's hoping for a device with the same form factor but faster processor, more memory, LTE... etc. etc.

unseenme#WN

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually tired of changing phones. I usually go about 4-5 months max with one because of the rapid development. I don't care about having the 'latest greatest friend-envious chick-magnet' phone. I want something that does what I need it to & is fun to use too. I'm fairly convinced that the Droid X I'm getting Friday is gonna keep me (finally) happy for longer than 4 months.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually tired of changing phones. I usually go about 4-5 months max with one because of the rapid development. I don't care about having the 'latest greatest friend-envious chick-magnet' phone. I want something that does what I need it to & is fun to use too. I'm fairly convinced that the Droid X I'm getting Friday is gonna keep me (finally) happy for longer than 4 months.

I think you'll find your expectations not only met, but exceeded by the X. Coolest phone I've owned. Still, I recommend not looking at any of the new devices that get released for 1 year. Sounds like you might have a little bit of a "greener pastures" situation going on. :)

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Same here to, I love this damn thing so much, its like a well tuned sports car, you keep pushing the gas down and it gets faster and faster.
Like many of you are saying, I don't think ill have no problem at all staying with this phone for my contract. My upgrade date was in sept of this year, and id been praying for a miracle since January that God would some how let me upgrade then from that pos storm I had.
Man the day I seen that little brown box sitting in front of my door this past September , I knew what it was, I tore into that box faster than superman. I hope this phone is for verizon like the iphone is for at&t.
Im like one person said on here to kinda, Im not really into trends myself,having the lastest and greatest what ever, but the way the storm deal went, like the old saying, shame on you if you fooled me once, same on me if you fooled me twice, I just don't wanna get it shoved up my *** again like Vzw done folks.
I don't think it well be a problem, this phone actually ****ing works, ill say it again, IT ACTUALLY WORKS! YAY!

unseenme#WN

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I think you'll find your expectations not only met, but exceeded by the X. Coolest phone I've owned. Still, I recommend not looking at any of the new devices that get released for 1 year. Sounds like you might have a little bit of a "greener pastures" situation going on. :)

lol...im a bit of a junkie as well. My thing with the X is it fits damn perfect in my hands both portrait (1 hand) & landscape (2 hands). The screen is gonna be, for me, like it was when I got an SUV and my first smartphone. Can't imagine driving a car again or using a dumbphone.....no way will I be able to go down on screensize. They can come out with all the new technology they want...my X won't be going anywhere for a while!

I just hope I don't get a dud...lol