Go back to 2.1

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Do a factory reset. It will restore your phone back to the way it was when you got it. With 2.1.

Just dont apply the 2.2 update.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Came with 2.1, can I just delete the update.zip file and restore?

No, don't do that. Big trouble. You can go to Verizon and tell them your getting random reboots and they can get back on 2.1. They were doing this a couple of weeks ago, so I assume they still are.

Have you tried the sticky'd method for fixing the 2.2 update problems? It has fixed problems on many phones.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...et-things-straight-my-droid-x-2-2-update.html

Edit...I miss spoke...you can delete the update.zip and factory restore, but it will only wipe your date and leave you with 2.2. The big trouble I was referring to was trying to flash back to 2.1 on your own. Right now, only verizon can do that for you.

Last edited:

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Hold on. If the OPs phone came with 2.1 factory if the OP does a factory reset it should have 2.1 back on it and the OP will have to get 2.2 again if the OP wants it. Which the OP doesnt. I would rename the zip to updateold.zip so you still have it if you need it.

No, don't do that. Big trouble. You can go to Verizon and tell them your getting random reboots and they can get back on 2.1. They were doing this a couple of weeks ago, so I assume they still are.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
You should get a window telling you the OTA is avaliable with the option to ignore it or apply it. I do. On my Droid I opted not too for a while. But if you dont want to do that take it to Verizon and tell them what is happening.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Hold on. If the OPs phone came with 2.1 factory if the OP does a factory reset it should have 2.1 back on it and the OP will have to get 2.2 again if the OP wants it. Which the OP doesnt. I would rename the zip to updateold.zip so you still have it if you need it.

You can't get back to 2.1 after doing the 2.2 official upgrade. I think something about the bootloader changed. This was the reason that all of the hackers using this phone didn't install the OTA. There was no way to get back to where you started from if you had problems. All the factory reset will do is wipe his data and leave 2.2 there. If he wants 2.1, he's got to visit a verizon store...unless something has changed recently that I don't know about.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
IF the OP did the official OTA update then the phone cannot be returned to 2.1 without the fully released sbf file.

IF the OP was on 2.1 updated to the leaked 2.2 through applying the update.zip file from the SD card then all that is needed is a reflash back to the 2.1 sbf file posted on many forums

to summarize. if the OP did official OTA he is SOL. if updated to the leak then just reflash and be back to 2.1 in 15 minutes.

personally the official 2.2 update is 5 times better than 2.1

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The update is fine -- there are plenty of phones out there that are using 2.2 without issue, including mine. There may be a problem with an app on the OP's phone, or there may be a problem with the phone itself. Phones don't just constantly randomly reboot themselves for no reason.

If I were the OP, I'd try a factory reset using the instructions stickied at the top of the forum. And yes, I would update to 2.2. If there are still problems, then I'd take it back to Verizon.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Phones dont randomly reboot for no reason? My Eris did. But that may be a moot point because it was an Eris. Such fail....

The update is fine -- there are plenty of phones out there that are using 2.2 without issue, including mine. There may be a problem with an app on the OP's phone, or there may be a problem with the phone itself. Phones don't just constantly randomly reboot themselves for no reason.

If I were the OP, I'd try a factory reset using the instructions stickied at the top of the forum. And yes, I would update to 2.2. If there are still problems, then I'd take it back to Verizon.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

I agree that the OTA is fine (for most people). My phone is running great. As you said, it could be related to an app, or it could be corrupted data from the update's data restoration. Either way, the sticky instructions are the best place to start. If that doesn't fix it, the OP can always have verizon set it back to 2.1.

t9giese

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

Agree 100%. Since you use the phone to make money, stick with the official verizon updates and it's on them to make sure it works or they replace the phone.

Se7enth Sinn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I agree that the OTA is fine (for most people). My phone is running great. As you said, it could be related to an app, or it could be corrupted data from the update's data restoration. Either way, the sticky instructions are the best place to start. If that doesn't fix it, the OP can always have verizon set it back to 2.1.

You're right, it has to be something app related. I brought it back to Best Buy and they gave me a brand new one (2.2) and i'm still having these random reboots.. I always format my sd and wipe my phone what i get a new one, so that post isnt anthing new. trying to find what app is causing this issue is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.