New Droid X Owner

bsewall

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello all. Wanted to say hi. I picked up a Droid X last night. Jumped from a BlackBerry Storm. The Droid X is far superior than the BB Storm in every way so far.

Question I have so far - do these phones have to be rooted to change the theme? Is there a central theme directory available online somewhere?

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! I too came from BB Storm 1 and 2 . You will find being Rooted gets you everywhere with the Droid X. In order for your new toy to be themed it has to be DEOdexed . There are plenty of threds to get you up and running on Root and Themeing . Just read up on them and get familiar with the terminology and ask questions . to be deodexed im not sure if it requires root . But im sure someone way smarter than me will answer in due time. Good luck with your progress.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The best thing you can do to get up and running is go to youtube and check out all the videos on how to do stuff on your Droid X. I found the whole Droid world so different from bb, and the videos are extremely helpful.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Theming with the DX isn't the same as with the BBs, where a multitude of themes are available for download using the stock OS. You can do a modified "theme" change by using Launcher Pro (Plus - if paid) from the Market, which gives you a wide variety of options for how your screens look and operate. Lots of specialized widgets are included as well. There is another launcher (ADW? not sure of the initials) which is popular, too.

There are many threads in this forum on both launchers with all sorts of ideas. Also, check out the thread where X owners post photos of their home screens. You'll get lots of ideas and resources.

bsewall

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll be sure to check out rooting, as well as YouTube for tutorials.

Unfortunately I already updated to the latest version of 2.2 (I think), so the rooting isn't available via the one-touch option, is it?

How do I know which version of the OS I'm running? I don't see the subversion number in the phone Status.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
1 click root

there are several ways to root your droid x with OTA2.2 . there are a couple of 1 click roots also. My favorite and to me the easiest it Silentkill's method. He spells his name different than that . but if you google it it will pop up . It is a one click that is truely a 1 click . He is on a different forum , i cant remember the name , once again google his name and you will find it.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll be sure to check out rooting, as well as YouTube for tutorials.

Unfortunately I already updated to the latest version of 2.2 (I think), so the rooting isn't available via the one-touch option, is it?

How do I know which version of the OS I'm running? I don't see the subversion number in the phone Status.

below phone status you will see "Android version" it should read 2.2 if you did the OTA from verizon. You should be running 2.3.15. with the bootloader 30.03

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad