Ring Tone Instability

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem with my DroidX. I use custom MP3s to identify different contacts. At least once a day the phone seems to lose its mind and when someone calls in instead of hearing their ring tone I get some bland ringing noise. Then I have to reboot the phone until the next time this occurs.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do to correct the problem?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've got no solution, but I do see the problem as well. Sometimes the custom ringtone works and sometime it doesn't. And this inconsistency occurs when the phone is NOT plugged into the PC. I know that custom tones (nor anything else on your sd card) work when the phone is connected to the computer.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've played with this off and on all day. It seems like if i reboot my phone, the first call I get will ring with a custom tone, but that's it. Thereafter, I only get the default ringer.

Tone_Capone

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed that sometimes, for example, person a will call who has a custom ringer.After speaking with person a, person b will will call and person a's ringer will play instead of the default ringer....very annoying

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
When I have the time, I'm going to copy my ringtones from the SD card to the phone's internal memory (I'm rooted). Then I'll reassign all my contact ringtones. I will let you know if that solves the problem.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
When I have the time, I'm going to copy my ringtones from the SD card to the phone's internal memory (I'm rooted). Then I'll reassign all my contact ringtones. I will let you know if that solves the problem.

If it works, let me know specifically where you place them on the internal memory.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I had ask if this would work but received no reply on post so I decide to wait to test this because I haven't rooted yet but I believe it should resolve it because I noticed that the SD Card mounts and dismounts from the system a number times a day and with ringers on phone the ringers shouldn't be lost because of this. If this works I thinks its time for me to stop waiting and root my device.

SlvrTrd

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I moved the ringers from my sd card to the sytem file last week using root explorer and the phone does not recognize the rintones so they would'nt play. Then I tried changing them from mp3 to ogg like the rest of the stock rintone files and the still would not work.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I moved mine to the sd card this morning and it still does not work. Frustrating, but the phone is just way to awesome for me to be too upset about it. Hopefully, somebody can figure out what the problem is. I suspect it's related to a setting we haven't thought of yet, or possibly an app that some of us have that causes a conflict. I do remember that when I was on 2.1, they always worked.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I moved the ringers from my sd card to the sytem file last week using root explorer and the phone does not recognize the rintones so they would'nt play. Then I tried changing them from mp3 to ogg like the rest of the stock rintone files and the still would not work.

I just checked mine, and although they don't work when someone calls, if I use root explored or astro to click on any of the ringtones that I placed in memory, they play fine. Mine are mp3's. Sounds like you've got something else going on with yours. Try a reboot?

SlvrTrd

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I just checked mine, and although they don't work when someone calls, if I use root explored or astro to click on any of the ringtones that I placed in memory, they play fine. Mine are mp3's. Sounds like you've got something else going on with yours. Try a reboot?

I can play them using root explorer they just won't work as ringtones once they are moved to the phone... That is why I tried converting them to ogg files.

I noticed that for me my phone had to be on for more than 5 days before this problem happened and that rebooting the phone solved the problem. So for right now I am just rebooting my phone every couple of days to avoid the problem.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This is so difficult to troubleshoot due to it's extreme inconsistency. From a fresh reboot, I had my son call me and got the default ringtone, then 2 seconds later, he called a gain and I got the custom ringtone, then had my wife call and got the default ringtone, then made a call from my home phone and got that numbers custom ringtone, then immediately called myself back and got the default ringtone, then dialed 3 more times from the home phone and got the default ringtone. I did all of this in a 5 minute time span.

Can't figure anything out.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Try to play a music mp3 when it happens. You will probably get the message of not being able to play the file format. I believe it has to do with froyo. Motorola has said a fix is coming.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
You must reboot after moving ringtones to the system folder.
the file format doesnt matter. I've used mp3, ogg, even midi works. Since the audio crash bug affects every format other than ogg, you can get better reliability if you reencode them to ogg. My default one is ogg, my notifications are still midi.

Reboot is necessary probably because android isn't expecting system files being added while running.
If you don't reboot some may show up in the list and may or may not work. If you assign custom tones before rebooting you will need to reassign them back to stock then to back to custom to make them stable. Custom ringtones should be at the bottom of the list.

[tapatalk - droidx]

Reactions: WAldenIV

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Or if you don't want to reboot you can unmount and then remount your SD card - the system will scan your card again and find the new ringtones.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue for a while as well (on 2.1 and 2.2) so it's not a Froyo issue. Hopefully we get a reliable fix for it soon. I'm rooted so I may try moving them to system files and see if I have any luck with that...

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
For those going 5 day's before getting mixed ringtones enjoy it because it will get worse. I'm down to 2 days before having to do a reboot. We have been considering moving the ringtones to the phone from the SD card. Will be interested to see how this is working for you guys. Question I have is when you move the tone to the phone can we move them back to the SD card in case we have to send the phone in.

Motorola has said they think they know the problem, would be nice if they would release the fix to Verizon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
For those going 5 day's before getting mixed ringtones enjoy it because it will get worse. I'm down to 2 days before having to do a reboot. We have been considering moving the ringtones to the phone from the SD card. Will be interested to see how this is working for you guys. Question I have is when you move the tone to the phone can we move them back to the SD card in case we have to send the phone in.

Motorola has said they think they know the problem, would be nice if they would release the fix to Verizon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes, with Root Explorer you can move them back-and-forth between the internal memory and the SD card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci