Droid X New Owner problems

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I've tried searching for this stuff but can't seem to find the answers.
I just bought my DX on Sunday, and while I really like using it, I can't keep this thing charged.
I had a Blackberry Tour before, and it was a rarity if I didn't have 75% charge at the end of the day.
I've removed the news, weather, social feeds, and picture frame thing from my home screens. When I look at the running programs, I still see news, social feeds weather, photowidget running.
I leave the gps off at all times except when I use Google maps which has been rare. I've never even once turned on bluetooth, wifi, or hotspot.
I use it for about 20 mins daily to look at Google reader in the browser. I hardly ever talk more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time.
I have 2 gmail accounts, a yahoo account, hotmail, and my work email, twitter, facebook, and photobucket. Email delivery is set to push, and fetch is every 4 hours.
I have max battery saver on.
It seems like it's at 90% almost as soon as it's off the charger, 60% or 70% almost as soon as I've done anything with it, and I'm putting it back on the charger probably twice per day.
What am I doing wrong?
I really like using the phone, but I'm afraid to because I need it to stay charged. I really don't want to go back to my Blackberry, but there are days at work I won't be able to put it on the charger and I have to have a phone.

CarrierUnlock

Wireless Unlocking
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
When you say email delivery is set to push and fetch 4 hours which accounts are which because if you have push on the fetch schedule does not matter. You may want to try and use the fetch schedule on your least used accounts.

Also what do you have your screen timeout set to?

I also came from BlackBerry but you can not really compare the two devices when it comes to battery life. The Droid X's screen which accounts for most of the battery drain on devices is huge in comparison.
It also has a lot more things running in the background.

Just removing those widgets will help but stock this phone has so many things running in the background. Go to Settings>Applications>Running Services you will see lots of them.

To get the most out of the X you may want to look into rooting and using Titanium Backup to freeze the bloatware and unnecessary processes. You can always unroot, and still can stay stock.

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What type of wallpaper do you have? A darker wallpaper will use less battery than a light one. Also, I would suggest NOT using the built in Blur Twitter or Facebook accounts. Use the official Facebook app from the market and any number of market twitter clients. They tend to use far less battery than the blur crap.

Finally, I highly recommend purchasing the extended battery. It's the battery that should have come with the DX. I had to charge up mid afternoon to get through the day with the stock battery, but with the extended battery I wake up at 6, have moderate to heavy usage all day with GPS and WiFi always on and the screen on auto, and I usually go to bed at 11 pm with about 20% left.

Also, when you are done using your phone, don't wait for the screen timeout. Turn off your screen on your own.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have pushed turned on and fetch set to 4 hours. In the menu it says if push is turned off or not available, it will revert to the fetch schedule. I'm pretty sure my work email doesn't offer push, but yahoo and hotmail might. I figured push would use less battery because it would only be doing something when there's a message, not constantly at pre-set intervals. Now that is based on my blackberry experience. On a BB, the BIS or BES server checks for the mail, not the phone, then pushes it to the phone when there's a message. Is this not how Android works? Will my yahoo and hotmail push? And I can't find any place to adjust this setting per account, I think it's settings for all the ones that show up as email, which would be all three.
I have the Facebook and twitter apps, and also have them under the "my accounts", which is also where I entered the 3 non-gmail accounts. The only real widget I have running is the calendar, which I wouldn't think would use much of any juice.
Also, when I go to battery manager, the top listing is Android OS and it shows it as using 81% of the battery. What does this mean?
The remainders are display at 10%, android system at 4%, com.motorola.home at 3%, phone idle at 2%, voice calls at 2%, and cell standby at 2%.
The phone came off the charger at 100% at 5:30, sat in my car until about 9pm, and I've been checking things on it intermittently since probably a little after that, and I'm down to 40%.

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
As far as the wallpaper, I was using a Dallas Cowboys one I got from the market, that was a simple blue and gray background with a star in the middle. I was worried somehow that could be it, so I'm now on a stock wallpaper, the one that looks like gray paint strokes.
The Cowboys wallpaper shows up as a program under apps, but I don't ever see it listed as running, so I doubted that would be the cause but thought I need to try everything.
I only have 3 homescreens that have anything on them. The google search bar/voice search, calendar widget, the 4 switch widgets(wif-fi, gps, bluetooth, mobile hotspot), and everything else is just app shortcut icons.
When I got this I thought it was great and liked all the neat widgets feeding you stuff, but right now that looks like I can't use any of them. If I have to keep stripping this thing down to nothing, I might as well go back to the Blackberry. It might not be able to some things that this does, but I could use practically everything it was capable of and if I forgot to charge it one night, no big deal.
I left gps on at all times on the BB Tour, had weatherberry(or berryweather?) updating every few hours, had push facebook notifications coming in to my global inbox along with the 2 gmail accounts, yahoo, hotmail, work, and 1 other POP.

Last edited:

CarrierUnlock

Wireless Unlocking
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I believe you can change it per account just go to email then open an account where you see your inbox then menu and settings.

I have always seen display at the top android os should not be there. Download spare parts from the market after unplugging your device select battery usage in spare parts and hit the standby button on top of the x leave it dark for few seconds then unlock and make sure running is less than 100%.

Also check out the other battery usages like partial wake after a days usage and see what's eating your battery.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've tried searching for this stuff but can't seem to find the answers.
I just bought my DX on Sunday, and while I really like using it, I can't keep this thing charged.
I had a Blackberry Tour before, and it was a rarity if I didn't have 75% charge at the end of the day.
I've removed the news, weather, social feeds, and picture frame thing from my home screens. When I look at the running programs, I still see news, social feeds weather, photowidget running.
I leave the gps off at all times except when I use Google maps which has been rare. I've never even once turned on bluetooth, wifi, or hotspot.
I use it for about 20 mins daily to look at Google reader in the browser. I hardly ever talk more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time.
I have 2 gmail accounts, a yahoo account, hotmail, and my work email, twitter, facebook, and photobucket. Email delivery is set to push, and fetch is every 4 hours.
I have max battery saver on.
It seems like it's at 90% almost as soon as it's off the charger, 60% or 70% almost as soon as I've done anything with it, and I'm putting it back on the charger probably twice per day.
What am I doing wrong?
I really like using the phone, but I'm afraid to because I need it to stay charged. I really don't want to go back to my Blackberry, but there are days at work I won't be able to put it on the charger and I have to have a phone.
you are OK. It takes at least seven cycles to optimize the battery charging wise (you are half there) remember to FULLY charge and drain the battery a few times. Sunday? Give it a few more cycles. the X does read 90 fast, but 30 last hours. It is relative. Coming from a tour, you will use this phone exponentially more.......it is that good.

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
you are OK. It takes at least seven cycles to optimize the battery charging wise (you are half there) remember to FULLY charge and drain the battery a few times. Sunday? Give it a few more cycles. the X does read 90 fast, but 30 last hours. It is relative. Coming from a tour, you will use this phone exponentially more.......it is that good.

I hope you're right. I want to use this exponentially more than the Tour, but right now I can't use it nearly as much.

Also, I have the Verizon 2-piece holster-case, can I get much more of a battery while still using that case?

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe you can change it per account just go to email then open an account where you see your inbox then menu and settings.

I have always seen display at the top android os should not be there. Download spare parts from the market after unplugging your device select battery usage in spare parts and hit the standby button on top of the x leave it dark for few seconds then unlock and make sure running is less than 100%.

Also check out the other battery usages like partial wake after a days usage and see what's eating your battery.

When I set it to fetch/4 hours, I did it by hitting menu then settings while in the inbox for my work account. When I go to settings from any other account mailbox, the settings are now the same. I think it only allows me to change it based on all accounts classed as email.

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The display should be takeing the most battery life. The fact that it is the OS is concerning and not typical. Besides widgets what are all of the apps that you have installed?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
There are many articles out there for optimizing battery life...I would advise reading those..just google them and you will be directed. If the battery continues to be this bad for you exchange it or the device ...the biggest use of battery on most phones reads display not operating system...your wallpaper should be fine with cowboys motif...live wallpapers however will suck the life outta battery...If you do not get better life after reading article and a few more recharges return before 30 days and insist on anew phone with new battery...Remember that you are new to the phone and just looking at it more than usual because IT IS AWESOME LOL...your main concern however would be that the system is using too much battery...GET RID OF TASK KILLER if you have one this causes system to have to reactivate any app that another app might rely on for info keeping the system constantly working...Good luck and don't settle for a phone that is not working before your 30 days is up :) If all else fails you could try a FACTORY RESET...sometime it is a little more work because you have to set everything up from clean start...but may clear out some glitch that is causing issues.

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I ran it completely dead from the factory the day I got it, then again last night. It seems to be getting better today. As far as programs, I have the vzw star wars app, kik, yahoo mail, facebook, twitter, google street view, earth, and sky. I have rarely used any of them. Also, as far as blur stuff, which apps are blur? Is the my accounts part of blur?

Gebo#AC

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
You just wait til you charge it overnight a week or so. I always turn my X off when going to bed and hook it to the wall charger. Give it a few cycles and you will be amazed...

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
First off, thanks everyone for all the help. Yesterday I ran it all the way down again and charged it up. It came off the charger at 8am with no use exept one unanswered call until 12:30 and it's at 60% and showing android os at 66% of the usage. Is this normal? I noticed as I would use it yesterday, eventually the screen would become the top user, but as soon as I stopped android os would regain that spot. Is there any way to tell specifically what is burning up the battery?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i would bet it is from the blur software. if your phone is pulling down facebook and twitter updates all day, it is going to run th battery down. using the different battery profiles in the battery manager is the best way to keep this in check, or dont use the blur facebook and twitter account tool; instead use the facebook and twitter apps, or a messaging widget like pure messenger widget that can be configured to pull updates at timed intervals instead of getting updates pushed to it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital