Has anyone left a Pre Plus or Pixi Plus dor a Droid X and are you happy? And a few ?s

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. Im new here and new to the Droid world. I just ordered a used Droid X on Ebay and am wondering if Im going to love it or hate it. Im coming from a Pixi Plus (Verizon) and before that had the Pre. Ill say I loved the Pre but hated the slider which is why I went to the Pixi. The Pixi just keeps locking up and is so slow for my needs. Literally took me 6 tries to answer a very important phone call from my vet about my dog yesterday before it finally unlocked and let me call him back. I watched some videos on youtube last night and Im really excited. Seems like its a great device. I do have a few questions though if everyone doesnt mind. The most important things to me are email, IM and oddly enough The Weather Channel lol. For email I have a metrocast account (my internet carrier) and my husband has a yahoo account. I saw yahoo on the videos I watches so that shouldnt be a problem but how is it with odd pop accounts like metrocast? For IM I didnt see any yahoo or AIM in the videos. Will I be able to get those and get constant connected notifications when I get a new IM? Perhaps Mundu IM which I had on a BB once? I dont get tons of IM's but my best friend uses AIM and my cousin uses yahoo so I like to have them connected. The Weather Channel yeah I know its weird but I like to know the weather and Ive hated every other weather app Ive ever tried. Is there one available and how is it? Ive been searching android apps but since I dont really know how to tell what is available with the Droid X its hard to know what I can and cannot have. Last question is updates. The Pre/Pixi updates are horrible to wait for. We think they are coming and then they dont and then one carrier gets them months and months ahead of other carriers and the Pre gets them first and the Pixi waits and so on. Ive also heard that the Droid X will be phased out of updates. How true is this and how will it effect my phone as far as operation and also staying up to date on the latest apps? I know this is a lot and most likely a jumbled mess (typing quickly while I have a very short break!) but any info/advice would be great. Thanks.

Melissa

DarkS3ct0r

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I also switched from a Sprint Pre to a Droid X and it is by far a ton better. No more slider, big and easy to use.
I'm not sure about email
I use Gmail and it setup fine and works great.
As far as IM there are AIM and Yahoo! Messengers in the android market.
And The Weather Channel is available in the market. And its just about the same just different UI.
And as far as updates id say there's hype for updates.
There's been rumors about the Droid X getting a small 0.0.1 update.
And the big daddy is Gingerbread (2.3), and Honeycomb(3.0).
Haven't read much about them and what's in store but I'm sure someone can fill you in. I'm still somewhat new to Android.

DroidEye22

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to be that guy but I don't think the Droid X will get anything higher than Gingerbread, Honeycomb would be a big surprise for me, I already have adobe flash what else do I need?

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Its going to be so weird switching from WebOS. I had a launch day Pre on Sprint and kept that until I switched to Verizon and decided to give the Pixi Plus a shot since I hated the Pre slider. WebOS is an amazing thing and I know there are many things about it that I will miss and eventually I may go back (Im not selling off my Pixi Plus just yet!) but watching the videos on youtube really has me excited about the Droid X. Not nearly as excited as I was about the Pre 2 that is coming soon.

Droideye - I agree 100%. If I have everything I need on the phone Im not too worried about updates. They arent life changing but its always nice to get that little something extra Ill admit. Really though as long as the phone does everything I want it to do and does it well Im good!

Mrspock - Ill check into trillian. Didnt even know they made a version for phones. I used it several years ago on the comp and loved it. I also have had Mundu and IM+ and Agile Msgr on several BB and Palm phones so hopefully between all of those and all of the ones I dont even know about yet Ill find something good.

Now if only I could get the phone in my hands! The guy is supposed to be shipping Monday and says the ESN is clear (God I hope so) so with any luck by weeks end Ill be an official Droid user :D

Melissa

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Melissa, for your e-mail account, since it is an "odd pop account" you can set up a gmail account and add other POP3 accounts to it and then sync that up with your DX. You may also be able to directly import your ISP account into the phone, with the generic e-mail account feature. It all depends on your ISP to be honest.

friguy3#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Its not even close. I loved my pre+ but yesterday i was messing around with it (after I let me 1 1/2 year old son have it so he could use pandora on wifi) and its slow, small and just not what I remember! Android is 10 million times better and I was a palm supporter.

shattuck

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I got a droid x after having a pre plus for about a year.

I really miss the true multitasking and ease of switching between apps. Also loved the patch community.

Other than that, i dont miss much, I am thrilled with the droid x.

There really is no comparison between the application community on android and palm/hp. The devs are more active and the selection of apps is rediculous compared to palm. When on palm I seemed to talk myself into believing that I did not need all those apps. But it really is nice. And the ease of access to information via widgets is really what sets this os apart.

I really don't miss the miserable battery life of the pre. It largest weak spot in my opinion.

And at first I thought the size of the phone would bother me, now I can't imagine having a smaller screen.

You'll love it

rmassey911#AC

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree on screen real estate and speed... WebOS is gonna be hard to beat as a UI, but my X does everything I need it to do speedily, and has updateable medical apps (epocrates) that aren't available w/ the Pre Plus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze