Am I expecting too much coming from a Blackberry?

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried asking this question in another thread, but haven't gotten any answers. I may have a faulty Droid X, which I'm trying to determine, but before I drive myself crazy trying to find out, I need to know if what I want is even realistic.
I've tried searching through tons of threads before and after my purchase, but I can't seem to find out.
I recently came from a BB Tour(which I still have, if I need to go back to). I had 1 gmail account, 1 business email hosted on gmail, 1 yahoo, 1 hotmail, and my work email all set up to push. I had the Facebook app which pushed messages and wall posts, synced to my calendar(a feature I really loved for not forgetting birthdays) but I didn't sync it to the contacts because I tried once, and it destroyed my battery(actually I just linked all the facebook friends who were already in my device address book, probably around 90 or so, when I unlinked it left the pictures though, which was cool). I had the Twitter app that pushed direct messages to my inbox. I always left gps on, and probably used it with google maps a half hour to an hour each day, probably messed around on the web 1-2 hours(mainly on google reader using the Google App plus the Reader App, which displayed through the browser) I probably talked anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours each day, maybe 2-5 texts, a couple pin messages, and received around 10-15 emails(I rarely replied, probably only even read half, deleted the rest). I had an alarm going off every morning in the dock, and probably a couple reminders going off each day.
It came off the charger every day by 8am, and I usually get off work at 6:30pm.
On the heaviest usage days, I'd usually have at least 50-60% battery left as I headed home, but it was probably more common that I'd have 80-90% left.
The one caveat to this is when I would upload or email pictures(especially when out of 3g areas), more than a couple and I'd be on the charger by mid day. But I didn't do it that often.
My last phone before the Tour was a Curve, before that a Motorola Q. I won't even get into the Q because that was a device not ready for market with a buggy version of a powerful but somewhat buggy OS. The one thing I missed most about Windows was the customizability, seemingly universal file compatibility, and the fact that it liked being tweaked. But I don't think I need to explain what I loved about Blackberry, it just did what BB's do, which is do a few core things better than anything else.
My reasons for going to Android were that the Tour GPS was buggy, often needing 20 min battery pulls to work, the tiny screen, and constantly scrolling left to right, up and down, just to read text.
I don't mind using separate inboxes, in fact I'm starting to prefer it, if I go back to BB, I will switch to separate ones. I don't use Twitter enough to care about instant direct message reception, I mainly just tweet stuff for work. I don't care about pictures for my contacts, but I would like my Facebook calendar to sync. I don't need constant updates on my facebook contacts(but it might be cool when I'm communicating with them via other means to see the updates). I don't mind using the GPS toggle widget to only run it when using Google maps, though I do miss location based searches. I would like push gmail and Yahoo(or near-push) because several of my still BB toting friends use emails like texts(and my wife with her Pre). I could get Hotmail once a day, and work emails once an hour.
But what I must have is a phone that has enough juice to make a call at the end of the day, without relying on a charger(heavy usage days excluded).
So to all you Droid X users, is this possible? I don't mind using third-party apps if necessary, but can this happen, or do I have the wrong phone?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i am able to get through my 8 hour work day with about 50-60% remaining on my battery on my x. i only have one gmail account and my facebook account linked to the blur interface. i only let the facebook account update while on a wi-fi connection (the only reason i use the built-in one is for contact integration). i use pure messenger widget for my FB/twitter updates, which pushes them to me every 15 minutes.

gps you can leave on, as gps should only actually run when an app need to use it.

masego

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have an Incredible, and my Gmail address receives emails near-instantly -- usually a few seconds before I actually get it on my computer. As for your other emails, I'm not sure, but I think Yahoo just came out with an improved Android app. You could also try downloading the most recent Gmail app from the market, just to make sure you're up to date. Syncing all those mailboxes could be destroying your battery. That said, it seems like from what I've heard, most Android phones have significantly worse battery life than the average BB device.

I came from a BB Bold, so I know how you feel. My biggest problem with the transition was actually managing my contacts -- I don't like having all my Gmail contacts in my main address book. However, I feel like overall I'm getting so much more use from this phone than my Bold for the same plan price that I think it's worth it overall.

I've played around with a few of the Verizon phones and I really do think the Incredible is still the best out there. It runs so much smoother than even the newer phones I've tried. If you're still in your first month and you think the problem is the DX, maybe try an Inc. with one of those Seidio extended-life batteries.

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
i am able to get through my 8 hour work day with about 50-60% remaining on my battery on my x. i only have one gmail account and my facebook account linked to the blur interface. i only let the facebook account update while on a wi-fi connection (the only reason i use the built-in one is for contact integration). i use pure messenger widget for my FB/twitter updates, which pushes them to me every 15 minutes.

gps you can leave on, as gps should only actually run when an app need to use it.

What is your daily usage like?

anon(3792)

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
If you want a phone with a big screen, that syncs with as many accounts as you do, you'll have to get used to the battery life issues that come along with it. There is no Android, iOS, or even webOS device that has better battery life than the X. They make an extended battery which might make sense for you if you absolutely have to get through an entire day. Otherwise, the price of admission for using these phones is lots of chargers. The only phones with stellar battery life are flip phones, feature phones and Blackberries with their tiny screens.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
What is your daily usage like?

moderate. couple calls, some web browsing, listen to a lot of podcasts generally.

another thing that i forgot to mention that gets overlooked often is connect your phone to a wi-fi connection whenever available. for example, i always am on wi-fi when at home. being on a wi-fi connection is much easier on the battery than 3g

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
OP...You started off saying that you asked these questions in another thread that didn't get answered. I would suggest that you spend a bit more time consolidating your question, or even breaking them up into a few different questions in different threads. This is just my opinion, but I think that most people find it intimidating to see if they might be able to help you out, and after clicking on your thread, they find a book worth of info/questions.

Now, to your issues. You have to understand that the low level architecture of a RIM device is built around making the battery last as long as possible. This is why, even on OS 6, RIM sucks in regards to speed of application execution, speed of web browsing and even the number of apps that are available. RIM's primary business comes from large corporations buying 10's of thousands of phones at a time. The CEO's of those corps aren't concerned with their employees being able to play games or have fun on their phones, and they don't want their people out in the field to have the battery die at 4PM. These devices will never be speed demons or run the apps that a droid or iphone does.

As to making your own battery last longer, get the verizon extended battery. If you're still not making through the day (that would shock me), you could consider rooting the device and then installing SetCPU. It lets you automatically slow your processor down to 300 mhz whenever the screen is off. Running that set up with the extended battery on my phone, I go to bed around midnight with 50% to 60% battery left after a very full day of usage. I do switch to wifi at home and office (check out Y5-Battery Saver). If your often in an area with poor 3G reception, you're going to have trouble no matter what you do...1X is a battery killer.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Let me add on more thing...As a dedicated BB user for many years I can say that the switch to the android platform in general, and the Droid X device in particular, is well worth the effort in getting comfortable with a new type of operating system. There is no way I could go back to BB at this point. Aside from the big issues of apps, options, screen size and speed, there are so many little things that are so far superior to BB. It's like comparing a lighter to rubbing 2 sticks together.

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. It turns out I had a bad Droid X. I took it back and the Verizon store couldn't get it to work right either. They put in a fully charged battery and it showed only 20%. So far tonight I've only used 10% of my battery doing far more than I've done in an entire day. So I think I'll be ok. I do have to say though that if RIM would build a device with equivalent specs, android os, and the blackberry backend(BIS), I think it might be the perfect phone. But until then, I think the Droid X might be as good for me as it gets.