is it possible to disable the camera button?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I seem to accidentally launch the camera through out the day.

Would love to be able to turn that button off.

This is strange to hear that you are having this happen because the camera button has to be held for a few seconds before the camera is triggered and also when device is locked the camera button should be inactive. Do you have the camera link on your desktop main page because i think its a better chance that the device unlocks and the camera may be triggering.

shattuck

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
They real problem is where I place it in my car while driving. The slot in my center console is just tight enough that it engages the camera.

squareroottwo

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Look for the "NoCam" application in the Android Marketplace. I've used the app for a little bit and it seems to work, although it doesn't seem to disable the camera button when you're in the default camera app for Motorola Droid.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You could also try one of many cases that are very thin, but leave the camera button recessed so that only a finger can press it.

fftoad

May 16, 2011
Visit site
You can try Tasker. Tasker will allow you to reassign the camera button or create a rule where you need to do something else to enable the camera button. Great program that lets you automate almost anything.

thiagomdo

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Here's what worked for me (Motorola Razr i / Android 4.1.2):

1. Root is required
2. Install Root Browser
3. Open the Root Browser and go to the folder /system/usr/keylayout/
4. Open, one by one, all ".kl" files with the Root Browser editor and place a hash symbol (#) at the start of the lines where the word "CAMERA" appears. Example: the text "key 212 CAMERA" becomes "#key 212 CAMERA".
5. Restart your device

I hope it works for you.

William Stringer

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I had to thank thiagomdo.

This helped! A lot of work to disable the camera button, but I really hated this button, especially since I feared it would constantly be depressed in the case I purchased.

Here's what worked for me (Motorola Razr i / Android 4.1.2):

1. Root is required
2. Install Root Browser
3. Open the Root Browser and go to the folder /system/usr/keylayout/
4. Open, one by one, all ".kl" files with the Root Browser editor and place a hash symbol (#) at the start of the lines where the word "CAMERA" appears. Example: the text "key 212 CAMERA" becomes "#key 212 CAMERA".
5. Restart your device

I hope it works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL