ringtone issue

phreddyl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi-
Wondering if anyone else has this issue but my custom ringtones seem to become "unknown" and stop playing- so it reverts to just a default ringtone until I power off and power back on and then it recognizes the tone again. I am not running any custom roms or themes- I am not rooted- just the regular X with the Froyo OS. Its not a major deal but it is getting frustrated. There are days that I go with no issue and then today it happened twice.
thanks in Advance

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I saw this on Motorola user forum it was in a list of confirmed bugs posted by motorola :

18. custom ringtones work fine until at some unknown time the custom ringtone does not ring, the default ringtone rings. the contact setting still shows my custom ringtone. A reboot of the phone corrects the problem for a random amount of time.
• This is the known but as-yet unsolved issue where any on-device media -- and some types from Web -- suddenly stop working until after a reboot. On Droid 2 and X. We are working on it

... it is close to what you are experiencing ,didnt know if you saw that or not .

Last edited:
Reactions: phreddyl

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah for a phone motorola did not want to be rooted doesn't make any sense and is unacceptable.This phone is no more then a modern moto Q lol :p

Sent Using TaPaTalk

phreddyl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
yeah its just so weird cause its random- I could go days without an issue and then it crops up. Initially it was with my main ring tone but now it seems to happen periodically with the ones designated for individual people. Do you have the link to the user forum known issues? I looked but for whatever reason (probably impatience) gave up.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
yeah its just so weird cause its random- I could go days without an issue and then it crops up. Initially it was with my main ring tone but now it seems to happen periodically with the ones designated for individual people. Do you have the link to the user forum known issues? I looked but for whatever reason (probably impatience) gave up.

here it is the link to the dx section , the known issues are posted in here forgot exactly which link it was

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/google-android/droidx:cool:

this isnt the list I found before but a list close to what I saw its on the link below

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/38323

Last edited:
Reactions: phreddyl

Jmeiii

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had a similar issue recently. I have an app that has some ringtones in it. I set one of them as my default. It worked for months. Then, all of a sudden, after a recharge and powering on, the phone was set to a default ringtone. I tried uninstalling that app and tried others as well. I also noticed that all of the ringtones in my phone were listed twice. Weird that it all of this happened so suddenly. Is this a bug as well and has anybody had these things happen to them? :confused:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had a similar issue recently. I have an app that has some ringtones in it. I set one of them as my default. It worked for months. Then, all of a sudden, after a recharge and powering on, the phone was set to a default ringtone. I tried uninstalling that app and tried others as well. I also noticed that all of the ringtones in my phone were listed twice. Weird that it all of this happened so suddenly. Is this a bug as well and has anybody had these things happen to them? :confused:

Is it possible that you have them in more than one folder? Like /ringtones and /notifications?
Ringtones will be loaded from any folder named ringtones anywhere on the SDCard regardless of depth and parent folders. So, for example, I can have /Media/Audio/Ringtones, another /Ringtones, and, yet another /SomeFolder/ Ringtones. Any mp3 file living in those three paths (in this example) will be available for ringtones. Did you backup your ringtones folder somewhere on your SD card? I would look on your SD card and check any folders/music app folders that might have saved them twice.

Also, look in the folder on the sd card /media/ringtone. Once in that folder look and see if there are stock ringtones in that folder... if so delete them because the stock ringtones should be in the root of the phone not the sd card.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes I've seen that before. The only thing that made the duplicate ringtones go away was after resolving a totally unrelated issue (my gallery would not open). In order to resolve the gallery problem, I cleared both the cache & data from the Media Storage and Media Container Service. After rebooting, the phone rebuilt it's databases of media (pics, ringtones, etc.), and thus the duplicates were gone.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I should mention that I did have some ringtones in multiple folders, but even after deleting the duplicate ringtones, that did not erase them from the database. The only thing that cleared that up for me was the procedure I described above. You can find Media Storage & Media Container Service in Menu > Applications > Manage applications > All.
I also copied my ringtones to the location that CyberWarrior mentioned before performing the procedure above.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Set up your SD card like this and your phone should not have any problems finding where to look. You will need to create new folders on the SD card for this:
SD card>Media>
Ringtones
Music
Notifications
Alarms
Videos
Movies
Pictures
And place the files to their correct folders. The order of the list does not matter.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I moved my ringtones over to the internal memory because I found that sometimes the SD card was not yet mounted as the phone was booting, causing my startup sound not to be played (it just played the default). Also sometimes my phone ringtone was set back to the default. I found that highly annoying so I just moved them all over. lol It works fine now! :)

Jmeiii

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I did flash a rom before and restored to stock with a backup. I suppose that could have caused it. I just decided to do a simple battery pull and it seems ok now. Wasn't a huge deal, just weird. Thanks.

Tone_Capone

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I had an issue where instead of playing the correct custom ringtone for the contact who was calling the previous caller ringtone would play... pretty annoying.

After i rooted the phone and flashed Liberty the issue has not reoccured. Maybe its fixed.... i dunno

Jmeiii

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue where instead of playing the correct custom ringtone for the contact who was calling the previous caller ringtone would play... pretty annoying.

After i rooted the phone and flashed Liberty the issue has not reoccured. Maybe its fixed.... i dunno

That seems to be all that it is. Annoying. It was driving me bat-sh*t crazy. It did seem to start after I flashed back to stock from Liberty. A coincidence I'm sure. I'm now about a week out from pulling the battery. Still good.:cool: