Thank you motorola

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I would like to thank motorola for making the droid x as bad as the storm 2, maybe even worse.

I loved this phone on 2.1. Updated to the 2.2 and not so much anymore. The ringtone problem is a major pain. Yesterday I had to reset my phone 4 times because the ringtones stopped working. I dont ever recall having to reset my storm 2 4 times in one day.

This is a 2.2 issue, has nothing to do with apps, motorola knows about the problem, but seem to think taking their time to get a update out to fix the problem is ok.

Yesterday, I discovered after the ringtone/notification stops working, I go into settings, sd card, select unmount sd card, then select mount sd card fixes the problem.

I have 3 droid x's on my account, 2 have this ringtone issue, 1 does not. The one that does not have the problem is still on 2.1. The one benefit that blackberry has over android is that with blackberry, you could at least go back to the older version. With motorola, they made it so you can not, and from what I have read, if you try to go back to 2.1, there is a high chance of bricking your phone.

So in closing I would like to thank motorola for ruining the phone with 2.2. I would give anything to go back to 2.1. And for the ones that 2.2 is working great for you, I am jealous. I wish I was in the same boat.

I have read that there is a update coming for the droid x, but I am worried that it will be a verizon update to add more bloatware, and not from motorola to fix what they screwed up.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean and agree on 2.1 there was not any major issues but on 2.2 changed all that , that was my experience too, and all confirmed that's the "key"word

Sent Using TaPaTalk

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I have ZERO issues with my droidx. Why are you running ring tones from your SD card? Im just guessing you are from the description of your problem.

I would try a factory reset as described in the sticky above.

I love my X and its 99999 times better thaan my old Storm.

Here is the link:
http://m.forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=36979

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
2.2 never gave me that issue, or any of these other issues coming out. My phone ran much better than 2.1.

To put this update on par with the Storm-line of phones is ridiculous

drose0

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I purchased my DX after FroYo was already out but I can say that I've had very little issues with it. I got the Storm 1 the day it came out and even when it is turned off the DX runs circles around the Storm. This phone is fantastic.. but I guess individual results may vary.

Dendrite

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I would try a factory reset as described in the sticky above.

For me, a factory reset alone helped but didn't completely eliminate the post-update issues I had with my DX. But... a factory reset followed by reformatting the SD card did the trick for me. All of the problems I experienced following the 2.2 update disappeared and my X has been functioning perfectly ever since.

What have you got to loose OP? Give a reset/reformat a try-

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you google motorola dx user forum you will find a list of all the confirmed issues.Using tapatalk and its not as,easy to post a,link that I know how to.

I used to like the dx even tho it had minor issues with as every phone will,,, there is no One Perfect Phone for all.

My complaint is that these are all known issues and while it may not affect all it does affect enough that motorla has confirmef it.

We all paid for these phones if you have no issues I wish you continued good luck n hope it stays all good for y'all

For those with issues such as me I hope the update is soon released and fixes it

Sent Using TaPaTalk

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Try a custom ROM. I'm running ApeX, which is based on original Android source, and I've had far fewer problems than I had with Blur.

Manufacturers should just stick to adding widgets, keyboards, and apps, and leave the core OS alone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Droid 2 user here. Just wanted to say that I too have run into the problem of ringtones resetting themselves randomly. Hopefully, this is fixed in Gingerbread.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just got my DX in a trade for my Inc, can you explain more of what the issue is?

The ringtone problem is the phone will out of the blue change your ringtone, or not see it and not ring at all. You dont know it happened untill you notice you missed emails, text messages or phone calls. You go into settings, ringtones and check it out and it says unknow ringtone. A reset is what it takes to fix it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
2.2 never gave me that issue, or any of these other issues coming out. My phone ran much better than 2.1.

To put this update on par with the Storm-line of phones is ridiculous

When a person has to reset their phone 4 times in one day, one time 2 hours apart, sorry to say in my opinion puts it in the storm category.

unseenme#WN

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
DX worse than the S2 based on a ringtone problem? Wow. Just...wow. Sorry, not trying to flame you, but that's just plain hella drastic. I agree the DX doesn't handle sdcards as well as other devices but I think that's another Blur issue. Since I loaded rubixFocused 1.8.6 ROM it reads the card fine now. May wanna try a Blurless ROM and see how much Blur holds this phone back from being what it can really be!

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
For me, a factory reset alone helped but didn't completely eliminate the post-update issues I had with my DX. But... a factory reset followed by reformatting the SD card did the trick for me. All of the problems I experienced following the 2.2 update disappeared and my X has been functioning perfectly ever since.

What have you got to loose OP? Give a reset/reformat a try-

You have to follow the instructions in the sticky.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Don't be affraid of the factory reset. If you have downloaded your applications from the Android Market, they ALL will come back with out having to down load them again. However, you will have to re-do any settings in those. A small amount of work now may pay off bit time in the end.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The OP is 100% correct. Motorola screwed the pooch on this 2.2 release. 2.1 on this phone was wonderful, it really was. But Froyo has basically brought this amazing phone to its knees. I despise Motorola for what they have done with this release.

Think about it guys, Moto and VZW released the update on the LAST DAY OF SUMMER. They weren't planning on that for the sheer sake of timing. VZW and Moto said in July that the X would receive Froyo in late summer. Obviously they ran into issues but didn't want to release the update after summer ended so they rushed it and released it with the ****ty bugs in this build of 2.2. There is no other explanation. A ****ty build was released so they wouldn't have to deal with angry customers saying it was past "late summer".

Motorola has screwed this up badly and if they provided a fix for it in, say, a few weeks, then fine. But they haven't.

My phone has these bugs:
Crashes when using the stock media player
The camera/camcorder app will decide not to launch and just crash.
The phone will dial and no audio will be heard, even though the call still goes through. Only a reboot fixes this.
Random freezes.
Custom ringtones do not work. It defaults to some random one.
The effing lock screen lags, for God's sake.
Exchange delays/issues.
Drops to 1X more than usual.
Text messaging timestamp issue. (Thank God for Handcent)
Wifi instability (That's been since 2.1)
The gallery will randomly not show photos recently taken.
Where is the threaded call log that is in 2.2 devices?! (Google it)
Battery Manager FC errors

The list goes on! I, personally, have experienced all of these. I am sure there are others that I do not have. Motorola and Verizon have ****ed up royally. I do not think I will buy a Motorola device again. I am staying away from Samsung because they're just as bad as Motorola with updating. I have never liked HTC but if they release something sturdy like the Nexus One for Verizon, then I'll look into it. Hell, I may even look into that 4G LG phone coming out in February.

In conclusion...**** you, Motorola...and the Blur-horse you rode in on.

PS: I owned a Storm1, Storm2, Tour, Bold, etc and they were pretty ****ty, too.

PPS: I did the supposed "real factory wipe" three times and no dice.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
.....but why should you have to root to have a fully functional phone.
In fact motorola really prefers people not to root that's why the Lock thing was on it.

And rooting is altering the OS so its not the way motorola designed it so when suggesting root your kinda going against motorola as well ;)

Sent Using TaPaTalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007