mp3 to ringtone question

RTaylor692

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I have looked and I am sorry if I missed it, but I am trying to set an mp3 file as a ringtone on my Droid X. I was trying to do this without connecting the phone to the pc. I downloaded file manager and I am able to see the sd card and the system ringtone file, but when I try to paste the mp3 to the system ringtone file, it displays a message that says insufficient permission. Is this because I am not on the pc or is there something I am missing.

Thank you for your help.

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I believe that you have the option when setting a ringtone of using "system" tones or "music". Then you just choose music and find it. This is, of course, assuming that you have the file in your music folder.
Also, you can try one of the free ringtone editor apps, like ringdroid or ringtone editor, and after you cut it up (or don't), it will ask if you want it to be the default ringtone.
Hope this helps. (unless I misunderstood the question)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
This will be a bit tedious, but should work.

1. set up a folder in the root of your SD card called media
2 set up a folder in your media folder called audio
3 set up 3 folders in your audio folder, one named alarms, one named notifications, one named ringtones.

Drop your mp3 into the ringtones subfolder and it should show up in the list with the default ringers. Audio clips dropped in your notifications folder will show up in the default notifications lists, and alarms for default alarms. You can do this all within the Files app that comes stock with the phone. Hope that helps.

hodie63

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
RE: Corey

Corey: how do you add a file to the root of the sd card ? is this done from the phone or through the media manager software. This is driving me freakin nuts. i want to have different music for each contact not a default ringtone. i am used to bb. i just drag it into the folder and it's there. this android os is not user friendly at all.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Corey: how do you add a file to the root of the sd card ? is this done from the phone or through the media manager software. This is driving me freakin nuts. i want to have different music for each contact not a default ringtone. i am used to bb. i just drag it into the folder and it's there. this android os is not user friendly at all.

Adding a file? What's the source of the file? If it's already on your phone, chances are it's already on your sd card somewhere. If it's on your computer, the easiest way is to hook up the phone to the computer, set the phone to Mass Storage mode, and drag and drop. No media manager or any other software needed.

To set a ringtone for your contacts:

Go to the contact
Hit the Menu Button > Edit
Scroll down to Additional Options and tap the arrow on the right side
Scroll down to Call Handling and you should see Ringtone
Choose Ringtone
Save

If you're looking for your custom ringtone, you'll have to add it to the media>audio>ringtones folder for it to show up in the pop up menu.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Now with picture goodness!

picsay-1291091137.jpg

Connect your X to your computer.

picsay-1291091194.jpg

Drag down the notification window and tap on the USB Connection manager.

picsay-1291091239.jpg

Select USB Mass Storage and then click OK.

picsay-1291091361.jpg

Somewhere on your computer an image similar to this will pop up. On Ubuntu it will be on the desktop (as illustrated here). On Windows, it should show up in My Computer. On a Mac, also on the desktop. Double click on it and it will take you to your microSD card. What pops up will be the "root" folder...

picsay-1291091438.jpg

... which will look similar to this. Here is where you create a media folder...

picsay-1291091514.jpg

... and in this media folder an audio folder...

picsay-1291091666.jpg

... and in the audio folder an alarms, notifications, and ringtones folder. Drop the ringtones into the ringtone folder and they'll show up on the ringtone pop up throughout the phone.

That help?

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Adding a ringtone to a specific contact:

picsay-1291092660.jpg

Go to the contact, hit Menu and select Edit.

picsay-1291092721.jpg

Scroll to the bottom and tap the arrow for Additional Info.

picsay-1291092776.jpg

Scroll down to Call Handling and Ringtone and tap the arrow again.

picsay-1291092822.jpg

Custom ringtones! Yaaaaaaaay! Remember to hit save when you're done.

Reactions: epiphone_74

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and plug in the X to your computer via USB, open the X as a flash drive, open the Media folder > ringtones and drag/drop your music into that folder. THEN follow the advice as to activate a specific ringtone.

All these special apps just muddy the waters, ESPECIALLY Moto-Connect, which I refuse to install. This is the best way to transfer data and files between your X and your computer. Very simple, fast, and uncomplicated.

epiphone_74

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
fantastic this needs to be a sticky!!!!

nothing works better then pictures....

Big time props for you...

Rememeber if the answers help ALWAYS say thanks!!!

RTaylor692

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. It looks like connecting to the pc may be the answer I was looking for. I moving files using file manager app, but it didn't show up on the ringtone list in the phone. I will give this a try tonight and hopefully it will work.

THANK YOU ALL

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. It looks like connecting to the pc may be the answer I was looking for. I moving files using file manager app, but it didn't show up on the ringtone list in the phone. I will give this a try tonight and hopefully it will work.

THANK YOU ALL

It has to be in SD Card/Media/Audio/Ringtones and also sometimes the files dont show until you restart...

If you still have issues I suggest that you consider Ringo Lite from Ringo Lite - Ringtones Manager - Android app on AppBrain

screen
screen

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae