Hi, I currently have a Blackberry storm 1 and I"m looking to make good on my upgrade from verizon. I'm interested in the X, but don't want to shell out 200 dollars (I'm a HS Senior, so I don't have a lot of cash to throw around). I found this deal online, and it looks ok but I had never heard of the website before. Is it reliable?

DROID X by Motorola for Verizon Wireless - Best In Cell Phones

It's called cellstores.com or bestincellphones.com
    11-28-2010 07:03 PM
    Hi, I currently have a Blackberry storm 1 and I"m looking to make good on my upgrade from verizon. I'm interested in the X, but don't want to shell out 200 dollars (I'm a HS Senior, so I don't have a lot of cash to throw around). I found this deal online, and it looks ok but I had never heard of the website before. Is it reliable?

It appears to be a clean site with no phishing list or fraud activity, so at first glance the site seems legit but take that with a grain of salt because the old rule, you get what you pay for comes to mind... I stick with a reliable source but if you feel comfortable with the site you have to make that decision.
    11-28-2010 07:43 PM
    Check amazon or best buy, both reliable

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    11-28-2010 07:50 PM

Look at Walmart.com (yes, Walmart!) They list Droid X for $79.00 w/ new 2 year contract. goto: Walmart.com: Verizon - Droid X Smartphone by Motorola (Price with New 2-yr Contract): Home Office

I got my Droid X @ Costco 2 months ago for $149...that was before I knew about the Walmart deal

I too came from a Storm 1. I liked the Storm despite popular opinion...but the Droid X is just awesome in comparison. The only thing is it doesn't sync directly with Outlook. Other than that, everything about the Droid X is so clearly superior. It is much easier to type, among other things...and the large screen...OMG. I do not miss Blackberry OS. The android OS is alot more flexible.

Enjoy your new Droid X AND Androidcentral
    11-28-2010 08:01 PM
    Thanks! Wal Mart and Dell both have the phone for 79 on upgrade price. What is this i hear about 2 contracts, one with Dell/walmart and another with verizon?
    11-28-2010 08:06 PM

I wouldn't chance it. For all you know it could be a refurbished phone. As stated above...you get what you pay for.

$79 at Walmart??? Whoa.. That sounds too good to be true. I know where Im going for my next phone.
    11-28-2010 09:24 PM
    Wirefly is reputable. But you need to sign another contract with them for 6 months. I've used them in the past though and their tech support is excellent.
    11-29-2010 01:54 PM
    Dell's Online Store has the Droid X today(Cyber-Monday) for $49.99 with 2yr renewal/upgrades and $9.99 with a new line.
    11-29-2010 02:52 PM

Wirefly has a free Droid w/2yr contract, but that may be just for new customers, which is ME as of today-LOL
    11-29-2010 05:53 PM
    I was not really keen on the third party aspects of purchasing through another vendor other than Verizon Brick and Mortar store so elected to go with them.

Much to my surprise today, when we went into the store the sales rep we had spoken with a week earlier was more than happy to assist us. After 30 minutes of helping my wife decide on a phone, I was able to get the Droid X and for the past couple of hours I have been like a kid in a candy store!

When it came down to price I mentioned that Walmart, Wirefly, LetsTalk...etc all had significantly lower prices. He asked to give him a minute and off he went....he came back within minutes and said they would honor any of the prices online. He pulled the price up on his little tablet thingy and said that they would not only sell us the phone for that price they would also let my wife pick the phone she wanted....she does not like smartphones and only cares if it is small and "pretty".

So for under $100 we walked out with both phones and really enjoyed the experience with our rep at the store.

I would suggest that you ask the store if they will match prices that you find online. Our rep said it was his store owner's policy to match the online pricing so perhaps you could do the same thing????

I am a "trust but verify" person and hope that we have no issues with Verizon as I fired them in 2003 for poor service and horrible bill problems. I hope that the service/billing is as good as our salesperson was...only time will answer that question but I am satisfied with our experience. Could I have haggled for a bit more????? I am not sure, but the fact that they were willing to make a deal with us on the price of the phone made my day!

PS...the phone is really nice and my wife is very happy with her phone (although she liked her old Sony W58i very much)
    11-29-2010 09:24 PM
    Reading that and seeing all these deals almost makes me cry.
    I just bought my DX a couple weeks ago for the full $200, and while I love the phone (way more than my old storm), I also do love me some deals. Maybe I'll just have to return it to Best Buy before the 30 days
    11-29-2010 09:55 PM
    I was not really keen on the third party aspects of purchasing through another vendor other than Verizon Brick and Mortar store so elected to go with them.

Much to my surprise today, when we went into the store the sales rep we had spoken with a week earlier was more than happy to assist us. After 30 minutes of helping my wife decide on a phone, I was able to get the Droid X and for the past couple of hours I have been like a kid in a candy store!

When it came down to price I mentioned that Walmart, Wirefly, LetsTalk...etc all had significantly lower prices. He asked to give him a minute and off he went....he came back within minutes and said they would honor any of the prices online. He pulled the price up on his little tablet thingy and said that they would not only sell us the phone for that price they would also let my wife pick the phone she wanted....she does not like smartphones and only cares if it is small and "pretty".

So for under $100 we walked out with both phones and really enjoyed the experience with our rep at the store.

I would suggest that you ask the store if they will match prices that you find online. Our rep said it was his store owner's policy to match the online pricing so perhaps you could do the same thing????

I am a "trust but verify" person and hope that we have no issues with Verizon as I fired them in 2003 for poor service and horrible bill problems. I hope that the service/billing is as good as our salesperson was...only time will answer that question but I am satisfied with our experience. Could I have haggled for a bit more????? I am not sure, but the fact that they were willing to make a deal with us on the price of the phone made my day!

PS...the phone is really nice and my wife is very happy with her phone (although she liked her old Sony W58i very much)
    You were not in a Corporate store then. You were in an "authorized" retailer.
    11-30-2010 03:28 AM
    How does one tell the difference?? There are 2 stores where I live, and I believe one is corporate and the other is 'authorized'....would like to know which one to go to this Thursday to get upgrade to DX for myself and husband. $99.98 'online price match' would be WAAAAY better than $399.98 corporate!
    11-30-2010 04:49 PM
    How does one tell the difference?? There are 2 stores where I live, and I believe one is corporate and the other is 'authorized'....would like to know which one to go to this Thursday to get upgrade to DX for myself and husband. $99.98 'online price match' would be WAAAAY better than $399.98 corporate!
    Authorized retailers will often have "Authorized Retailer" below the Verizon logo on the front of the store, or on in-store brochures and such. If you don't see that, also look for something like "from CR Wireless" or something along those lines, that is also an indicator that it is an Authorized Retailer and not a Corporate store.

Another example:

ladyknight likes this.
    11-30-2010 05:29 PM
    Ah-ha! Thank you!
    11-30-2010 05:40 PM
    No it certainly was not an "authorized retailer"....there are three corporate verizon stores in my area and it is definitely a corporate store. There are Verizon authorized retailers around the area but we specifically went to a corporate one.
    11-30-2010 09:19 PM
    How do you know this based off of his story? Everything he said can most certainly occur at a Verizon Corporate store.
    11-30-2010 09:37 PM
    Thanks Chris,

I wouldn't have put up the information if it weren't true. I was kind of shocked myself as my experiences with Corporate AT&T stores was quite the opposite of this experience.

As my wife says, "It doesn't hurt to ask", and in this case it sure didn't hurt at all!

I was very surprised that they were allowed to do this to be honest and perhaps others can get a similar experience like we did.

As far as the Droid X...and Andriod in general...I am still trying to get used to the calendar. I never really used Google Calendar at all so I am in a search for a stand alone program for this.

Enjoying the phones and my wife is really happy with her new LG Cosmos!

@ladyknight....I personally liked going to the Verizon Corporate store because there were no third party contacts involved. That is something that really turns me off but others may not have a problem with the terms. I like to keep things as simple as possible. As far as AT&T was for us, the billing, discounts, phone quality were very good and I had no issues with them aside from the phone choices in the Android area.

I think you should ask the Verizon folks if they can do the same thing they did for my wife and I. It can't hurt! Our salesperson was very helpful the first time that we entered the store. Verizon, at least here in our area, asks for your name so they can come and see you if they are helping other customers. To be honest the first time we went into the store last week, I was just looking to see how the phones felt in my hand. Our rep was very helpful and when he told me about the price on the plan we got, it ended up being cheaper than the AT&T store. They also applied my discount that AT&T had as well so that made it all that much better for us. I thanked our rep for his time and got his card and informed him that we would go back to the store when he was there so that he would end up getting the credit for a sale if we went with Verizon. If the salesperson was not very good I would have simply gone to another rep but he was very nice and VERY helpful so he earned our business.

The second trip to the store was on Monday. I called first to make sure our rep would be there. He was very nice and was truly helpful again. This is when I asked about the "price matching".

That is how our experience went in a nutshell! I hope that you are able to get the same service that we did...and in the words of my wife "It doesn't hurt to ask!"

Cheers
    12-01-2010 12:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD