Is Driod X a good go now?

Austin-Black#AC

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, I have had the Moto Droid since last Christmas, and this year i am going to get a new phone, i Don't want to go to BB because I think android is the best out their, so i was wondering.. What is the best phone running an Android OS on Verizon to get? Droid X seems like a good way to go, but you can never be to sure. so i figured i'd ask people who already have it.. thanks :)

anon(4712533)

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I would hold out a bit longer if you can. Some cool new phones are coming out and the X even though the hardware is great, the software is just filled with bugs (its taking two months and maybe longer for moto to get an update out to fix all the bugs), I for one wish I had never gotten the phone I wish I had the DINC, my wife has one and the phone just works.

I suggest researching a few options and if you can test out some phones to see what fits your needs. :cool:

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I like the Droid X because of its performance and size. Others may prefer the INC for Sense UI and its slim.

If your interested in LTE then early next year those phones will be hitting the market...I am eyeing the upcoming LG device. Good Luck.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I think the DX is a good go for now. I don't have any problems with my DX and if you wait a little bit longer you might as well just wait until summer when LTE devices hit the stores.

We are living in some interesting times... Large numbers of new phones used to come out about every 2 years, then that changed to about every year, and now its about every 6 months (+/- a month or two). We can no longer just "wait a little longer" for the next round of phones because there will always be a new round of phones. We have to pick which new wave we're going to ride and then ride it.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
...and it seems no matter what phone you go with, if you want the latest and greatest.

Be prepaired for some bugs in the software of course some have more bugs then others but they all have some :)

Sent using TaPaTaLk

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Came to the X from BlackBerries and never regretted it. Most of the problems I've encountered have been user or app caused. Haven't had the chance to test out the other Android phones, but from the specs, the X is still the most capable, by quite a bit. If the size doesn't bother you (and the size of the screen makes it a small pad-type device re: web), I recommend the X. I think it will hold its own for quite a while.

LTE would be the next level. If you get it in your area, might be worth the wait, as others suggest.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Go to a store and play with the demo units of the DInc, DX, D2, and Fascinate. See which phone you like the most. They all have unique features and their own pluses and minuses. You can't go wrong with any of the four.

Last edited:

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
No matter what device you get, you're going to encounter software bugs and such, no phone is perfect. The DX is still a great device and will be for some time, but if you're willing to wait a bit I would see what Verizon announces in the next month or two. The Dinc HD looks pretty slick.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I like my X. The bugs are tolerable and im sure they will be addressed in an update. I love the size if this phone and multimedia is top notch. Unless you are interested in video calling, there really is no need to wait for something new. I switched from the EVO to the Droid X recently. I thought that I would use the video calling, but I tried it once to see if it worked and never used it again it was a wasted feature. The Droid X was better in just about everything else. I would recommend going with the Droid X. It is a really good phone.

irishguy0224

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
If you want a new phone now get the DX. I had the inc and the fascinate and although i enjoyed them both, they just don't compare. The inc's battery life is a complete deal breaker for me. It is horrible. The fascinate was a really nice phone, but just felt cheap in my hands. The X just "works" it feels solid in the hands and is just a really nice phone. I am quite happy with it.

I am going to be one of the lucky ones to get LTE first of all the people as Rochester, NY is going to have it at the end of this month. So, for me, i will be looking to get something new in the near future, if you aren't on the upcoming list of LTE cities, i would look into getting the X. it is a killer phone.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
The x is very good. I typically go through 3 different phones a year, but I've actually had the x for awhile now because there's nothing I'd rather have at the moment. However I'm sure there wil be some new offerings soon that may be better like the htc evo cousin

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the DX (with Launcher Pro Plus) since Aug and have no regrets. I like trying new apps all the time and hated having to delete an app on my BB before I could try something new. This is not an issue with the DX (D2 or Dinc for that matter). I think its a good bet for now and will be usable for a while.

spark032207#WN

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I'd suggest going into the Verizon store and playing with all their recent Android phones, including Droid 2, Droid X, and Samsung Fascinate. I don't know why no one has mentioned the Fascinate yet, but it's a very very good phone.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'd suggest going into the Verizon store and playing with all their recent Android phones, including Droid 2, Droid X, and Samsung Fascinate. I don't know why no one has mentioned the Fascinate yet, but it's a very very good phone.

+1. I have the Fascinate myself and I love it, but I try to stray away from giving official recommendations to people simply because I don't want to be the reason someone ends up getting something they're not satisfied with. :D

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Best advice is to go to the store and look at the various phones available. Don't forget the Droid Pro and Continuum were just released as well.

As far as bugs, just remember, in the big picture, these are computers. When you take a computer with a fresh OS with nothing loaded into it, you are going to have the ideal perfomance and speed. As you load in data and programs, these factors will affect the OS. Sometimes this reveals itself in the form of bugs. Particularly when you run an open platform that offers software across multiple types of hardware, there will be bugs. This will happen no matter which device you choose, so I definitely wouldn't base my decision on a couple members complaining about their bugs as you don't know what they loaded in.

Having said that, you have a good variety to choose from. The largest screen in Verizons stable is the Droid X. This has been my favorite of them all primarily due to the size of the screen. When looking things up, I don't feel like I have to consistently scroll left, right, up and down to see the page I am looking at. I enjoy the speed, the number of home screens, and the memory. This works best for me.

You now have choices between slim and thick, sliders, Blackberry form factors, once you have decided on form, try it out and make sure your comfortable with it.

If you don't want to worry about contract, buy one off Craigslist for around the same price you would new on contract. This opens your upgrade options down the line.

Good luck, let us know what you decide. :D

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had only ONE bug, and it was the camera bug, which this new OTA update is supposed to fix. So in effect I have zero bugs now, assuming the update doesn't bring any to the table. It's an amazing phone, and it's built like a brick, Apple quality to be honest when it comes to it's design and quality of it's build.

I absolutely love it. I came from a long line up of BlackBerry's and I do not regret it for one minute.

Most people with these "bugs" seem to be people that upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2 and didn't already have it on their phone from the start. Though there's instructions on how to install it from a "clean install" which seems to fix most of those bugs.

Anyway I whole heartidly say go for it. There will always be bigger and badder things down the line, it's life. This phone will hold it's own for the next couple of years.