Issues AFTER 2.3.340 Update!!!

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the update - the performance problems are gone again - it feels like 2.1 ;).

Most annoying bug: when browsing the music app - when I use the back button it pops me back up to the very very top of the list. My GF complained about this too (and she's not a techie).

btw - motorola really should hire her to test phones. She can make this thing hard lock in seconds of using it. She did it last night while using the map tool...

Before that it had been running like a champ!

I'll still never buy another motorola phone ever again, but its mostly usable again for now.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I know so many do not want to consider this but I don't see how it is wise to install a OS upgrade over a modified version of a OS, the upgrade is tested on a clean installed OS with no modifications but everyone is updating the phone with all tweaks intact... I hard reset before every OS upgrade and my device never gives me any issues.

Hard Reset the device will resolve mostly all the issues reported...

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I know so many do not want to consider this but I don't see how it is wise to install a OS upgrade over a modified version of a OS, the upgrade is tested on a clean installed OS with no modifications but everyone is updating the phone with all tweaks intact... I hard reset before every OS upgrade and my device never gives me any issues.

Thats probably bull though - if Motorola didn't test this upgrade on a variety of pre-installed configurations and versions of applications I'd say they are negligent.

At Adobe we used to test Reader patches against every single build of Windows (2000 - Windows 7 x86/x64) and every single build of OS-X 10.4.x on - on over 25 languages (yes think about that - that is a TON of testing). We never assumed users were deinstalling and reinstalling our apps every time a patch came out.

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
my battery life has been draining significantly is anyone else having this issue?

mine also!

i normally listen to pandora via my bluetooth headset for about 4 hours on a job.
prior to the update after 4 hours of listening, my battery would be at 70%.
after the update after 4 hours of listening, my battery is at 30%.

big difference:eek:

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site

Thats probably bull though - if Motorola didn't test this upgrade on a variety of pre-installed configurations and versions of applications I'd say they are negligent.

At Adobe we used to test Reader patches against every single build of Windows (2000 - Windows 7 x86/x64) and every single build of OS-X 10.4.x on - on over 25 languages (yes think about that - that is a TON of testing). We never assumed users were deinstalling and reinstalling our apps every time a patch came out.

While both of you have good points about it, there's a thread that was started back when 2.2 came out about how doing a complete factory reset of the phone would resolve some of the "strange" issues people were having by just installing a new OS on top of a pre-existing OS. Most of... yes, I say most of the users that followed the instructions step by step reported a better running device. Whether or not the installation of 2.2 was hampered by the pre-existing 2.1, who knows. I can maybe see where doing this after the patch upgrade might help, but I can't give any insight because I wiped my phone after updating to 2.2.1 and then installed ApeX 1.3.0. And yes, I agree that if all it takes was a simple factory reset to solve some issues caused by updating, then Motorola doesn't do enough testing.

scandluz22

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Phone was working fine after update, but the last 2 times I disconnected from my computer the phone froze up for a few and ran buggy afterwards. I had to power down the phone and restart it and it works fine each time.

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm having an issue with my phone, since the update, where the screen will randomly turn on to the lock screen, stay on for about 10-15 seconds, and then shut off. It's happening all throughout the day and night.

Oh, and I'm still having the issue of the screen going completely unresponsive to any and all touch, requiring my to turn the screen off and back on again before it will work. Had this issue since about a month after I got the phone, and Verizon is refusing to do anything about it.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm having an issue with my phone, since the update, where the screen will randomly turn on to the lock screen, stay on for about 10-15 seconds, and then shut off. It's happening all throughout the day and night.

Oh, and I'm still having the issue of the screen going completely unresponsive to any and all touch, requiring my to turn the screen off and back on again before it will work. Had this issue since about a month after I got the phone, and Verizon is refusing to do anything about it.

That might call for a hard/factory reset. Back everything up onto your SD card and wipe the phone, start over. This should fix any issues you're having with unresponsiveness. If for some reason it's still being unresponsive, then you might have a bad digitizer. In this case, if you have insurance on your phone you may need to get a replacement.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Phone was working fine after update, but the last 2 times I disconnected from my computer the phone froze up for a few and ran buggy afterwards. I had to power down the phone and restart it and it works fine each time.

There seems to be a lot of people reporting issues with device to computer connectivity. I've had issues where if I go from USB mass storage to charge only while it's connected to my computer, it will freeze and reboot itself. Others are saying as soon as they connect it to the computer via USB it reboots.

Matrix_Prime

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
That might call for a hard/factory reset. Back everything up onto your SD card and wipe the phone, start over. This should fix any issues you're having with unresponsiveness. If for some reason it's still being unresponsive, then you might have a bad digitizer. In this case, if you have insurance on your phone you may need to get a replacement.

I've done the factory reset a couple of times, same issue. Unfortunately I don't have insurance on it :(
I'm thinking about just buying a new, different model, phone. Yeah, i have to pay full price, but if it works, it might be worth it.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I've done the factory reset a couple of times, same issue. Unfortunately I don't have insurance on it :(
I'm thinking about just buying a new, different model, phone. Yeah, i have to pay full price, but if it works, it might be worth it.

Then it's definitely a hardware issue. However... if you're brave enough to take it apart, try replacing the digitizer. You can probably call Motorola and get the screen replaced for about $75 or so. That or you can try to find a replacement screen and do it yourself, shouldn't be too hard and there are disassembly videos online. Better than paying $500+ for a new phone, same or different.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Your phone has a 1 year warranty. I would take it back to Verizon and insist they fix or replace the phone. Be persistent!!!!

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Your phone has a 1 year warranty. I would take it back to Verizon and insist they fix or replace the phone. Be persistent!!!!

The 1-year warranty is a manufacturer's warranty, so Verizon can't do much about it. He would have to contact Motorola about sending it to them and having them fix it, only downside is not having a phone to use and the unknown length of time without it, unless he has a backup to use temporarily.

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
While both of you have good points about it, there's a thread that was started back when 2.2 came out about how doing a complete factory reset of the phone would resolve some of the "strange" issues people were having by just installing a new OS on top of a pre-existing OS. Most of... yes, I say most of the users that followed the instructions step by step reported a better running device. Whether or not the installation of 2.2 was hampered by the pre-existing 2.1, who knows. I can maybe see where doing this after the patch upgrade might help, but I can't give any insight because I wiped my phone after updating to 2.2.1 and then installed ApeX 1.3.0. And yes, I agree that if all it takes was a simple factory reset to solve some issues caused by updating, then Motorola doesn't do enough testing.

I'd agree thats certainly a good troubleshooting step when things don't work properly, but I'd disagree that should be required step to upgrade the firmware.

Doing those instructions on the sticky btw - did yield better results overall, but 2.2 did have a lot of problems that still went unresolved - all of which were solved in 2.2.1 (so far at least) so I feel somewhat vindicated in saying yes the issue was on there end. Things like - the cam-corder mode would let you record like 3 movies then after that it would just quit - you'd have to reboot the phone to record another clip - YouTube - Passion Pit Sleepy Head at the Crystal Ballroom is a clip I recorded after a restart in the middle of a concert ... The music player FREQUENTLY became non responsive or just quit (if you had the phone in portrait mode and flipped through albums the quit issue happened about 70%-80% of the time). None of those issues were solved by hard resets. And then there were the random hangs on the phone - where for sometimes minutes at a time the phone would act just frozen - then when it was done spazzing out (really who knows right?) would be just fine and nice and fast.

I'm not actually having the usb switch problem myself - I actually was debugging something on my phone the other day and constantly switched between modes with no problems.

My gf loaded google maps over the weekend to find this bar downtown and it hard locks - go figure.

Anyhow that said - this phone is still light years better than my Nokia N97 (or any other Nokia phone I had) - but... worse than my Nexus One when it comes to software reliability (but it has a much much better touch screen).

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
just found that my gmail was downloading everything 2 times, a reset fixed it. I wish i knew why the stock email client started downloading everything 2 times, but i guess we'll never know

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The 1-year warranty is a manufacturer's warranty, so Verizon can't do much about it. He would have to contact Motorola about sending it to them and having them fix it, only downside is not having a phone to use and the unknown length of time without it, unless he has a backup to use temporarily.

I ALWAYS went thru Verizon when calling about the manufacturer's warranty. Just call and tell them something is wrong with the device, they'll try to trouble shoot it, and then send you a replacement within two days. If one person turned you down, simply call again. I have NEVER had to call the actual company for a replacement within the warranty and I'm positive you don't either.

bgpasha

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Just got the update pushed to my phone. Its rooted and has bunch of morphs and nothing else. Shld I unroot before instaling or just go for it. Hard reset? - how is that done? TIA!

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Just got the update pushed to my phone. Its rooted and has bunch of morphs and nothing else. Shld I unroot before instaling or just go for it. Hard reset? - how is that done? TIA!

You got to settings/privacy/factory data reset.

You may want to revert those morphs back to stock, and the root will be lost once you update but just use Z4root to get it back after you're up and running.

bgpasha

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
thanx, but how do i revert morphs back to stock
and yea I forgot Im running that theme 928 or what ever its called that deodoxes my phone

bthomasltd

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I have also had the Gallary problem. Click it once, then it would flash the folders, then back to the home screen. I actually did a factory reset, and the device has never been faster, more responsive, better battery conserving. I also kept a few unneeded apps off the device so that may help contribute to the battey conserving if they needed background updates. not sure though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz