I have and regularly use a bunch of apps, many of which could be causing the significant lag and RAM issues I'm experiencing with my DX. I want to post a few suspects and hope to see if anyone else has or notices the same thing.
    Note: by lag I mean texts messages take a few seconds to open when i select the notification, games like doodle jump and angry birds are often choppy, and the whole device is a bit slower performancewise than when it was new. Also, according to MiniInfo the used RAM is 419/477MB, give or take.

Also, my battery dies after <8 hours regularly

Suspects:
    MiniInfo Pro
    LauncherPro
    Advanced Task Manager Pro
    Lookout Mobile Security
    Beautiful Widgets
    kiK messenger
    Handcent SMS
    The Weather Channel
    Facebook
    12-12-2010 02:28 AM
    I've used most of these apps and didn't notice a huge lag. Haven't used mini info, kik, or the weather channel. The easiest way to find the apps that are eating your memory is to go to settings>applications>manage applications. From there you can view the apps that are running and sort by size. That will give you the exact memory that your apps are using.
    12-12-2010 02:59 AM
    The app "Android System Info" is also good for checking CPU and RAM usage.
    12-12-2010 03:24 AM
    I use five out of the nine apps you listed and zero negative effects.
    12-12-2010 08:57 AM
    My vote is this one: Advanced Task Manager Pro

...especially if your killing services/apps that keep restarting.
    12-12-2010 09:15 AM
    My vote is this one: Advanced Task Manager Pro

...especially if your killing services/apps that keep restarting.
    +1 for that being the culprit
    12-12-2010 09:28 AM
    i have found the greatest bang for the buck doing three things (lag and battery life):

1. installed Juice Defender (quickly upgraded to Pro version, won't go back)
    2. removed task killers
    3. switched from Launcher Pro to ADW Launcher.
    12-12-2010 10:39 AM
    I disagree with ATK causing this, if so maybe because of it being configured wrong because I am using it and I never notice any major Ram Usage. Are you using the kill on screen is turned off, I noticed more battery usage when set to close every few minutes.
    12-12-2010 01:44 PM
    I disagree with ATK causing this, if so maybe because of it being configured wrong because I am using it and I never notice any major Ram Usage. Are you using the kill on screen is turned off, I noticed more battery usage when set to close every few minutes.
    +1. ATK does not hurt your phone when configured. Even without any configuration, to kill apps would be a manual process. Again, not causing battery drain or (noticeable) lag.

The easiest way to find the culprit is this...delete your apps and monitor the phone in that state then, add back one app at a time monitoring the phone for battery drain and lag prior to and after the installation of each app. That is really the only fool proof way. This will take time but much more effective than unproven opinions.

In the end if your experiencing the same issues then, you can move on to the OS or even test out the battery.....
    KQCrackberry likes this.
    12-12-2010 03:59 PM
    Watchdog works well.
    it'll monitor your cpu usage and warn you when something is hogging it.
    12-12-2010 04:10 PM
    Advanced Task Manager is both killing your battery and causing your lag. Delete that, then you should clear your cache. You'll be golden.
    12-12-2010 05:57 PM
    Task managers are counter intuitive. Don't need them, verry bad on system.
    12-12-2010 06:03 PM