Magnet effects from case

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I bought a nice (red) brand-name leather top case that has a magnetic closure. I KNOW ... I shouldn't have done that, but there were no other good-looking, quality alternatives that I could find. I especially like it because I can slip the X in and out easily. Most holsters require two hands to free the X and are relatively bulky.

Now that I have it, though, I'm afraid to use it because my poor X has fits when I take it out and needs a minute or two (or an off/on) to settle down.

Has anyone had success with this type of case? I know there is no app that can change it's car dock or multi-media dock reactions. But how serious is the disruption caused by the magnets? Is it a deal-breaker?

And, I have to ask, then why are they sold on Android websites?

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am using the VZW horizontal case with mag closure and have not had any issues. You might try turning your DX to face in the opposite direction (out vs. in or down vs. up). It may help.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I had the one from Verizon and my phone was turned on every time I put it in and took it out. My batt was done within four hours. Im looking for one with now magnets. I can pass my dx over the case and my car dock turns on.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I had the one from Verizon and my phone was turned on every time I put it in and took it out. My batt was done within four hours. Im looking for one with now magnets. I can pass my dx over the case and my car dock turns on.

Sounds like the one I have, and I bought it from this site's store. It's the "Smartphone Experts top case for Motorola Droid X". It IS designed specifically for the X, with proper openings for power and USB, and is built narrow at the bottom and wider at the top - as per the X silhouette. And, it wasn't cheap - $30 incl shipping. What a great disappointment.

Why is this case listed for the X when it doesn't work with it due to the magnetic closure?

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. It seems to be getting worse by the week since maybe mid-November. I bought it from the Verizon online store with the phone in early September. It even has the Verizon logo on it. You'd think Verizon would know or should know that this would not work with the Droid X. Anyway, I wrote to Verizon and they credited my account for the cost of the case. now I just need to figure out what I'm getting instead. Getting annoying pulling the phone out of the case and having the phone be so hot....and low on battery power.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I have the Verizon leather case. Since my droid 1 days I always face the screen out. This way the mag does not touch the back if the phone. It has yet to launch anything in holster. The mag does not mess up your screen. A year with the droid and the X since launch and never had a problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

bad05gtt

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I bought a cheap case that had magnets. My phone was on every time i pulled my phone out. I just cut the magnets out from the inside, glued the lining back together (2 very small magnets...2 very small cuts) Bought some velcro brand fasteners with the sticky backs and my problem was solved !!! Hope this helps !

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I see the suggestion about facing it out on many of the message boards. I have ALWAYS faced mine out. Doing it that way brings up the CarDock feature maybe 1 out of 5 times. If I face it inward, it brings up the Media Dock or whatever the other option is called, EVERY time. Having it facing outward used to be just fine. It was not a problem until about October or November. Almost like an update made it react to a weaker magnet, or some of the padding over the magnets is wearing off. And the apps that people have suggested to override it are not working properly for me. I saw some posts that said that Froyo made them ineffective.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
You probably should not use cases with magnets. Magnets sensors on the phone are used to trigger 2 different modes. Car Dock Mode and Multi Media mode. When in these modes your screen may not turn off and negatively impact battery performance.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
The Verizon made case for the X does not even set off any app no matter how I put my phone in. Im just used to screen out. Do it that way no issues. I have never launched a app or kept the screen on since the X launch date.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Carefully slit the magnets out (and Wow! they are strong magnets!), reglued the lining and am good to go. Will add the stick-on Velcro as soon as I can get some.

blaidth

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I has this trouble with the verizon case.car dock or mediadock would show up.noticed that this affected the lock function. Well got tired of that.... So I took the batteries out. Still use the case without, fits snug enough that even flap open some is fine with me.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I use the free app Dock Nothingness. The first time your device encounters the magnet after the app is loaded, you will get a pop up window asking you to choose between Dock Nothingness and the Dock app. Choose Dock Nothingness and check off Always and you're done. No cutting your case required. ;)

Reactions: Arelunde

croldan72

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I use the free app Dock Nothingness. The first time your device encounters the magnet after the app is loaded, you will get a pop up window asking you to choose between Dock Nothingness and the Dock app. Choose Dock Nothingness and check off Always and you're done. No cutting your case required. ;)

Won't that mean that if you do use a dock, the car dock or multimedia dock won't launch? I use both and tried 'nodock' but then had to manually launch my dock apps.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I said it many times face the screen out!!!! Easy simple fix if you have this issue.

Unfortunately, for me at least, X direction didn't solve the problem - facing in was media dock; facing out was car dock. No escaping it. May have been that the magnets were so very strong! I'm saving them for some other use (not sure what) because they are actually very good magnets. Too good.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Unfortunately, for me at least, X direction didn't solve the problem - facing in was media dock; facing out was car dock. No escaping it. May have been that the magnets were so very strong! I'm saving them for some other use (not sure what) because they are actually very good magnets. Too good.

Lol hang photos on the fridge.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon