Leaving Sprint (maybe) and have Droid X / Verizon question

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Short story (I hope)

I have a family plan with Sprint that has two EVO's on it. Been having major slow network speeds in my area and Sprint just canceled my contracts. Looking to switch over to a pair of Droid X phones on Verizon.

Question is...

I know the Droid X has been out for a a little while (about as "old" as my EVO) do you think its a good time to make the switch now? I would wait a little bit BUT when I asked Sprint how long i would be contract free she said since I technically have 16 months left they will audit the account after 30 days or so to see why I didn't close the account. And if I was using the lines it could reset my contract. And well not wanting to kick a gift horse in the mouth I left it as it was.

My only concern is how are verzon 3g speeds in my area :confused: I know I could try Verizon prior to porting from Sprint... but I like my EVO and my wife said nothing with a screen smaller then her EVO (we both came from iPhones and LOVE the screen on these EVOs - I assume the droid x is same or maybe better) Then 2nd kicker is what if they announe a better phone in 2 months (which I know will always be the case but maybe 6-8 months out LOL)

OK thanks in advance
John

coltsbr

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
What area are you in?

I have messed with the EVO 4G and love the screen size. I think if you switch you will be very happy with the X but I would also say just give a try first.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Verizon has a BOGO sale going on now on all smartphones, at least in my area.

Two Droid X devices for the after rebate price of $200 is a good deal IMO. ;)

Yes, there will always be new, faster, devices coming out, but till LTE comes out in your area, you won't be too bad off with the X and Verizon's 3G network. The X is the best current smartphone available on Verizon now. If you can, you might want to consider buying the X's on a one year contract, it usually is $70 more than a 2 year contract.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
If you can and don't mind waiting you should, VZWs 4G network is coming and so are phones that can support it. I love my Droid X and their 3G network, and where I live isn't going to have 4G for a while so it works for me.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
If LTE doesn't interest you then yea, go with the DX.

at $200 for 2 phones it's a very cheap risk.

If you can wait til CES though that might be worth it just for peace of mind. If you don't see a DX upgrade there you probably won't for another 6 months.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
If verizon works better in your area then I would jump on it. You aren't getting your money out of your current phones so it is a waist for you. I would imagine you could possibly even sell your evos to pay for the new phones.

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
If LTE doesn't interest you then yea, go with the DX.

at $200 for 2 phones it's a very cheap risk.

If you can wait til CES though that might be worth it just for peace of mind. If you don't see a DX upgrade there you probably won't for another 6 months.

Yeah I'd like to wait till CES as well... And LTE is a non issue since I doubt my area will have LTE anytime soon if ever :) I'm in the northwest corner of Connecticut.

Data speeds have been about 100-300k down and a HIGH .6-1.1m up.

I heard a rumor that when Verizon updates to LTE the 3g evdo network on the same tower taps into its backhall is that true? Seems like Verizon would not want to do that, no?

I'd be happy with around 500k down more or less (yea faster is better) its just that one example is when we go for walks we use rhapsody (which is a nice change from iTunes) and on my daily drive to work I use Twits app or podcast app - it keeps timing out unless I pre download on my wifi; which isn't always convient. Myabe I'm being too demanding. Plus Sprint rate is cheaper -- but I think coverage with Verizon is best

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
another point to consider, whatever replaces the DX it will probably cost 200-250 per device initially...

200 now or 400-500 later for 2 phones.

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
another point to consider, whatever replaces the DX it will probably cost 200-250 per device initially...

200 now or 400-500 later for 2 phones.

That is a damn good point sir!

Amazon has them for $100 a pair no activations - monthly bill should be about $125 for 700-talk/text plan both unlimited data (including my employer's discount I get and the free voice for the 2nd line) damn tempting it is

I'm starting to read up on the DX and the 2.2.1 update should make it more stable correct? And the hardware should power Gingerbread just fine - in fact I think the CPU/GPU is a tad better then my EVO no.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
That is a damn good point sir!

Amazon has them for $100 a pair no activations - monthly bill should be about $125 for 700-talk/text plan both unlimited data (including my employer's discount I get and the free voice for the 2nd line) damn tempting it is

I'm starting to read up on the DX and the 2.2.1 update should make it more stable correct? And the hardware should power Gingerbread just fine - in fact I think the CPU/GPU is a tad better then my EVO no.

DX is pretty stable and it should get gingerbread but there aren't any guarantees.

Compare Phones – Google Phone Gallery

DX vs EVO comparison.

they are almost the same, i like the capacitive buttons on the EVO better than the physical ones on the DX but I hate sprint so that's an easy trade off :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49